Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old model Trooper in .357 with a 4-inch barrel. It is the model just like the .357 model. The serial number is 73XXX, and I believe it was made in 1968?

I was unfortunate enough to have it stolen many years ago, and fortunate enough to have it recovered after almost 10 years and returned to me. When it was stolen, it had the original target grips, hammer and trigger. When it was recovered, it had extremely worn service grips on it, it was rusty and the hammer had been crudely filed down to remove the hammer spur. Also very fortunately, my brother was going through Yavapai College's Gunsmithing degree program and he was able to replace the hammer and trigger and do an action job since it was a required part of the curriculum to do these on an old-style Colt DA. The bad part was the rust pits were so deep that the rollmarks would have been removed in order to polish them out. So the gun was given a very un-collectible bead blast finish.

But - I got it back and it shoots very well, indeed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
my fathers Trooper (6" blued) was also stolen a few years back. We know who stole it and know it ended up at the bottom of a local bayou during a chase....

Bottom line is, I grew up shooting that gun and always loved it. My dad and I had alot of memories with it and it would have been something to always remember him by one day....

For that and other reasons, the Trooper has been and will always be one of my favorites.

I share in your pain; I hope you will find another(others) that you find will replace yours or learn to still love yours.

Lee

·
Registered
228 Posts
This shows the wisdom of keeping current lists of all your serial numbers. Was it recovered as the result of an NCIC check?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Your gun can never be brought back to the condition as you remember it as. My advise is to sell the gun and purchase a Trooper in the same condition as you remember it as. Just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was recovered during a traffic stop, I believe. It was orginally owned by my now-deceased uncle, who used to take me shooting as a teenager. He owned a gold mine up in the mountains between Pasadena and Palmdale, and that was a cool place to be at that age!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts