Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I'm new to the forum and still getting to learn more about it. I figured I would finally set up an account since I enjoy my Colt firearms. Anyway, I have a very nice Colt Trooper in .357 Mag made in 1969. The only problem is that whoever had it before me decided to over tighten the grip screw and it cracked the right grip panel on the inside. Any idea where I could find another set of grips instead of aftermarket ones? My gun doesn't have the big grips like the later troopers. These grips look like the same ones that an Official Police would have. I have had no luck finiding any off parts guns around here. Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

Will

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! I hope you find this a pleasant place to be.

Most likely, your stocks are repairable, and the repair will not be visible from the outside. In the unlikely event that is not true, then you can find a correct set on eBay. I believe there is a set of Post-War service stocks up right now.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Not "right here." The link is to target stocks and the OP needs service stocks.

Target stocks were optional on the E-frame Trooper, but apparently the OP's Trooper had service stocks.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Shooter91, welcome to Coltforum.

Coltforum member, Swamprat can probably fix your stocks so that you cannot tell they are repaired. Why don't you send him a PM and see if he can help you out?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It is a Trooper and not a Trooper MKIII correct? Some just say Trooper even if it's a Trooper MKIII. I have a new set of service stocks for the MKIII with correct silver medallions for 1969.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct. Just a Trooper. Not a MKIII. My barrel just says trooper with the caliber and Colt's address like all colts have.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The Trooper was offered in basic 2 configurations aside from barrel length and caliber. Flat-sided hammers designated the "Service" configuration and the stocks/grips are thinner, full checkered with silver medallions. The wide spur "target" hammer and thicker target stocks were indicative of the target configuration Trooper. Triggers and hammers were grooved throughout production. It's interesting to note target style stocks were sometimes referred to as "tournament type custom Walnut stocks" (ref: TBOCF by R.L. Wilson; sometimes prone to his interpretation but still the best all round reference book for Colts of the past).

The frame designation for the later MK III was a "J" frame and stocks from the earlier Troopers aren't compatible for fit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MtnSpur, You are correct. They are full checkered stocks with silver medallions. It does have the wide hammer spur and grooved trigger. I was able to find another set of grips off the same kind of revolver. They actually look nicer than my original grips. The only thing that I have to do was use my original screw since the new set didn't have it. I will post some pictures soon. It's a nice day today so I think I'm going to take it out to the range when I get home and put a few 158 grain 38 specials through it. It seems to like standard 38's. I haven't shot the revolver since I bought it last year. Thank You for everyone's knowledgeable help. I greatly appreciate it!

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts