Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard for me to imagine that Colt has been so woefully behind the times in modernizing their revolver production. Almost all other industries that you can think of from autos, electronics and even clothing have adapted to new technologies and methods of production, but not Colt. I hope that Colt's foray into producing the Cobra will lead the way in producing some of the other revolvers in their stables. If Colt could revive another revolver in their line up in the next 3 years that would certainly be a a big step in their sustainability. If not I would hope as a last resort that another firearms company would at least purchase the rights to manufacture one of Colt's revolvers or perhaps better yet purchase the entire revolver line up from Colt.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Colt's priority is staying in business right now. It's an overall down market since last year's election which has hit pretty much all gun makers...and Colt suffers from some crushing debt that has to be serviced before entering into any new lines...plus ...in my view...some pretty short-sided management decisions. I'm not in the corporate board room so maybe there's things being done we don't know about...good or bad. Still...as much as I'd like to see new revolver lines happen...I can't see it in the near term.

If all Colt does is license their name out for other manufacturers to sell Colt guns...it doesn't much help in the long run. Look at the Colt/Sauer rifles...outstanding rifles in every respect...Coltsman rifles prior to that...again...fine rifles...the Colt Light Rifle...Colt's Archery Division...and other examples of Colt licensing or outsourcing products. None are in production today. There's a lesson there.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I heard that S&W was experiencing dropping stock prices recently, and it was speculated that the current economy has sales down and inventory up, which is why some factory promotions are appearing on certain models. It's expected to continue.

If that's the case for leading firearm manufacturers, I am sure nothing good is happening at Colt. The one gun that has demand up the wall, SAA, and they can't even cater. Who knows what the future holds.

Personally, all the Colts that I love and enjoy were made back in the day by Colt's Patented Firearms Manufacturing Company. Not the current Colt's Manufacturing Company birthed around 1990 and the financial problems that followed which eventually saw to the end of revolver production. I don't have much interest in modern companies anymore.

Reactions: 73shovel

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,685 Posts
Colt did upgrade their manufacturing technology a few years ago when they bought CNC machining stations.
Most of the old manufacturing machines are long gone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For some reason people seem to buy AR-15s and Glocks because they feel they need them. Since the election the pressure is off and the need seemed to have subsided. Now revolvers, especially Colt revolvers they get bought because of want. If Colt revives a few more of their revolvers from the past , people will want them, people will buy them. I think rpalmer is on the right track with his thinking. I think the plastic fantastic and AR market is saturated, I say bring on the quality Colts, I'll buy one, I think they'll do well going in that direction.

·
Registered
747 Posts
....adapted to new technologies and methods of production...
All the caterwauling in the interwebs about castings, MIM parts, the lack of forgings and hand-fitted precision craftsmanship is imaginary? Lots of complaints about the guys who have turned to modern methods.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
I doubt if Colt's attorneys would allow that...too much liability. The antis are already trying to sue the industry out of business for guns the factories assemble for resale. I'd hate to think how long the line would be at the courthouses of attorneys wanting to file suits for guns malfunctioning that the public purchased and misassembled. The legal argument would go "the manufacturer should have known" accidents would occur. That's why parts vendors often give the disclaimer the part should be installed and fitted by a trained gunsmith.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts