Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Revolver Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Auto part

The other day I acquired this Model 1901. I've perused a lot of older threads here pertaining to that model and learned a lot. I got it as part of a trading deal including several non-gun items, so it's hard to pin a dollar price on what I paid for it to know whether I got a "good deal", but I'm happy with what I got; I've wanted a sample of an old DA Colt.
The bottom of the grip is marked "US Army Model 1901 No. 168 XXX", so that puts it in the number range of actual 1901 models, not an updated earlier model. It has the correct smooth wood grips and the lanyard loop. Cylinder latch, frame, and crane are stamped with the last four digits of the serial number, but not the cylinder itself. That brings me to my first question. The cylinder has the RAC initials twice (see pic). I've found some indications that that means something, but not what. Can anybody help?
My other area of interest pertains to the later history of the gun. It has the LEB initials, so it was part of the 1918 Remington refurbishing contract. Do we have any information what happened to those guns afterwards? Since by then we are far into the 1911 era, were they actually returned to active service? And do we know when they were released for sale in the civilian market? My gun shows definite signs of holster wear, but it's hard to envision a civilian lugging a 6-inch barreled gun around a lot.
If anybody has some insights to share, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
"RAC" was the mark of Rinaldo A. Carr, Army Ordnance's chief civilian sub-inspector of these pistols assigned to the Colt factory. I don't know why some cylinders were double stamped. I don't exactly know what happened to the 1918 Remington reworks. I suspect that a few made it back into the war (as second line weapons), some were probably distributed to National Guard units, and most went into Navy reserve storage without additional Navy markings. Many of those (about 20K) were sent to Britain under Lend-Lease during early WWII for local defense use. Some of these were rechambered for .38-200.

I also suspect that large numbers went home with their users after their tours were up.

Buck

Reactions: DawnPatrol6
1 - 2 of 2 Posts