Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a first generation colt SSA with matching serial numbers in 2 locations --- on the frame in front of the cylinder and a matching serial number on the cylinder. I did send the serial number information to the Colt Collectors association who confirmed date of shipment and location to which shipped and that it was shipped with standard black grips. The gun has "old ivory" grips now, is it possible that gun would have been sent back to colt custom shop for the ivory grips and they would have put the serial number on the cylinder?

·
Registered
330 Posts
SAA not SSA . Move this to the Single Action area and you will get more response . Not likely a first generation gun went back to the Colt Custom Shop for Ivory grips especially if the grips are old as the "Colt Custom Shop" has not been around that long . I think they came with part of the SN stamped on the rear of the cylinder .

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Indeed...

Also, any 'good' SAA 'smith could have fitted different grips at any time during the life of the piece, and once the popularity of C&WAS came to be, thousands of SAAs had 'something' done to them grips being the easiest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts