Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this colt this weekend and had to have it for $500. The action is tight. Grips have the last 4 ser.# digits with a white marker. I was concerned about the grips at first. The action is so smooth. I saw probably 10 Pythons at this show and several Anacondas. The Pythons started at $1800 and up. I didn't even ask the price of the ones not marked. What do ya'll think.

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
These point really well with the action of a python and the unnecessary bulk and weight of the MKIII when shooting 38 specials. I like the service stock and just add a pachmayr grip adapter because of my small hands to make it fit just right. Mine is made in 1954 and nickel plated but otherwise is the same as yours. Will generally outshoot the latest LEO weapon if you do your part.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Definately a good deal IMO. I bought a Trooper .38 off of GunBroker and paid $405 plus shipping and transfer and thought I did OK. Mine is nickel and refinished.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I "had" one 30 years ago, gave it to my brother, his first handgun. It had been a police service gun in Ware, MA, sent back to Colt for a refurbish before resale. The shop had a couple and some OP's as well. I think I paid less than $200 for it, the OP's were less. My brother asked me if it was ok if he traded it, wish I'd got it back from him. It was set up just like yours, service stocks and standard hammer. You don't see many in 38, and price of nice ones is $1000 or better, usually. You got a great gun at a great price. Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
When I bid on mine you could not tell if the nickel was OEM or not. The pictures were pretty good, but not real good. Anyway it had Hogue rubber grips, but I found a used set of Herrett's and now I have a nice shooter, which is what I wanted.

Even with the escalating prices on firearms, especially the older ones in good condition, good deals seem to happen anyway.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You got a great deal. I agree that a grip adapter would make the service stocks more comfortable. I prefer a metal Tyler T-grip rather than a plastic Pachmayr adapter, but either will work. Congratulations on your find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.