Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello the forum

Since everyone has been very kind in providing me help and advice with my newbie questions, I decided to test the waters and ask another.

Before my 1978 Trooper Mk. III came to be mine, the previous owner had the barrel cut down to 4.25 inches. In doing this, the original front sight was gone and replaced with a blade-type sight that is pinned in place in a slot in the top of the barrel.

To make a long story short, I would like to restore the front sight to as close to the original as I can.

Any help in finding replacement front sights or advice on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Much obliged.

C79

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
does the gun shoot to point of aim?? if so i`d leave it as is or replace the bbl.a reattached site will be obivious and any money would be better spent on a better example.my opnion

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I take it this was a 6" or 8" gun he cut down??,so is the "lettering centered OK on the sides of the bbl.??

Looking at my "fairly new to me" MK.III nickle Border Patrol",virtually identical to a Trooper Mk. III,looks like you will need a new ramp for the front sight,a new pin,and sight blade(hold it while I- get a "parts catalog to see something) CRAP-thats what I was worried about: The ramp is intregal,or part of the bbl.,with only sight blades and pin being listed separate,

So,my guess would be to look for a new 4" Trooper MkIII .357 barrel. Seen some on eBay at times.

No doubt a skilled gunsmith could sweat solder or braze an aftermarket ramp on,and put in the Colt sight,but probably a new 4"(assuming this is what ya want?) bbl. and SKILLED installation would be as cheap-and the gun original.

Best of Luck
Bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts