Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been watching this auction? I'm not much into semi's but I wish I had the cash for this one. All I can do is watch. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
i haven't seen it, but I'm sure its getting out of hand about right now......

[/ QUOTE ]

3 days to go and it's at $6560.00 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
How is approaching market value "getting out of hand?"

A "common" Pre-War .45 National Match in the same condition will sell in the current range. The Super Match is much more rare than the .45, so should bring a lot more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How is approaching market value "getting out of hand?"

A "common" Pre-War .45 National Match in the same condition will sell in the current range. The Super Match is much more rare than the .45, so should bring a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know the listing price at the time I posted that; didn't know the "book value" is/was; and just can't fathom spending that kinda money on a pistol.

It has nothing for or against that pistol, I feel that way about any pistol......with that said, I am shocked, at times, at what some of these are worth or bidded at.

Please remember, I am not a collector and have no ref. to the value of most of these weapons. I do however have a firm grip of how much money that is and what and how many other shooters I can buy with that same amount of money.

So when I see one pistol, with 3 days left, saleing for that kinda money, I can only sit in amazement and think how many nice guns I could have bought for what that one will go for....

Lee

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This gun is truely a collector gem.

I asked the wife if I could sell her Corvette to buy this gun. She said no. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
ROFL!

Yeah, I can imagine that was her response.

Listen, I can tell some folks are a little taken back by "non-collectors" and our not understanding of values and "the way of the collector". Give folks like me a little time and I'll have a greater appriciation. (maybe like drinking wine or sipping a single malt scotch).

Till then, us unsophisticated folk still have a hard time understanding that kinda money for a pistol that won't run like a Springfield TRP or Colt Mark IV - Enhanced; but I can at least see its why many people still only drink beer.....

I do see one of those fine pieces in your hands one day brother........best of luck!

Lee

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
If RgrLee is not a collector or familiar with the market for collector pistols, then why comment on an auction price for a collector pistol? What would RgrLee say about the price a mint (probably no such thing) pinch-frame Single Action would bring? Or a Walker?

I am not sure I would agree that one of these National Match Colt pistols from the Pre-War era would not "run like a Springfield TRP...." They were basically hand-built to be as accurate as possible, and ruled the firing line (the .45 version) until well after WWII.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The comment came before the price was disclosed......if the dollars for the pistol were not shocking, rather low or at market value, I figure our friend Addicted would not go out of his way to tell us.

When he did tell us what it was going for it shocked me.....similar to how I am shocked when I see Barrett Jackson auction prices for a Hemi Cuda (for example).

I already said I wasn't a collector, however I would assume with modern machinary technology, better materials and R&D focus on metalogy, and the learned process of making the same design for years, that a fine modern weapon like the Springer TRP (or any one of 10 others) would beat a 70 year old weapon in every catagory.

As I become more aware of the collector's market, its custom's, and tabu's I won't think its so amazing.

I hope who ever ends up with it is happy with their purchase.

Lee

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
What would RgrLee say about the price a mint (probably no such thing) pinch-frame Single Action would bring? Or a Walker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say what ever that is, it too would be out of hand.

How would I come to that conclusion? The same as I came to the prior conclusion; you wouldn't mention it unless there was some shock value there.

Lee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts