Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I just got my first AR, ever. A Colt Trooper. The LE6920-R!! I'm pretty excited.

Photo Credit - Colt Trooper® Patrol Carbine

I did the paperwork today, it'll take until next week before I can pick it up. That's cool. It's time to think about what I'll be doing with it though.

Things I'll need right away are:

• A scope. I would like a magnified scope. I'm not sure I'll need anything more than a 7x Maybe a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6? Leupold Pig Plex?
  • Back up sights. I'm thinking maybe a Vortex Venom Red dot on a 45 degree rail.
  • A bunch of ammo to see what she likes. It's a 1 in 7 twist, I'm thinking anything over 55gr?

What says you? Where should I start with ammo and sighting systems. I definitely want a magnified scope.

Thanks! Glad to be here.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Red dot, back up iron sights, and a nice Vickers sling would be a good start.
Nice carbine!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Advanced congrats to your new Colt Trooper Patrol carbine, you won't be disappointed.

I'm a very long time Colt AR owner for around 46 years, I've had at least a dozen Colt AR, currently I have 4 carbines and one rifle, all of them have great dependability and durability, in my own personal opinion it's hard to beat Colt for the same or higher cost.

Before you get your AR don't expect a perfect finish, my Colts and others that I talked with have finishes that are imperfect due to factory handling, because they are mass produced products.

As for ammo I usually get the lowest price military surplus M855 5.56mm 62 gr green tip ammo (Federal, Winchester, IMI) that I could find for practice, sometimes I also use commercial brands (Federal, Fiocchi, PMC, etc) 55 or 62 grains .223 with brass cases they work fine if I can't find any surplus ammo.

For accuracy I had used Black Hills Ammunition in 69, 75 and 77 grains, and another one I like is the Hornady TAP 75 grains hollow point all these have excellent quality and accuracy in my own experience.

Vortex and Leupold are pretty good, if you would like a slightly lower cost take a look at either Bushnell, Nikon, or Weaver, but these lower cost optics are not as durable as the higher priced brands, in optics, guns and most everything else, you get what you pay for.

For a backup red dot sight the better model in my opinion is the Vortex SPARC AR which should be a more durable design than the Venom, the Venom reflex type or other brands reflex system dot are a little harder to see in very bright sunlight.

Of course the best brand of red dot in my long 28 years experience as an owner would be Aimpoint, they cost a lot more but they're worth it.

Reactions: Patrol

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I handled a Trooper Carbine at a gun show this past weekend...very nice. The bad thing is that I live in occupied territory and it's not legal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Advanced congrats to your new Colt Trooper Patrol carbine, you won't be disappointed.

I'm a very long time Colt AR owner for around 46 years, I've had at least a dozen Colt AR, currently I have 4 carbines and one rifle, all of them have great dependability and durability, in my own personal opinion it's hard to beat Colt for the same or higher cost.

Before you get your AR don't expect a perfect finish, my Colts and others that I talked with have finishes that are imperfect due to factory handling, because they are mass produced products.

As for ammo I usually get the lowest price military surplus M855 5.56mm 62 gr green tip ammo (Federal, Winchester, IMI) that I could find for practice, sometimes I also use commercial brands (Federal, Fiocchi, PMC, etc) 55 or 62 grains .223 with brass cases they work fine if I can't find any surplus ammo.

For accuracy I had used Black Hills Ammunition in 69, 75 and 77 grains, and another one I like is the Hornady TAP 75 grains hollow point all these have excellent quality and accuracy in my own experience.

Vortex and Leupold are pretty good, if you would like a slightly lower cost take a look at either Bushnell, Nikon, or Weaver, but these lower cost optics are not as durable as the higher priced brands, in optics, guns and most everything else, you get what you pay for.

For a backup red dot sight the better model in my opinion is the Vortex SPARC AR which should be a more durable design than the Venom, the Venom reflex type or other brands reflex system dot are a little harder to see in very bright sunlight.

Of course the best brand of red dot in my long 28 years experience as an owner would be Aimpoint, they cost a lot more but they're worth it.

Thanks @AR15_1911 - that's what I was looking for! I'm glad the 55gr. bullets work half decently out of the Colt with a 1 in 7 twist, being how common/cheap they are. But I'm even more glad to hear that the heavier bullets are what you use for accuracy work.

I noted the finish on the rifle was a little less than to be desired when I was looking over the thing at the gun shop. When I pointed it out to the owner, that it looked rather rough, he actually scowled and took a rag and started to clean it. It was kind of humorous.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I handled a Trooper Carbine at a gun show this past weekend...very nice. The bad thing is that I live in occupied territory and it's not legal.

That is unfortunate. I have to admit that I've been a fan of the old lever action. It'll never be as fast as a semi (or have the mag capacity), but they sure swing and come up to the shoulder nicely.

Speaking of which, I did find after years of bolts and levers that bringing up the AR was a very odd experience. This is not a rifle you want to have any kind of sighting system low on the gun. Man that's going to take some getting used too lol!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Snidleyw. Md’s rep governor yesterday appointed to the state’s second highest court, the state’s lead lawyer in Kolbe.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
It is a nice looking rifle, I am partial to the old M16 configuration, but that is because I learned on one. What is the caliber, .223? I am not familiar with this model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a nice looking rifle, I am partial to the old M16 configuration, but that is because I learned on one. What is the caliber, .223? I am not familiar with this model.
Yup, 5.56 or .223. It's your everyday LE6920, just with different furniture.

I ordered some toys for it today:

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. Midway is throwing in the mount with it - so yay.

Got some Magpul furniture - stalk, forend grip. As well as all that stuff you need when you get any new rifle. Case, cleaning rods, etc.

I wasn't sure really what magnified optic I wanted on the rifle. I figure the Vortex should do what needs doing until I figure out if it deserves nicer glass. The Magpul stuff was on sale at Midway, that's why I got it. I can see this AR thing getting expensive, and fast!

Off to buy some ammo now - woot!!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That's a good looking carbine.

I "personalized" my Colt 9mm AR by changing the hand guards to a UTG Pro hand guard, adding a Surefire M6 Scout Light, traditional AR sights, and a Sig Romeo5 red dot sight.

I guess I'm old fashioned; when I first saw the acronym BUIS and learned it meant Back Up Iron Sights I laughed out loud. Growing up I learned how to use "iron" sights before I even handled a rifle with a scope on it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I checked the Colt spec sheet and it lists the caliber as 5.56x45mm, so you should have a longer throated chamber. Since you have a one in seven twist, you might consider the various Mk262 Mod 0 loads made by Black Hills and, like some I just bought, by Federal in a white box. Slung in, you can shoot reliably at 600 yards even with a 16 inch bbl. If you consider reloading, the common across the course high power load is a 77 Sierra Match King in a Lake City case over 24-24.5 grains of Reloder 15 and a CCI 41 or other small magnum rifle primer, being sure to work up from 23.5 grains. With a good free floating barrel and some load tuning, you can get a half minute of angle. The heavier longer bullets have transformed the AR15 into a low-recoil mid-range rifle and give up little if anything to the 308 in terms of accuracy at mid range. With the 16.1" bbl, I would think 600 yards would be about your outside limit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Greetings and hope everyone had a safe and nice Thanksgiving Day. Recently ran across a thread or two regarding the LE6920-R. Very good reviews from both professional (reviewers) who I don't trust all that much and actual owners who I normally trust.

They pretty much stated when introduced the rifle was in the 700.00 + range then the price went anywhere from mid-800.00s to over a 1,000.00. Found one guy this week selling several with no reserve. Looked like they were bring mid-7s and perhaps a little more. Found one online today for 739.99 shipped. Bought one. Just what I friggin' need; another AR. :bang_wall: :cool:

Have a Vortex Sparc AR and VMX-3T i'll likely mount to it. Have a set of MBUS as well. Really looking forward to getting it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very similar to their Colt Combat Unit. I picked up one of those earlier this year. Both are very nice carbines! Good luck with yours!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts