Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been collecting Colt snake guns for the past couple of years. I started with a 1981 blue 6" Python which I still have and then I got bit by the bug. One Python turned into another turned into an Anaconda turned into a Cobra and turned into a Diamondback. Then..... turned into SS, Blue, Nickle and other variants of each gone and different barrel lengths my wife thought I was crazy.

As I have collected these snake guns I have enjoyed seeing the appreciation not only monetarily but of other lovers of the gun. They are truly beautiful.

However, the question I have is when will the craziness stop with the prices. Somewhere along the line people are going to get burned bad. I own over 30 of these guns and have been lucky enough to get good deals, however, a good deal for me is the price of a used car for someone to get back and forth to work on. So when I see a gun for over 35K on GB I think wow how much more can this market take and where am I going to be at with my investment if everything crashes.

Whats your opinion? I would like to hear different opinions of people here in the forum. Do you believe it is us who are driving the price up / artificially inflating it? Why would a Boa set double in value in less than 12 months? I look forward to the responses. This is an important topic.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It all depends on which bubble your are riding.

If you buy only NIB perfect examples for your collection you have nothing to worry about, your collection will continue to appreciate. If buy mediocre guns, you will see mediocre returns. If you over pay for mediocre guns, then you may have problems. If you over pay for NIB perfect examples, your only obstacle is to live for few more months,, if you are behind now you wont be behind for long. Time heals if you use the right medicine.

J.F.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree in some aspects of this and i disagree on others. I think that NIB examples will actually begin to plummet, but this is just my .02

You see there are far fewer true collectors out there with a trained eye than there are people with cash wanting to make an "investment" in the Colt world. There are too many repo boxes being made and too many people who do not want to take the time to figure it all out. Sure the NIB examples will continue to increase in value between valued collectors, but not to the minds of the very day "Joe."

The guns that are going to rise the most are the "1 off guns." They made A TON!! of 4" Nickel Pythons and in the past year the values have stayed nearly the same on these guns

The Boas, 3" guns, First edition anacondas, silver snakes, 8" King Cobras, snub KC's and other guns have greatly increased in value

How many people do you know who own a 3" Python that would be willing to sell it for less than what they paid for it?

People still sell "every day pythons" in order to gain money because they are hurting (so in this aspect I agree)

but I think NIB will eventually hurt us with all the fake boxes going around

just my opinion

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I do not think NIB Colts will ever plummet because there are always high end buyers willing to pay for the very best. Cars, boats houses etc. The supply of NIB Colts are getting smaller and the supply of wealthy buyers is ever growing.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Sorry John but I have to disagree. There are MANY more nib colts today than there were 3 years ago!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
"but I think NIB will eventually hurt us with all the fake boxes going around" When John said NIB, he means New in Correct box.
How many people that are not members of this forum do you know that can distinguish a real box from a REPO?

Which is why I said that outside of serious collectors who know what they are looking at, it will eventually just hurt the market. Also, with time there will be less people who are knowledgable on these guns (i'm talking 20-40 years) ... and I will use WW II model 1911's for that or 1st Gen SAA's. There are not as many collectors in those categories because too many people have been burned and the education has not been passed on

Conversations will go like this

Seller: It's NIB
Buyer: I've heard that before
Seller: But i'm a serious collect and I know what I have
Buyer: I've heard that before too

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I believe John is right here, I have quit buying anything that is not NIB except pre war or rare Colts. I also pay a lot of attention where I get the gun to make sure it is authentic. The newbie which I still am needs to learn fast, they will get burned by fake boxes, not knowing fair price, poor quality pictures not showing flaws, wrong grips, refinish, etc. etc. but that's where if they become a true collector, they form friendships with honest sellers and experts like this forum. The # of REAL NIB examples or authentic desirable or rare pieces will NEVER increase, your job as investor, collector is to find the real pieces at fair prices. LNIB Pythons refinished and fake boxes will increase there's a lot of $$$$ in it for thieves. High end collectors are not normally stupid, they try and spend, invest their $$ wisely, they learn quickly.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The thing that happened with me is a bought some guns from honest sellers, it doesn't take long to figure out who they are. The ones I have met sent me to this site, they have been happy to share their knowledge and even look at guns I consider and advise me. As dealers drop out new sellers will come in and be just as wise and honest. This is a business they can make $$ at, they will compete and learn the business, this is just capitalism, the hard working seller will learn his product and build his or her business. If you talk to anyone who is buying guns send them to this forum, it is the cheapest most valuable education they will ever get at this hobby.
How many people that are not members of this forum do you know that can distinguish a real box from a REPO?

Which is why I said that outside of serious collectors who know what they are looking at, it will eventually just hurt the market. Also, with time there will be less people who are knowledgable on these guns (i'm talking 20-40 years) ... and I will use WW II model 1911's for that or 1st Gen SAA's. There are not as many collectors in those categories because too many people have been burned and the education has not been passed on

Conversations will go like this

Seller: It's NIB
Buyer: I've heard that before
Seller: But i'm a serious collect and I know what I have
Buyer: I've heard that before too

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That could fool you Marc? That could fool John? That could fool many other quality collectors and sellers? The newbie has to learn quick but fake packages doesn't hurt price of REAL packages, it probably helps them. JMHO
Sorry John but I have to disagree. There are MANY more nib colts today than there were 3 years ago!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
The thing that happened with me is a bought some guns from honest sellers, it doesn't take long to figure out who they are. The ones I have met sent me to this site, they have been happy to share their knowledge and even look at guns I consider and advise me. As dealers drop out new sellers will come in and be just as wise and honest. This is a business they can make $$ at, they will compete and learn the business, this is just capitalism, the hard working seller will learn his product and build his or her business. If you talk to anyone who is buying guns send them to this forum, it is the cheapest most valuable education they will ever get at this hobby.
I agree and this forum as taught me a lot, but everything comes in generations and eventually will fade out. I am probably one of the youngest collectors on this forum... but I truly sit and wonder how many others that are my age will try to pick up the knowledge of this, now or in their later years

Once again I use the example of 1st Gen SAA's or WWII 1911's

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It is a step by step process for me, I started with Snakes, then Bears, then SAA 3rd Gen, then SAA 2nd Gen, then some pre wars, now have a 1st Gen SAA, by the time I collected for a month or so a seller, forum member sent me to this site ( Thanks Marc ) because I was bidding on a fake. Since then I have not bought a fake, I am aware of them, and have acquired friends here to help me with their opinions on auction guns, and I buy from trusted sellers and forum members.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I disagree, I think there will be more legitimate NIB examples hitting the market. There is likely a defined "age group" of the people who have these guns sitting in safes, and have for years. You're probably starting to see that group start to pass, resulting in their "estates" hitting the market.

The fakes, and Gunbroker's blind eye to them, is a problem, though. Anybody ever considered a "ColtBroker" website? ...that is specific only to Colts and can provide policing of auctions and sellers?

·
Registered
979 Posts
It is a step by step process for me, I started with Snakes, then Bears, then SAA 3rd Gen, then SAA 2nd Gen, then some pre wars, now have a 1st Gen SAA, by the time I collected for a month or so a seller, forum member sent me to this site ( Thanks Marc ) because I was bidding on a fake. Since then I have not bought a fake, I am aware of them, and have acquired friends here to help me with their opinions on auction guns, and I buy from trusted sellers and forum members.
but how many people are you? how many people are us?

I am not disagreeing with you, I am just simply offering other forms of thinking on these types of things. I agree with you in many ways, I am just trying to see it from other standpoints as well (sometimes I can rant on sides of things that I don't necessarily agree with, but the thought process is still logical, right?

TJ you have a nice collection, that would make many people jealous. I am just saying for all of us to make sure we try to educate others, it will only help us more in the long run. I also wish that Colt would take actions against the gun in TN and help out a stop to this kind of thing

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I absolutely think you are completely logical. I don't know who is right, I believe boys like their toys, thus gun collecting. This is a big family with all kinds of collectors and I absolutely respect and acknowledge the collectors who buy what ever guns they want can be successful at that. Just like their can only be so many NIB high $$$$ guns, there can only be so many of any thing else. A 1972 Python shooter can be an investment, the same year true 97% can be a great investment, the key to me is to get authentic pieces and educate newbies, I don't think any one wants their hard earned $$ stolen thru deception.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bubble...maybe, stagnant prices...maybe....slow appreciation. ...maybe...burst...no. if anyone would like to sell there snakes for less than they paid then PM me! Since I wont with mine, and you dont with yours, i have to assume the entry price is set and can only go up.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.