Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im new here and not real familiar with the Colt Trooper mk iii but i just inherited one from my father. The gun is a 1980 model and has had less than a box of shells fired through it but it does have an issue with it. The latch will not move and it will not keep the cylinder locked closed. Im really wanting to get it fixed and dont have any idea how expensive it will be and dont even know who to get to do it, or do i have to have it done through Colt themselves? Any help here would really be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Flush out the area where the latch slides in the sideplate with a good cleaner/lubricant. That should free it up to move to the forward position.

·
Premium Member
9,434 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Colt will no longer repair its guns, and you don't need a gunsmith anyway, especially not one of Mr. Glenn's reputation.

The latch is probably "gummy." Tap the latch forward with a plastic-head hammer or block of wood to get it moving. Squirt some lubricant into the latch area and try to "work" it. Once it "frees up," you can consider the problem solved, and just lubricate again from time to time. However, it would be better to remove the side plate and totally clean the latch and respective channels of all old lubricant. Then, once clean, re-lubricate and reassemble.

It is not rocket science to remove the side plate, but if you need help doing so, just ask. Let us know if this solves the problem.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,743 Posts
The other Colt Master pistolsmith we recommend is Spartan.
He was trained at the Colt factory.....

https://www.facebook.com/spartanfirearmcompany/

Follow the directions above to try to free up the latch.
Under the latch, the Mark III is different then the older Colt design.
Under the latch is a "Z" spring that powers the latch.

Try putting a little CLP Breakfree on the latch pin in the center of the recoil shield on the frame, and around the exposed grooves of the latch that you can see with the cylinder open.
Operate the latch to spread the lubricant into the parts. Hopefully that will free it up.

Here's some general info on the Colt Trooper Mark III.....

Mark III

Here's a schematic for the Mark III. Click on the schematic to expand it.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/colt/revolvers-colt/trooper-mkiii

If you have reasonable hand skills you could remove the side plate to clean it out and apply fresh lubricant.
After some years lubes tend to dry out and get sticky.
If you'd like to disassemble it, I STRONGLY recommend buying the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual Volume Two.
This is a training manual for new pistolsmiths so it will show you how to properly disassemble your Colt without damaging it.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/books-amp-videos/books/handgun-gunsmithing-books/colt-double-action-revolvers-shop-manual-volume-ii-prod25721.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts