Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a colt small frame lightening rifle. The forearm is checkered but the stock is not. The seller told me its a deluxe but I'm not sure cause the stock is not checkered. It has probably 80% bluing and the wood is nice. It has a peep sight not sure if its from factory, he says it is. Cannot see the Colt horse and the buttstock is factory. The bore is shiny and with good rifling. He wants 3,500 or a trade of a nice 1885 Winchester that I value at 2,000 plus he wants 1,000 cash. I just don't want to trade a real nice gun and over pay for another nice gun. I have pics but cannot get them uploaded. I know the pics would help immensely to value the gun but could yall tell me if 3,000 is too much?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
I had a look on Gunbroker (completed listings) and there are several listed unsold in the $1500 range. $3000 sounds way over priced to me.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
The fore-ends were checkered on a lot of the small frames. Buttstocks were not. I don't think there even was a small frame deluxe. These are fairly common and I wouldn't trade a single shot Winchester for it. Those Colts are more like $1000 dollar guns.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think too much. Hell I have a good small frame I'd trade you for the 1885 straight up if that's what your after. You know they are 22 long.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cannot see the Colt horse
That's a big draw back. First thing to go if any refinishing has been done. They were stamped pretty lightly to begin with. One would think with 80% bluing, the Colt would still be visible.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,073 Posts
Don't do it. Too much money. They did make a deluxe 22. Beautiful little rifles. The rampant colt should be on the receiver. Wish I had some better pictures. They are great shooters. Many of the lightnings have straight stocks with a checkered forearm and a plain stock. I have shot all of these.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I have heard if the tang sight has a "C" on it, it was made for the colt. Way over priced. I have a finish challenged shooter that the bore was shot out. I had it reclined. Now it's a great shooter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts