Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info help.

Is there a Trooper Mark lll in 22lr in electrol lux nickel? Is that the same as satin finish? My 357 has a smooth crisp trigger maybe 4lbs. Does the 22lr trooper generally come with such a nice trigger pull, or did I just get lucky with mine or maybe a decent gunsmith did a trigger job on mine? I want a matching nickel pistol to my Trooper. Does the 22lr bring a premium because of nickel or caliber? What say you?

I'm really an early auto collector, but have dabbled in Colt revolvers.

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
Yes...Colt did make the Trooper in electroless nickel. Colt called it Coltguard. I've seen them in a satin finish and a more highly polished finish. I've also seen a matte finish electroless nickel but mostly on the Lawman Mark III which was the low buck .357 version.

Are sure of the trigger pull at 4lbs? Is that the single-action pull (I hope so). The factory sent them out with about a 15-16lb double-action pull. I doubt if a gunsmith did any work on yours as there's little that can be done due to how the gun is made and parts hardened. The only real way to lighten the trigger pull is to replace the mainspring which may have been done to yours.

The Mark III is an excellent heavy duty revolver...short of actual abuse I doubt if you can ever wear it out. It will serve well for several generations of owners.

As far as value...the electroless nickel examples bring some premium against a blued example in equal condition. For .22LR, the 6" barrel version is probably the most common...4" less so which may bring a slight premium. I know the .357 Mark III was made in an 8" barrel version but don't know whether any were .22LR. There's also a .22 Magnum version as well which likely brings a bit more money.

My Coltguard Trooper Mark III revolvers in .22...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes...Colt did make the Trooper in electroless nickel. Colt called it Coltguard. I've seen them in a satin finish and a more highly polished finish. I've also seen a matte finish electroless nickel but mostly on the Lawman Mark III which was the low buck .357 version.

Are sure of the trigger pull at 4lbs? Is that the single-action pull (I hope so). The factory sent them out with about a 15-16lb double-action pull. I doubt if a gunsmith did any work on yours as there's little that can be done due to how the gun is made and parts hardened. The only real way to lighten the trigger pull is to replace the mainspring which may have been done to yours.

The Mark III is an excellent heavy duty revolver...short of actual abuse I doubt if you can ever wear it out. It will serve well for several generations of owners.

As far as value...the electroless nickel examples bring some premium against a blued example in equal condition. For .22LR, the 6" barrel version is probably the most common...4" less so which may bring a slight premium. I know the .357 Mark III was made in an 8" barrel version but don't know whether any were .22LR. There's also a .22 Magnum version as well which likely brings a bit more money.

My Coltguard Trooper Mark III revolvers in .22...
I just picked up one of these. Do I have to worry about using hoppes like on regular nickel guns? Should I use an alternative?
Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice guns. My 6" MK III Trooper .357 was a pretty hefty revolver. What do the .22 versions weigh, considering those little .22 Cal. holes in cylinder and barrel?

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
I just picked up one of these. Do I have to worry about using hoppes like on regular nickel guns? Should I use an alternative?
Thanks
You're good to go with Hoppe's. Electroless nickel is bonded to the metal of the gun...not a plating on the surface. At least that's my understanding of it...a completely different process altogether. I've used Hoppe's for many years on e-nickel guns with no issues at all.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Back when these came out I bought a 4" Trooper MKIII .357mag in EN for my duty gun as a LEO. I also found a 4" .22LR Trooper MKIII in EN. It also came with a .22mag cylinder. The box was marked 8" not 4". It came from a Colt distributor in NYC of all places- John Jovino Co. When I was in NYC one day I stopped in there. They said the 8" barreled .22 Trooper MKIII in EN weren't selling so They had Colt convert them to 4". Like an idiot I sold the gun to a friend years ago and he still has it. When I get some $'s one day I will get it back.

Reactions: SnakeGunner

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I had two of these Colt MKIII, both 6 inch blued, one was a Trooper 357 the other a Trooper 22.
The .22 was overbuilt for the cartridge but was very accurate revolver. It was nice having the pair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
See you are in NC. Hyatts guns in Charlotte had an Trooper III in 22mag electroless nickel 8 inch for $999. No idea if it is still there or if your interested. I like polished nickle or blued myself.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,657 Posts
Factory specs for the Trooper Mark III were....
Single action minimum.....3 pounds, maximum....5 pounds.
Double action maximum....14 pounds.

Due to the surface hardened action parts no polishing is possible because of cutting through the thin case hardened finish, ruining the part.
In any case, since the parts are molded, not machined, the action parts are already as smooth as will do any good.
To improve the trigger pull a lighter mainspring and a lighter trigger return spring can be installed.
Wolff Gun Springs sell spring kits.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You're good to go with Hoppe's. Electroless nickel is bonded to the metal of the gun...not a plating on the surface. At least that's my understanding of it...a completely different process altogether. I've used Hoppe's for many years on e-nickel guns with no issues at all.
Thanks for the help with my question!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts