Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 4" Colt "Three Fifty Seven "
Revolver Ser.# 441. anyone have an Idea when it was made. According to my Colt book it must of been a first run of this model, but it also states the Trooper and other models ran with the same numbers. Any have a line on target grips, real or repoductions?

Thank you. Bruser

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
With a number that low it sounds like a first year production, meaning 1954. The serial numbers ran with the Trooper because the Trooper evolved from the 357.
Stocks can sometimes be found on the auction sites, but be prepared for the originals to be pricey.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Your 357 was made in 1954.
Can't help you with the "stocks", that's what they prefer to call them on this forum.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR .357 HANDY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome, Bruser! Congratulations. There's several of us on these pages have Colt .357's. They're like the Python's daddy! If you want to research some old topics, there were some really nice threads regarding history of this piece and some war stories about them. But, remember, you heard it here first - the then-new Colt .357 was carried to daily duties in the funny papers by none other than Dick Tracy, Man, how lucky can you get. I'm sure you'll enjoy your gun. They do have a look and feel to them - more than one would think. No?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Not only is your 357 a 1954, it's a FIRST MONTH production gun, probably made in the first few weeks of production.

As such, it has collector interest over and above the usual.

Assuming your gun left the factory with the target hammer and stocks, (almost certain considering the early production) it should have a pair of the fully checkered Colt grips with silver medallions.

Unfortunately, these are hard to find, and expensive.
Watch the listings in Ebay, and check the posting just down the list in this forum to see a picture of the correct grips.

Due to the value, I'd suggest biting the bullet and finding a pair of original correct grips to restore your gun to original condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:Thanks for the reply, I also have a Offical Police #747215 with brown plastic stocks, like on the "Commando" the bottom of the grip frame has B.P.D. 46 incribed on it. I was told this belonged to a Border Patrolman, Can you shed any light on the grip frame numbers. Thank you Bruser

Your 357 was made in 1954.
Can't help you with the "stocks", that's what they prefer to call them on this forum.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:It's nice to be a part of the the few and the proud to be owner of the Colt 357, I would like to to some of that research and yes I have been a Dick Tracy fan but I did not know he use one one in the fiftys. Yes the revolver is fantastic even better than the Python I once owned. Hope t keep in touch, Thank you Bruser
Welcome, Bruser! Congratulations. There's several of us on these pages have Colt .357's. They're like the Python's daddy! If you want to research some old topics, there were some really nice threads regarding history of this piece and some war stories about them. But, remember, you heard it here first - the then-new Colt .357 was carried to daily duties in the funny papers by none other than Dick Tracy, Man, how lucky can you get. I'm sure you'll enjoy your gun. They do have a look and feel to them - more than one would think. No?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Bruser
You sure have a cache of fine old revolvers!
Your Official Police was made in 1948, but I don't think Border Patrol pieces were marked as such. May have been something like Bolder (Colo) Police Dept. or something.
The stocks you describe as brown plastic are called "Coltwood". Hope this is some help.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR .357 HANDY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bruser,
Congratulations on a great gun! I also have a .357 Colt, 4", serial number 63XX, which is also first year production, 1954. I feel your pain about the stocks, which I inquired about on a separate thread (see "grips for .357 magnum model" above)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts