1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just acquired this last night...

IMG_0201.jpg

I thought it was very interesting, and a bit different from what I have. (I apologize for the poor photo).

The serial number (293913) inside the crane indicates it was manufactured in 1920. It does have 'U. S. Army Model 1917' and an Army number stamped on the bottom, as well as an eagle's head and 'S15' on the top of the frame. 'United States Property' is stamped on the bottom of the barrel, along with Colt's name, address, and patent numbers on the top of the barrel. Above the serial number in the crane, there is a small 'H'.

It did at one time have a swivel for a lanyard ring, although there is a plug in its place (the fit and finish of the plug appears to be experly done, and the bluing matches the rest of the gun). Oddly enough, it has plastic grips. The bluing is in good condition, and doesn't appear to be refinished. This came with some modern full-moon clips as well.

I am considering replacing the plastic grips with wood, but I don't think I will try to put in a swivel.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello!
I have never seen those plastic grips. As the 1917 had wooden grips that usually last a long time I have no idea who made these replacements? How do they look from the inside???
Peter

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts

The serial number (293913) inside the crane indicates it was manufactured in 1920. .
Your M1917 was likely manufactured in very late 1918, Nov. or Dec.

To quote an older post from a forum expert:
“The last M1917 was delivered during the second week of February, 1919. There were no M1917's made in 1920 - you were likely consulting a widely quoted source that has many errors.”

For details, you should peruse the sticky thread above titled “Colt 1917 Serial-Service Numbers”.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That's in fantastic shape for it's age! That bluing looks great for a military revolver.
Good luck with the old classic 1917.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I agree with putting the swivel back on. A set of original grips too. Nice gun. Congratulations!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would say that 1917 has been refinished. The WW I finish was never that smooth. There should be areas on both sides of the front sight that look like vertical marks. Some 1917s were refurbished for the Second World War. WW II replacement grips were plastic.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have to agree as to the refinish. The finish on these revolvers showed distinctive
swirl marks on the frame from the machining. There was no effort to polish these
completely due to the haste in getting firearms to the army at this time. Also, the
vertical marks along the front site were left for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting!

All I had to go on for a manufacture date was the serial number lookup on Colt's website, which in some cases isn't correct. But the military serial number is 44291.

As to being refinished... if it was, it was refinished long, long ago and was a very good job. Either way, I like it. :)

I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts