Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This started with a posting on this forum a few years ago, someone showed the top picture asking advice what to do with it. I watched it a few days and the concensus was to part it out. It had the old barrel & cylinder with it & had new 1950s Vintage Colt barrel, cylinder & innards, with busted plastic grips. At that point I suggested it could have a value as-is of $800 or a future may $2K as a rebuilt Artillery. The thread moved on & couple weeks later the owner sent me a PM saying since I was the only one who showed interest, I could have it for $530, shipped -- so I bought it.

Middle is the configuration I gave it as a semi-Artillery, I toned the finish & made a believable one piece grip. The finish took some doing because it had been metalized with aluminum, a molten metal spray-on procedure from the '50s, but it scraped off, just tedious doing it. In the inset the aluminum can be seen on the barrel, along with a close-up of the US mark on the frame.

Below is its final present configuration with a 1901 grip group.

The interesting part for me started with discovering the original cylinder was Ainsley marked and I sacrificed for $300, bringing my money in the project down to $230 from the original 530. Then I was unable to refuse a trade of a 1901 grip group about 60% finish plus $500, for my original grip group with 3 & 4 digit numbers. Now I have a homogenized SAA with a perfect bore, old US frame, new '50s innards for no cost to me and couple hundred in my pocket.

My activities in the SAA thru New Service & pre-1911s era have been entirely in buying to restore and/or assemble from parts I collected, never sold off or traded any. This Artillery event started with the offer I couldn't refuse & since it was already compromised I decided to take it or follow wherever it went, possibly to the dismay of Colt purists. The end result is my remaining piece, a semi modern assembly on an early US military frame maybe worth the $800 I guestimated at first. Somewhere out there are two persons happy getting some authentic parts to complete their Artillery projects.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
As usual a great job but I would expect nothing less from u,I'm like u are I won't sell a colt but will trade,if I sold it I'd do something foolish w/the money like pay a bill.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I believe Robert could take a pile of scrap metal and odds & ends and turn it into a gun......oh wait, he's already done that!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hi Robert,

Interesting, and fun project. So you have a SAA with US frame that spans from 18?? to 1950.

To recap with some questions:

It has a post war SAA marked .45 barrel and cyl bought new in 1950's.
How did you date bar & cyl to 1950's?
Rampant Colt on rear face of cyl?
Last four digits of serial # on barrel under ERH?
Any roll marks on the right side of barrel?

I see it has post 1886 flat oval ejector head now.
Style #2 or 3 ejector housing?

What year was the artillery frame produced?
Pre 1881 and would have had the 'bullseye' ejector head?
Or Pre 1884 since it had the rectangular trigger guard?

Now it has a 1884 to 1917 round trigger guard strap and probably the pre 1919 exposed serial numbers on guard strap and butt, right?
Are the grips number matching to the straps?

Thanks, I love these "Colt puzzles".
JIm

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hondo44 - attempt at answers:

To demonstrate my devotion to serious forum members. I, at 89, couple days after 4th chemo for lymphoma, clambered down to the basement to get the gun to look at for some answer info.

I'M far from a guru on SAAs but I'll try -- First to finish my story, I used the original barrel with nice bore & RAC mark, on one of my New Servce Snub re-creations. Barrel had been cut off a little short of the ejector tube.

As for 1950s date, from LGS 'experts', no rampcolt on rear of cyl, Colt Mfg.etc., on right side of bbl. Both bbl/cyl sharp like new. I don't ID ERH?? but bbl nbrs are shown above, different from frame s/n.

I think the entire ejector was new with the bbl & cyl becuse it shows no wear at the screw hole.

Altho it came with replaced trigger, it was broken off short. I gave it a new correct length but need to work on the engagement angle a little to correct the 'hair trigger' situation.

Frame s/n is 925XX below faint DFC, proofhouse dates at 1883. Grip frames date 1901 & grip do match straps.

I remember buying new old-stock Colt parts, a barrel, grip frame set, etc., for several SAA & Colt perc jobs from Dixie Gun Works back '49 into the '50s.

Now pretty much back down memory lane, I do claim guru status in restoration of pre-percussion guns, the earlier the better, with many example of importance provenance in major collections & exhibits. You can google me R.H. McCrory for more info than you will want.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Robert,
I appreciate the update. You did a fine job and thanks for the details! I hope I can do as well when I get to be as 'young' as you. Take good and I hope all goes well for you.

All me best,
Jim

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oakridge --- There's a Vol I & a Vol II of Lock Stock & Barrel, sometimes on eBay... I sold my copyright and copies of them and my Modern Kentucky Rifle about 25 years ago to Pioneer Press, a division of Dixie Gun Works who kept them in print for a while. I don't know the situation now. I had sold about 50,000 copies of Modern KY Rifle.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I love these posts by rhmc24. Not only does he wow us with his skill at bringing an otherwise junker back to life but also does it with some great stories. I now have to find those books as I just know they will be a great read.

Rio

1 - 11 of 11 Posts