Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a line on a .22 Trooper. I was hoping it was a first issue, but it turned out to be a MKIII. The surprise was that it was a magnum. Really nice shape, looks like it had fired a bit of .22 LR.

I have an open rod Cobra on hold (223xxx). HEAVY holster wear, but otherwise excellent. It was worn daily by a jeweler whose holster wore on the cylinder and wore a bare strip across the topstrap. But the price is right. I'll post pics when I get it.

Jack

·
Registered
715 Posts
How can one tell .22LR was fired in a .22Mag? That is a dangerous practice. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like shooting 38s in a 357-leading in the cylinder,making it difficult to load the magnum round.I don't see it as dangerous-just marginal accuracy as the .22 magnum barrel bore .001 larger in diameter.Trying to shoot magnums from a .22lr gun, not advised.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You didn't say what the Trooper is selling for,and I saw one last week in a pawn shop, a Stainless 6".with factory "rubber medallion stocks",but no box etc. It is .22 lr. Price is $395.

Probably able to get the seller down to $350,but it is just too much a "B.F.G." for a .22! Besides,I had a 4" blued .22lr. Trooper Mk III,a few years back that was lousy in every aspect!

As far as telling that .22 lrs. were fired,there will be a build up of crud,fouling and even burn marks caused by the narrower and shorter .22 lr. rounds being fired in the .22 Mag chambers.

Blokey is correct about the danger,as it is theoretically possible for one of the .22 lrs. to burst,and a sliver of brass could escape the chamber walls,hitting the shooter/bystanders.

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Did you actually puchase the Trooper even though it wasn't what you hoped, or is it still "on the shelf"? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Posted by A1A:
Did you actually puchase the Trooper even though it wasn't what you hoped, or is it still "on the shelf"? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it sight unseen with a description of ".22 Trooper in real nice shape" for $260. The surprise came when I picked it up. I was very happy with it, haven't shot it yet. I want to give it a good cleaning first.

Jack

·
Registered
807 Posts
Jack Lawman:

1)Very nice looking Trooper Mark III .22!

2)I have a line on a NIB(1950's vintage!)Colt Trooper .22(4-inch barrel)that I'm hoping to be able to acquire soon? I can't wait(As this revolver is truly in beautiful condition)!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Colt Trooper MKIII .22 Mag 6" and love it. It is a tad on the heavy side for a .22 but is an excellent shooter. I think that you will be well pleased with the performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts