Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Beautiful. I never get why something like that made with that level of hand assembled, fitted, and finished gets overlooked not to mention being a survivor of 127 years. Those that collect trout lure late model polished up guns would look at that and say why would I want that ugly old thing? Well I overrule and say stunning!

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
A really interesting design, it does have a certain appeal. I've read, however, that the double action was rather fragile, and that worked against it. Is this the one that Billy the Kid was supposed to have carried? Or is that just in the movies.
This a slightly later model 1878 New Frontier DA Colt that replaced the fragile first series of 1877. These were produced through 1907. I have had one for about 40 years. It's a 44-40 and is my favorite "using" pistol.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A really interesting design, it does have a certain appeal. I've read, however, that the double action was rather fragile, and that worked against it. Is this the one that Billy the Kid was supposed to have carried? Or is that just in the movies.
I have had 5 or 6 of these and though the action is kind of sloppy when not in battery, I have had no issues.
The 1877's are a different story

1 - 20 of 27 Posts