Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no adjustment for Colt's.

The usual problem for mis-firing Colt's is a main spring someone bent trying for a lighter trigger pull, or one that's just gotten weaker over the years.

You can try bending the spring slightly to increase tension, or replace the spring with a new one.

This isn't a major operation, and if you want to do it, I strongly recommend buying a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Vol. One".

This is available from Brownell's, Midway, and most book sellers for around $30.00.

This is a pistolsmith's book that shows EVERYTHING about disassembly, check out, repairs, and reassembly of the older Colt revolvers.

This should be standard equipment for all Colt owners.

With this book, you will have no problem diagnosing the exact problem, and if necessary repairing or replacing the spring.

One note: The screw on S&W revolvers IS NOT an adjustment screw, it's a tension screw.
This screw MUST be tightened down TIGHT, and kept tight.

It is not intended to be an adjustment screw and should NEVER be used as such.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 11-16-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You've probably never "adjusted" a v shaped mainspring before,and it can be tricky,especially "widening it" to increase the tension.as it may snap. I would check to see of the firing pin is going all the way forward each time. This is frame mounted,and I've seen "crud" get in there slowing doen the action,spring etc. A shot of cleaner in the hole on the recoli shield where it protrudes,could loosen it. Removing the firing pin assembly from the frame can also be "tricky". Good Luck,Bud

·
Registered
153 Posts
This weekend I went out and shot that early model Trooper that I picked up. Excellent accuracy out of everything I shot out of it.

One problem though, lots of misfires. I know S&W revolvers have a screw to adjust the tension of the mainspring, is there anything on this Colt to allow me to set the tension?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts