Colt Forum banner

Colt stepchild

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  MarkInTx 
#1 ·
This model does not get much respect, but I kinda like 'em
This one is from 1893

See less See more
#24 ·
I am quite impressed by the condition, but even more so by the custom-level metal work, both in fitting and polishing. Look at that hammer fit into the frame! Would cost 3K+ for that today.

#25 ·
I noticed exactly the same thing. A perfect fit, and all done by skilled hands.
The big screw is a LEFT handed screw and most don't know that and they Bugger up the screw heads. It loosens the disc and it locks in with a cut and tab when loose. Access to the inside of the gun. Very Strong and robust gun compared to the more fragile Colt 1877's in .32 Colt (Rainmaker)...38 long Colt (Lightning)....41 Colt (Thunderer). They are sometimes called the Philippine models with the bigger trigger guard and longer trigger. Some mistakenly call them the Alaskan models to be shot with gloved hands, but not so. Hope this helps you. Big Jake # 1001 SASS Life.
Jack, I gather that .38 is called the Philippine model because of the pistol's poor showing against a determined enemy during the insurrection. I recall they had to reissue the SAA in .45 Long Colt to gain enough stopping power.
Apparently the sturdier model was the next one down the pike.

#26 ·
Paulem, Big JAKE here, I believe the .38 cal Long Colt you talk about is from the U,S. Army 1892, 1899 model that was the current sidearm using the 130 grain bullet @ 800 fps and wouldn't Stop the Finaticial Moros in the Philippines. They wanted a .45 cal and called up the old SAA. The 1878 wasn't that gun and was chambered in ,45 Colt, .44-40 WCF and .38-40 WCF and not the smaller cartridge.

#29 ·
Here is an engraved Colt M1878 with Pearls. Shipped 1882. "W. Sutten" engraved on backstrap.

Attachments

#30 ·
Handsome piece, with those nice pearl grips. Always interesting to see the different grip configurations over the years. Some good, although the original SAA is hard to beat. Never tried the Keith number five, but it's looks good. The Bisley I never found comfortable in the hand, and was somewhat mystified that it was touted as a target model, or at least named for the famous Matches. The Ruger version of the Bisley grip is better I think. Still, I'll take the 1873 version, that one fits me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.