Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt trooper MK III vented rib...........anybody seen one. I was at a gun show last weekend and flagged down a guy selling a minty python in the crowd, and 45 minutes later I was $hitting my pants in envy of this guy's collection. Long story short he doesn't have a computer, but has a lot of questions. Apparently he bought a bunch of troopers in the '80s and one of them has a vented barrel. We were both wonderning if this was a transitional piece, and what parts were combined to make this gun. From what I hear this piece is NIB. Sorry I don't have pics.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The vented rib barrel was apparently a transition item from the Trooper Mark III to the Trooper Mark V.

The only difference "as far as I know" (note the qualifier) was the vent barrel, which was used on the Trooper Mark V.

I "think" (qualifier again) that the vent rib barrel was a standard up-grade on the last year Mark III, and was carried over in the new Mark V.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Colt trooper MK III vented rib...........anybo

You were just the man I was hoping to hear from. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Bowhunter, the Trooper MKV was a "V" frame with a larger frame, barrel threads, etc. than the Trooper mark III "J" frame guns, so it's doubtful there is any "transitional" connection generally associated with a mix of old style and new style parts used in assembling guns of the same model series. The only MKIII "J" frame vent rib barrels I am aware of are the Officers Model Match MKIII barrels that have the same identical contour, profile, threads etc. as the Trooper MKIII barrels with the three milled "vent" slots being the only difference. Perhaps, the fellow is lucky enough to have a rare MKIII OMM and has his models confused, or since the MKIII OMM fizzled at around 430 total production, some leftover OMM barrels were used to build Trooper MKIII's. It's not often valuable parts were scrapped if there was a practical way to use them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
"Trooper MKV was a "V" frame with a larger frame, barrel threads, etc. than the Trooper mark III "J" frame guns,"

Sorry, that's flat wrong.
The Colt "J", "V", and "AA" frames were all the same size, and used the same .562"-36 barrel threads.

The only differences between the Mark III's "J" frame, the Mark V's "V" frame, and the King Cobra's "AA" frame was in the hammer, trigger, and mainspring assemblies.

The only real difference between frames was, the Mark III has a full square butt and the Mark V and King Cobra have an identical rounded butt design, with the King Cobra being made of stainless steel.

Over the years I've seen several late model Trooper Mark III's with a vented barrel, barrels plainly marked "Trooper Mark III.
As I said, this was apparently a Mark III upgrade carried over to the Mark V

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
"Trooper MKV was a "V" frame with a larger frame, barrel threads, etc. than the Trooper mark III "J" frame guns,"

Sorry, that's flat wrong.
The Colt "J", "V", and "AA" frames were all the same size, and used the same .562"-36 barrel threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops!...Big boo-boo....That's what I get for still trying to separate Colt frame sizes by just grip size(J, V, AA, MM, etc) and being too lazy to walk into the next room and check the shop manual. If only Colt had kept it as simple as S&W....J-small, K-bigger, L-a little bigger, N-even bigger, X-humongous... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dfariswheel is correct about all three frame designations using the same barrel thread of .562 X 36. The larger barrels didn't come along until the Anaconda MM frame. I should have known better, because I just recently compared several Colt barrel thread sizes while contemplating the birth of a S&W/Colt Frankenstein. A bit of trivia....Did you know the L frame S&W uses the exact same barrel thread diameter as a Python?
Anyway, my apologies Bowhunter, for the brain fart answer. From the link to the other thread, it appears that at least some of the last year production MKIII Troopers's had the vent rib barrels, which raises some interesting questions.
1- Has there been enough sightings to determine if all the MKIII vent ribs were on 357's, or if any of the 22lr or 22 mag guns had the vent ribs? All being 357 might indicate they were built with unused OMM vent rib barrels, or perhaps an early mixed use of barrels destined for the MKV 357's. The MKIII and MKV overlapped by a year or so, and a few of the early MKV's were produced with the solid rib.
2- Were all the confirmed vent rib MKIII sightings nickel, or were some of them blue? I think the other thread confirmed two nickel or Coltguard, and one possible blue.
3- Were they special order only? This would seem to be the case if the vent ribs appeared on calibers other than the 357. The MKV was never made in 22 cal, unless there's one hiding in the factory vault keeping the rumored Python 22lr company . Some of the early MKV's having solid ribs would seem to indicate there was no shortage of solid rib barrels for the MKIII's, unless barrel supply/timing/demand caused a few glitches in production.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buckeye,

No worries!! We are all trying to learn!!! Im not sure which caliber his is. I will contact him soon and ask. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts