Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a colt trooper .357 I've been lead to belive it was made in 1966, it's nickle plated (95% condition)s/n range 588xx . It has 001 engaved on right side of frame above an in front of trigger. It also has INS stamped on lower left side of grip frame. Does INS stand for Img. Nat. Serv.? And is 001 a issue No# (if so it could another 15 years before INS approves work visa for it just joking) Just wondering what value an histry it has? thanks JTG

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
I have several old model Troopers with the 'INS' stamp. On most of them the mark is rather light. Since some of these guns came from various police and Sheriff's departments, and one is an old model .22 cal, I don't think it stood for the Img. Service. Most departments marked any department mark either on the bottom of the butt, or if it had target grips, on the side of the frame. In any event, they wanted the dept. mark to be visible, so I've never seen one marked underneath the grips.

The '001' mark IS almost certainly a law enforcement department mark. It could be gun #1 for that department, or a gun issued to squad number 1. If you just gotta know, you can get a historical letter from Colt that will tell you when it was made, what features it had, (nickle, blue, target grips, hammer?) and who it was shipped to. I think these letters have gotten rather expensive, so contact Colt for a price.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 03-21-2002).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts