Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a difficult to find Colt small frame conversion type 7. This is a Colt New Model Police pistol with a newly manufactured 6 1/2" solid barrel with loading gate and ejector in 38 Colt. About 1500 of this model manufactured around 1872. Makes a nice size single action in a reasonable caliber for its day.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is rimfire.

I don't know if it has ever been reported how many of each were made. The different type numbers are confusing and seem to change every time someone writes about these.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Patterson,
I see two sets of numbers on your cylinder??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, these typically have two numbers, the first being the number of the gun and the second an assembly number on the cylinder and two other places.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is rimfire.

"I don't know if it has ever been reported how many of each were made. The different type numbers are confusing and seem to change every time someone writes about these.
"

According to the book Variations of Colt's by Breslin, Pirie, and Price, the latest study, there are 7 types. This book gives a lot of detail on each type and numbers manufactured, type 6 has 4500 manufactured. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in small frame conversions, about $35.00.

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Were you able to get any info from colt? I tried for my Model 1862 Conversion (38RF) but seems they are missing records. I plan to get a copy of the book as mentioned above. Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi Members,
Were two lots of numbers put on all conversions? And did Colt under take these conversions or were there other makers converting these revolvers, and adding this extra number. Interesting post.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The double numbers only occur on a few of the conversions. There were seven types of the conversions by Colt but there were also "gunsmith" conversions done by a variety of sources. Conversions were a popular lower cost revolver in the 1870-1880 era.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts