1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the link to the sad news via Fox
https://www.foxnews.com/us/colt-suspending-production-of-ar-15-for-civilians

This doesn't surprise me very much.
It is my observation that the company never appreciated civilian sales as much as they should have. They have always been more interested in military contracts.

The company cites a glut market of AR15s as the reason, and they don't state it's going to be permanent. I don't buy it.

Way to go, Colt.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Well, I think the glut on the market maybe an accurate statement. You can't go to a gun show anymore within 137 different manufacturers hawking their mom and pop AR15 wares, at a lot less $$ than Colts. Though I certainly couldn't say if a "glut" is the real reason they've discontinued. I wonder if my 3 Colts will rise a bit in value now? Hate to have it happen this way.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
There is another thread in the Colt long gun area.

Myself I just can't figure out what Colt is doing, but I keep reading the threads to get some info on their business plan.

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Colt may be bowing to political pressure ! Our new Democratic hopefuls have already stated that they intend to "get" all our AR-15s & AK47s. Colt may be hiding behind the "glut" to gain political neutrality. Terrible what a divided nation politics are creating now-a-days !

**** “We have witnessed a shift in thinking about government from one that serves at the pleasure of citizens and to do their bidding, to one that considers its role to manage the populace.” ****

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The timing of this announcement coinciding with indications that congress may consider new firearms related laws makes me doubt the commercial reasons Colt stated in their press release.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's a commercial issue then surely other AR-15 manufacturers will follow suit.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
If it is a commercial issue then at least some clone makers will try and tough it out to be last man standing. Those makers who are on shaky financial ground already may stay a bit longer but if industry sales are down that far they'll be gone anyway. After the 2016 election some of the clone makers trying to cash in went under with the post-election sales slump.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it turns out to be a political move, I will probably be done with anything new from them. If it really is a financial move, then they need to retool for DA revolvers ASAP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it turns out to be a political move, I will probably be done with anything new from them. If it really is a financial move, then they need to retool for DA revolvers ASAP.
I just bought a "New"Colt King Cobra and from my range time with that inferior revolver ; Colt would be well advised to "rest on their laurels" their older guns were GREAT , but , their newer offerings are by far not even comparable with their older models !
( Could this be another reason for their "GLUT" ?)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was just watching Jeopardy and they always do a teaser for news stories at the end. The guy showed a local shop's selection of AR 15s on the sales rack while saying, "Big move- A Connecticut Gun Maker- Colt- is taking on AR15 rifles." Sounds like these "journalists" are trying pretty hard to make it sound political. Not that anything they say anymore is trustworthy...

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
I'm willing to give Colt the benefit of the doubt. We do know the market is drenched in black rifles...prices are down from every manufacturer...a Maryland dealer is selling Ruger AR-556 carbines for $499 and an online seller has them for $469. If Colt has a 110-115 day inventory or rifles there's absolutely reason to keep cranking them out and letting the inventory build up higher. If a car company had that many cars sitting unsold at the factory they would make a big cutback in production as well and maybe even lay workers off.

With foreign sales the name Colt stands tall...there's no reason to for Colt not to go after such sales. I'd love for Colt to be less government/export dependent but it is a market they can and should service. They have done so for decades and have the system for exporting well established. To my way of thinking, Colt's allowing law enforcement and commercial sales to languish in preference to government sales began decades ago...at least the 1960s if not earlier...and by previous owners and management. The company today is paying the price for the short-sighted decisions made then.

At least we're not hearing rumors of Colt about to go though bankruptcy again...at least not yet.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If it was a business decision and Colt intended on restarting manufacture once inventories was sold down, why put out a press release?

Joe

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
If it was a business decision and Colt intended on restarting manufacture once inventories was sold down, why put out a press release?

Joe
I don't get that either. They could have just stayed quiet on it and let the backlog of inventory run down. It made no sense to me but we know Colt doesn't alway make logical decisions.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They put out a press release PRECISELY because they wish to curry favor with the media & the perceived powers soon-to-be. I’ll buy nothing new from them; just look where they’re located. I “buycott” only in Southern states these days.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Northern states make some of the best guns, Colt, Smith and Wesson, Dan Wesson, Kimber and a few more.

Agree that Colt should sell more overseas.

But lets get real how many AR's do you want? Had enough of them when I was in the Army and on the job. Could care less for rifles, like the classic 1911 and its Colt that takes up most of my inventory.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.