Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided that I want to get all the Colt Snake guns. I have 2 Pythons and my next one is going to be an Anaconda. From a collectors stand point what should I look for? Barrel length? Finish? Year? Caliber? After that maybe a King Cobra.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
All the snake guns...... As soon as you have one of each, then you will want one of each barrel length and finish. Collect what you like. The 44mag is the more common caliber of the Anaconda and the 6" barrel is the most common length. For regular production there is also 4" and 8" barrel lengths in both calibers. Then there are limited runs of them as well including but not limited to a 5" barrel, First Edition, Realtree (with a few different variations of that one), legacy edition, bead blast, Ported versions and I'm sure plenty others. From a collector standpoint when it comes to Anacondas, less common is "better".

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Viper was my last and hardest to find. Beware of fakes! Paid more than my NIB Python Elite

I tried to collect the harder to find ones:

Anaconda- 5 inch or 4 inch 45 Colt
King Cobra - 2 inchblue
Diamondback - 2 inch .22 cal
Cobra - 3 inch .22 cal

Good luck! And post pictures of your progress

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Boa and Viper...they will determine what is best to collect after you have them...and by what little money you have left to split between the Python, Cobra, King Cobra, Anaconda and Diamondback.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do already have 2 6" royal blue Pythons.....so I could sell one of them to use towards another. But then again I really don't want to get rid of any of them

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd say skip the boa and collect the condition, model and features that you either really want or what comes your way. The thing I've learned from gun ownership (for me) is that the hunt is the best part. Then shooting. While GunBroker and other sites are great, I really like finding a something special at a LGS or pawn shop. For me that is where the magic happens! :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
32 Posts
All the snake guns...... As soon as you have one of each, then you will want one of each barrel length and finish. Collect what you like. The 44mag is the more common caliber of the Anaconda and the 6" barrel is the most common length. For regular production there is also 4" and 8" barrel lengths in both calibers. Then there are limited runs of them as well including but not limited to a 5" barrel, First Edition, Realtree (with a few different variations of that one), legacy edition, bead blast, Ported versions and I'm sure plenty others. From a collector standpoint when it comes to Anacondas, less common is "better".
+1

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Truth be told , in 1985 The Boa was the “ real “ poor mans python..... even if not in price .

i think Colts have nice 21st century DA’s .

As far as the original snakes , I have always felt I will buy another snake instead of a Viper .
if I had crazy money and The Boa , I would obviously complete THE 7 !

I stated once here - if chasing the deadly 7 , get the Boa before the Viper .
Reason being the Boa is a pipe dream for probably 90 % of us .

Here with my new KC are a few I got instead of said Viper.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Looked at collecting all the Snakes, but realized I don't even care for Boa, Viper, Anaconda.

Close to finishing collecting the Python in every finish and every barrel length, but realized don't care for matte stainless at all(although will probably go for 2.5" matte w/ivories at some point;, that combination would be worthwhile.....)

Instead I eventually went with what I really like (snubbies:cool: mostly ) ,those stay, the others get traded for more 'valued' {not necessarily 'valuable' } examples.
Would rather have a NIB 2.5" nickel Diamondback ,+ boxed nickel 2.5" Python, + a Combat Cobra for example- or three examples of LNIB 2.5" blued Pythons---- than one BOA ...

That personal bias aside, if WAS going to collect an Anaconda- would be NIB First Edition, factory BSTS.

Bottom line, get what YOU like, IMHO...

·
Registered
812 Posts
When I accomplished having all but the boa I began saving for it. Every time I get some money saved I buy something else and start from nothing again. Now I have a bunch of revolvers that cost 1/4 of the boa and some aren't snake guns. I have duplicates of some. And I wouldn't be able to answer if somebody asked me why.

I had my chance to buy one here in st. Louis at the colt convention but I didn't make it back in time before it closed the next day. I think about that a lot.

I think the biggest reason I dont have one is that I also have a race car that requires a trash can of money to maintain it.
Cars cost more than guns.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't care for the Boa? It looks like a Dan Wesson with a S&W M28 finish. It seems to be another Lou Horton contrived collectable. Price notwithstanding it can't hold a candle to a Python. For that kind of money I'd be looking for a 1955-56 Python.
Hey man for that kind of money or less you can get a MINT 1940 CSR, Big Bore Shooting Master, Super Match etc. etc. etc.! I know where my money would go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey man for that kind of money or less you can get a MINT 1940 CSR, Big Bore Shooting Master, Super Match etc. etc. etc.! I know where my money would go.
That's a great point. Shooting Master All Day Long!! Definitely would get one of I had a spare $15,000 laying around. A super match Colt 1911, absolutely! Great recommendations Lumberjack

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
The OP didn't say why he wanted to "get all the Colt Snake guns." Just asks which configurations. I don't know anything about them other than they are cult items, but I'd want to know are you collecting for, A) most potential as investment? B) most useful for hunting or defense? C) most reasonably priced? etc...etc...

It's kind of like my Navy shipmates at a reunion last month. Several were wearing high dollar Omega or Rolex watches. They encouraged me to join the club. I thought about it a while, and decided to get into things MY way. Perpetual movements yes, but AMERICAN makes, and SLEEPERs. I can buy 20 or more automatic watches from the 50s-60s for the price of one modern Rolex. I'd prefer a collection, not one for bragging rights. But that's MY priority. Others may want to brandish The Most Expensive Late Model DA Colt Ever.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Personally I would like to add a Boa to my collection, but I'm not willing to pay the prices they want.
I Have lucked into a number of the other snakes...some of them at really good prices.
Anacondas

Cobras

Vipers

Pythons

and the prize of my collection

1 - 20 of 40 Posts