Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 22LR New Frontier at the LGS .. its the 1980's model with the transfer bar. Thanks to the Forum I know what I'm taking to the checkout line now ..most of the time..without getting it home to find out issues.
The gun is mint, couple of minor dings and that's being picky too.. but according to GBroker these days its a 99.9% gun !! ;)
the cylinder does not have a turn ring.. cylinder looks unfired. No blueing loss at end of barrel and case colors are not faded.
has paperwork.. has a box,
and here's the um.. well, the catch:
the label on the box looks to be a fake to me, but for the price and condition of the gun, I "pulled the trigger anway"
The model number on the label and the gun inside the box have not shook hands and met. The serial numbers match though! label says it's a G2271 but barrel length is 4.5" . The styrofoam doesn't look like a 7" barrel gun (New Fontier Buntline length) would fit. The label has nice rounded corners but color might indicate a repro. I wanted to get a few expert opinions on the label to see if a mistake was made with the model # labeling at the factory (not likely probably), The label is a fake (most likely), or the barrel was changed on the gun (probably not either). Another thing, did Colt list barrel lengths on labels as 4.5" ?? I thought by this date that all short barrel length's were usually described as 4.4 "

Banned
Wellllll...G series New Frontier according to Wilkerson barrel lengths: 4 3/4", 4.4" (also advertised as 4 3/8"), 6" and 7 1/2" AND "Most G Series single caliber revolvers were shipped in cartons without labels" (P. 170)

Sweet looking revolver Mr. What :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Nice Colt revolver if you plan to shoot it i hope that it is as accurate as it looks.
thanks MG. I have a couple of NF shooters and they are extremely accurate. I wanted to add to that on my questioning of the label, with very close inspection, I believe I can tell where another label was.. right underneath the serial # area it looks like there was a label that was straight on the end flap at one time.. since this was runs slightly uphill. That may be normal with a label not being on straight, I haven't seen enough to know for sure.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
OK fellas. I hate to confess this. I was wiping the gun down after the photos and just noticed something that is so obvious I didn't even think to look for it or notice it. There is NO WRITING ON THE BARREL !!! It's also a magnum barrel. I was so caught up in how good it looks that I didn't notice it. No caliber marking on the left side.. nothing on the top. They didn't make any magnums with the safety bar according to Wilkerson's Book.
Should I take it back today?

Banned
OK fellas. I hate to confess this. I was wiping the gun down after the photos and just noticed something that is so obvious I didn't even think to look for it or notice it. There is NO WRITING ON THE BARREL !!! It's also a magnum barrel. I was so caught up in how good it looks that I didn't notice it. No caliber marking on the left side.. nothing on the top. They didn't make any magnums with the safety bar according to Wilkerson's Book.
Should I take it back today?
Nuttin, nada, zip, zilch? I'd say unless ya got it for $150 and want a shooter this probably needs to return from whence it came. Fake label and rebarreled aren't worth anything but to throw lead downrange. IMHO

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
I'm on my way back with it as soon as I can get this EGG off my face enough to see to drive! .. the brighter side. I noticed it quickly because I didn't have pictures of that side of the gun posted for anyone else to notice it for me.. and it is not a gunbroker deal where I'm stuck. The LGS is very honest and will have no issue taking it back. I paid $550 and would have been a bargain if it had Colt parts. oh well. You got to get bucked off a horse to say you ride in a rodeo.

Banned
Anyone who says they never made a mistake or overlooked something in the heat of emotion taint tellin ya the truth. No harm no foul.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
...And that quickly the gun has been returned and Harry issued a cash refund. He didn't know. The gun he took in just two days ago. I wish it was a factory oversight but just too much wrong. On The label the barrel length and model # don't match up and magnum barrel with no stampings on a 22LR only gun. Also looked to my like the hand with the cylinder out was not factory. So somebody has pieced together a masterpiece for a non collector

Premium Member
Mine is a '75 vintage, #G105519 with the 4.4" barrel. Check out the difference in front sites.

001.jpg

It should have the Colt's info on the top of the barrel and New Frontier .22 on the left side.

Registered
it looks to me that the box once said 7 1/2 and someone wrote a 4 over the 7. the 4 looks out of place plain as day to my eye.

Registered
The first thing I noticed was the front sight. I've never seen a New Frontier .22 that had a front sight of the style that was on the one you bought. The only types I am aware of are the standard ramp style as in Colt-SL's photo, which were used in most of these guns, and the very huge, tall, ungainly and basically crazy looking great white shark dorsal fin of a fixed blade type front sight as used on a John Wayne commemorative gun and a few others that used up barrels left over from the "Duke" gun parts production.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with Charlene. Buckspen has also told me that there were some New Frontiers that got the John Wayne leftover barrels. This same dealer has one that has been sitting in the shop for years. It's got the big dorsal fin front sight like mentioned. He's had it for $999 for a long time. woodgrain and styrofoam box. I want to say Buck said they came with a display case too. The gunshop has 3 John wayne New Frontiers.. all in different boxes. ;)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
I guess this will be a final update on the Colt that followed me home.. and I lead it right back to the stable from which it came:D.. although when someone posts a "want to see a fake label or replaced parts" message, this is a thread to look at.

The local dealer has it right back in the case for sale for the same amount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts