Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys! Can ya'll come out and play for awhile? Nobody threw rocks at me for my John Wayne questions, so I thought I'd try some, "hard core." Here goes: 1. Robert Taylor starred in a TV cop series called, "The ________." In it, he carried a Colt __________. 2. Steve McQueen plays a San Francisco detective in, _______. In it, he carries a Colt __________. 3. Robert Stack played Elliot Ness on TV. What did he carry? ________________. And in a what type of holster? ___________________ 4. And the coup de gras, a 1955 TV series called, "Ramar of the Jungle," portrayed a doctor and a scientist in Africa and India. Both men carried revolvers and rifles. The doctor carried an S&W. (God forgive him.) But the good doctor carried a Colt _______. I didn't work that hard to come up with my questions for Friday's history test at school! See what ya' can do ... if not, skip it. It's just for fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll give it a try but there are some I can only guess at as I was only 9 or 10 when some were on TV. 1) The Detectives....Detective Spcl?, 2) Bullitt....Colt Diamondback 2.5",3) Colt Official Police 4" (no idea what kind of shoulder holster), and 4) I guess a Colt New Service but I do remember one carried a Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine. How'd I do?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Good job, there, Cobra! I'll give the answers after a few more guys try their luck. (IOf course, I have no proof that I'm right!) You did very well and you win a cookie and a hearty hand shake.QUOTE]Originally posted by ColtCobra:
I'll give it a try but there are some I can only guess at as I was only 9 or 10 when some were on TV. 1) The Detectives....Detective Spcl?, 2) Bullitt....Colt Diamondback 2.5",3) Colt Official Police 4" (no idea what kind of shoulder holster), and 4) I guess a Colt New Service but I do remember one carried a Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine. How'd I do?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess the trivia's run its course - thanks for replying, Cobra. "The Detectives,", Robert Taylor. (10 pts.) Detective Special? Yes, again. (10 pts.)Bullitt, yes; 10 pts. McQueen's gun gets some argument ... there is a website about movie guns and they're not 100% sure, either. But I'll take either Diamondback or Python, 2 1/2". (10 pts.) Personally, I think it's the Python with a Berns-Martin shoulder holster. Elliott Ness you got. (10 pts.) Type of holster? Don't know either - I was just after shoulder holster, but I'd guess Lawrence, if I had to. New service is right on Ramar! (10 pts.) PLUS 20 pts. for the extra about the rifle! OUTSTANDING, Cobra! 80 points and the BEST entry! HOORAY! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
I'll give it a try but there are some I can only guess at as I was only 9 or 10 when some were on TV. 1) The Detectives....Detective Spcl?, 2) Bullitt....Colt Diamondback 2.5",3) Colt Official Police 4" (no idea what kind of shoulder holster), and 4) I guess a Colt New Service but I do remember one carried a Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine. How'd I do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
178 Posts
rcwambold,
Nothing like winning a one entrant race. As an interesting footnote, in the movie "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner, he grabs a guard's gun and chases Frank Nitti up on the roof. Ironically, it was a Colt Official Police like the one Ness carried in the TV series. Neat touch! In the
older movies the OP was very prevalent along with the DS. How many times did Humphrey Bogart or James Cagney use those? Now it seems to be all Glocks or Berettas. Even James Bond has shucked his PPK. Times change and so do the movie guns. CC

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, SOMEONE else noticed the OP in the Nitti chase scene! (I'm reasonably sure it was too new a manufacture, though ... the hammer's too new, the bluing's not dark enough.) I carried several of these for years and the old timer was my dad's - it would be about the right vintage for the Ness scene. They had more crosshatching on the hammer spur, even on the cylinder release! If I ever run across a nickel 45 like Nitti's, I'd take out a loan to buy it!Thanks, again, Cobra. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
rcwambold,
Nothing like winning a one entrant race. As an interesting footnote, in the movie "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner, he grabs a guard's gun and chases Frank Nitti up on the roof. Ironically, it was a Colt Official Police like the one Ness carried in the TV series. Neat touch! In the
older movies the OP was very prevalent along with the DS. How many times did Humphrey Bogart or James Cagney use those? Now it seems to be all Glocks or Berettas. Even James Bond has shucked his PPK. Times change and so do the movie guns. CC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll go rewatch The Untouchables to see if I can spot the Colt you guys are talking about. This seems like a pretty good forum. Is there much traffic here?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, Mr. Mac! Not as much traffic as I'd like. I guess talk is cheap, and I can TALK about guns here pretty, "freely!" As to the Official Police revolver, I'm positive if guys could watch one shot out of a machine rest, they wouldn't buy anything else! It's like a beautiful woman in a cloth coat - no mink, but once you get underneath - who cares!? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McAfee:
I'll go rewatch The Untouchables to see if I can spot the Colt you guys are talking about. This seems like a pretty good forum. Is there much traffic here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Why are you guys are missing one of the most
famous guns of all, the 1921 Thompson, they were all made by COLT.
IP

Now tell me how many were made and how many different Models.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Welcome, Mr. Mac! Not as much traffic as I'd like. I guess talk is cheap, and I can TALK about guns here pretty, "freely!" As to the Official Police revolver, I'm positive if guys could watch one shot out of a machine rest, they wouldn't buy anything else! It's like a beautiful woman in a cloth coat - no mink, but once you get underneath - who cares!? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 10-10-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Ira, I'll string along in the spirit of things, but I'm afraid I'll just be a punching bag for you here ... I knew the Tommy guns were made by Colt - whom else? From what I've read, I don't guess many were made. Either that or, "Many were made but few were chozen." I don't think they sold well, did they? I think they made them in different barrel lengths, with or w/out the Cutts compensator, with or w/out the wooden stock, stick or drum magazine. Accessories would have included the assorted magazines and cases - the big, heavy FBI case! Perhaps different calibers? I would guess .45, of course, 9mm and .22? How's that for blowing a test?! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ira Paine:
Why are you guys are missing one of the most
famous guns of all, the 1921 Thompson, they were all made by COLT.
IP

Now tell me how many were made and how many different Models.
IP

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 10-10-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
From memory:

Colt produced enough parts to assemble 15,000 Thompson guns. That's all there were until early WWII.

In reality, from 1921 until the war, the Thompson gun was actually a fairly rare gun. Auto Ordnance didn't sell many guns in those days, and most of the parts had not been used by the time the war started.

Thompson produced a number of prototypes, in different calibers and configurations, but there were three basic pre-war Colt-made Thompson guns:
The original 1921.
The 1928 Navy model.
The 1927 Semi-automatic.
All of these were available with or without the Cutts compensator.

Ok, here's one for you:
What actor who starred with John Wayne a number of times did a TV cop show, and what gun did he carry??

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 10-10-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooh, ooh ... I'm having a THOUGHT! Good to hear from you, Dr. Wheel! A JW co-star, TV cop show ... Well, James Arness was a friend of Wayne's and something of a student of his. His show, of course, was, "Gunsmoke." (EVERYBODY in KANSAS knows THAT!) He used a 7 1/2" Great Western, I do believe? IF that's the guy we're after. Then there's Ben Johnson - "Mr. Pepper," in Chisholm. He did the movie, "Dillinger," and carried a nickel-plated Gov't but I don't know if it was .38 super or .45. I'm told that the real Melvin Purvis he portrays used a Super. (?)
Then there's Rock Hudson, opposite Wayne in that ex-Confederate movie - "The Unconquered," (?) or something to that effect. He did, "MacMillan and Wife," but I can't remember his using a gun. (If he had, I'd GUESS a Chief's S&W for chique value.) Am I even warm? Ward Bond did, "Wagon Train," but no cop show I know of ... uh,oh! EUREKA! That's the ULTIMATE gun trivia question!?! You sly dog, you ... Ward Bond in, "It's a Wonderful Life." He plays the city cop that Jimmy Stewart socks in the puss and he shoots at Clarence the angel! He uses a 6" Official Police - no?! (Aw, crap, ... that's a MOVIE, not TV.) OK. Uncle. I give - TELL ME! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
From memory:

Colt produced enough parts to assemble 15,000 Thompson guns. That's all there were until early WWII.

In reality, from 1921 until the war, the Thompson gun was actually a fairly rare gun. Auto Ordnance didn't sell many guns in those days, and most of the parts had not been used by the time the war started.

Thompson produced a number of prototypes, in different calibers and configurations, but there were three basic pre-war Colt-made Thompson guns:
The original 1921.
The 1928 Navy model.
The 1927 Semi-automatic.

Ok, here's one for you:
What actor who starred with John Wayne a number of times did a TV cop show, and what gun did he carry??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
153 Posts
dfariswheel,
If you took that from memory you sure know your Colts, but don't forget that the 1928 Navy and the 1927 Semi are nothing more than sub-models of the 1921, all of them were made from 1921's that were already mfg. and then modified into the other models.

Now if you get this one from memory you da man for sure, Colt did not make the wood for the TSMG, who did ?
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
From memory:

The original 1921.
The 1928 Navy model.
The 1927 Semi-automatic.

Ok, here's one for you:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
72 Posts
George Kennedy was in a couple JW movies (Sons of Kadie Elder, Cahil) and he was a cop in a TV series "Blue Knight".

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
In the imortal words of Frank Barone..... Wholly Crap !!!

Who found this ancient mess ???

2003, it's even in the old forum format. Wow !!!

Talk about skeletons in da closet.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
And the actor who starred with John Wayne a number of times and did a TV cop show was....... Lee Marvin, who starred in a TV show called "M Squad". He carried Colt Detective Specials. Two as I recall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want some good Thompson action go see that new movie Public enemy. I wasn't overwhelmed by the movie but the gunfights and the associated sound was pretty amazing! A couple of times they showed closeups of Thompsons in full auto and the associated sound was shaking the theatre.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a movie still from one of the Ramar of the Jungle movies. A frugal producer strung together three episodes with crossover narration to tie them all together. I can't remember the name of the movie, but it was while Ramar was in India. Both Dr. Reynolds (Jon Hall) and Professor Ogden (Ray Montgomery) have their revolvers drawn and both are carrying big-bore Colt New Services.

·
Registered
142 Posts
James Arness was John Wayne's cousin.

Ooh, ooh ... I'm having a THOUGHT! Good to hear from you, Dr. Wheel! A JW co-star, TV cop show ... Well, James Arness was a friend of Wayne's and something of a student of his. His show, of course, was, "Gunsmoke." (EVERYBODY in KANSAS knows THAT!) He used a 7 1/2" Great Western, I do believe? IF that's the guy we're after. Then there's Ben Johnson - "Mr. Pepper," in Chisholm. He did the movie, "Dillinger," and carried a nickel-plated Gov't but I don't know if it was .38 super or .45. I'm told that the real Melvin Purvis he portrays used a Super. (?)
Then there's Rock Hudson, opposite Wayne in that ex-Confederate movie - "The Unconquered," (?) or something to that effect. He did, "MacMillan and Wife," but I can't remember his using a gun. (If he had, I'd GUESS a Chief's S&W for chique value.) Am I even warm? Ward Bond did, "Wagon Train," but no cop show I know of ... uh,oh! EUREKA! That's the ULTIMATE gun trivia question!?! You sly dog, you ... Ward Bond in, "It's a Wonderful Life." He plays the city cop that Jimmy Stewart socks in the puss and he shoots at Clarence the angel! He uses a 6" Official Police - no?! (Aw, crap, ... that's a MOVIE, not TV.) OK. Uncle. I give - TELL ME! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
From memory:

The original 1921.
The 1928 Navy model.
The 1927 Semi-automatic.

Ok, here's one for you:

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 10-10-2003).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts