Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This is also on The High Road). I just bought a Colt Trooper made in 1958, and had a few questions. The Colt emblem looked a little washed out, so I wanted to know if anyone could tell if it was refinished. Let me know if you want any more pictures. My camera isn't very good, but I suppose I could try. Is the hammer supposed to be blued or case hardened? Mine seems blued, along with the trigger. Also, the front sight is painted reddish orange. I can't imagine Colt did that? Last thing: The Pachmayr grips have Colt logos on them. Does that mean anything? Really anything you guys could tell me about this gun would be appreciated, because I'd like to learn more. I googled this stuff, but couldn't find much. Thank you guys for the help.
This picture was too big to upload regularly, so I had to do it this way:

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
FWIW, I have a 1967 Trooper. The sides of my hammer and trigger are "white"...ie not Blued like yours. Tough to tell from the photo but given your hammer, trigger and "washed out" colt, I'd say it was possibly reblued. Also, despite the colt logos on the stocks, they are not original to the revolver. Colt sold those stocks as aftermarket, much later than your 50's revolver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,542 Posts
A common sign of a refinished Colt revolver is a fully blued hammer.
Colt always polished the blue off the sides of hammers, leaving them "in the white".
Many refinishers just leave the hammer all blue.
Triggers should be all blue.

The washed out looking Colt Pony is another usual sign of a refinish.
The Pony is a complicated stamp and it's hard to get them uniform and of even depth.
Because the stamp is often not as deep as other stamps, it's not unusual for a re-finish to wash out the Pony stamp.

So, best guess is your Colt has been refinished, but it looks like a quality job, without the rounded off edges and ripples in the flats and down the barrel you typically see on bad refinish jobs.

Finding painted front sights is common.
To remove it, you can usually use a little lacquer thinner and a solvent-proof toothbrush to remove the paint.
Lacquer thinner will not harm bluing.

As above, the rubber grips are not "correct" for your Colt. Those were made for Colt by Pachmayr and Colt sold them as aftermarket and used them as original on 1980's stainless steel Colt's.
To determine what grips would be original for your gun, remove the grips and look at the rear side plate screw.
If the head is rounded like the front screw, the original grips were probably the narrow checkered walnut "Service" type grips with Silver Colt medallions.
If the screw head is flat, the gun probably shipped with the now-rare "First Type" fully checkered walnut Colt Target grips with Silver medallions.
Only the Python had Gold medallions in those days.

In any event, thats a very nice Colt and will probably out shoot most newer guns.
Since the same action and frame type was used for the Colt Python, you have what's often called a "poor man's Python".
It will shoot any factory .38 Special or +P load forever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Dfariswheel, you were actually exactly who I was hoping for. It's a shame, because the seller continuously told me "No, it was my gun. I know it wasn't refinished. I've been doing this for so long, I can just tell." I still love the gun though.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
If you love the gun and intend to use it as a shooter the finish makes no difference. it doesn't make it shoot different, doesn't make it balance different, and doesn't make it less smooth or accurate. Stay in love with what you bought, not the idea. Nice pistol and hope it brings you years of smiles.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I bought a nickel Colt Trooper in .38 Special off of GunBroker that looked like it might have been factory nickel. well it turned out that it isn't, but it looks like a decent refinish IMO, much better than average. I wanted a good shooter and now I have one. The revolver had Hogus rubber grips on it, so I bought these used Herrett's on eBay for it.
Trooper.jpg

·
Registered
891 Posts
Both of you have fantastic firearms. What is so great about them is they are a top quality shooter grade firearm in my favorite caliber .357. Shoot them and enjoy. No safe queen remorse there. I too have on in 6" and it is one of my favorite range guns.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Yes.. Yours has been refinished 100% sure. This is what it used to looke like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts