Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

I have always loved Colt Woodsman pistols. In fact, the first pistol that was truly my own, is a Colt Woodsman my Father gave me as a Christmas present when I was 12 years old. I still have that pistol and enjoy it very much.

Anyway, over the years I have acquired several other Woodsman pistols including this US PROPERTY marked version. It is in good condition with ColtWood stocks. It has a US PROPERTY marking under the words "THE WOODSMAN" on the left side of the frame, and has a "GHD" inspection stamp on the right side. Thought I would show it here.

Take Care!
Tom

F-24-S-0060.jpg F-24-S-0061.jpg F-24-S-0061-C.jpg F-24-S-0060-C.jpg

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally, I was visiting a local gun shop this past week and they had several vintage boxes of .22LR ammunition. I thought it would be nice to have a couple to display with my WOODSMAN pistols as well as my Officer's Model.

WWII-.22-Ammo-0001.jpg WWII-.22-Ammo-0002.jpg

As I was going through the boxes, and making my selections, I discovered the box below with a US Army lot number printed on the flap as well as being dated 1945.

WWII-.22-Ammo-0003.jpg WWII-.22-Ammo-0004.jpg WWII-.22-Ammo-0005.jpg

What a FUN find and a perfect companion to my Match Target above. The ammunition ranged from $4.00 to $10.00 a box which I thought sounded more than fair. I am not an ammunition collector, however, so have no idea about these costs.

Take Care!
Tom

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for sharing the images of your Bullseye and the ammo. I think you did great on the ammo. Most .22 ammo I see that is military lot number at gun shows is about $25 per box.

If you haven't lettered your Bullseye, you may want to do that. Many, including this gun, were shipped to the Navy.

Happy New Year to all!
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Nice pistols, both. Except for a few that went to the USCG I think they all went to the Navy.
A shipment of 8 was engraved US COAST GUARD on the right side. Another shipment of 8 was engraved the same way, but on the left side. Both shipments went to the Coast Guard.

Bob Rayburn

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
22 MT 16561 Navy.jpg MT8282 marked "US Coast Guard" right shipped Joseph Lorch Feb 9, 1940 also pencil engraved "NASA"
MT12432 shipped US Navy. Crossed cannon and "GHD"
MT16561 "GHD" right and "US PROPERTY" left.

I have written that 3962 match target to the military. Some sources you may want to read: Bill Jenkins"US Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols". E A Brink Colt Rimfire Automatic Pistols pgs 33-35 most military MTs were destroyed. 22 MT 8282 US CG (800x600).jpg 22 MT 12432 US b.jpg 22 MT 12432 US c.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great pieces here Tom! The history behind these old guns is amazing.

If you don’t mind me asking, as I’m new to the world of Colts and collecting, what would a Gun such as yours go for? I’d love to get my hands on a beautiful firearm like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
What was the military using these guns for?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
According to Bill Jenkins # MT8282 and another in a shipment of two were either samples or even gifts on loan accounts. If anyone has more info please contact me. I bought this pistol and others from Lowell Pauli - and we had long conversations on provenance w/o positive proof.

My limited research and investigations suggests that many of these pistols were used for marksmanship. In a published piece by Wm R Wells " A Study of US Coast Guard Marksmanship 1790-1985" and Bill Jenkins book gives some insight into the match and marksmanship of military teams. Although match shooting is still popular now, I think shooting teams, clubs, etc were even more popular in the past and maybe even more competitive. Think Camp Perry. I may be prejudice to the good old days (I'm getting old).

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Y'all,

"DrewSharp" I am not entirely sure what the value is on these pistols now. I know what I paid in 2010, and I would not sell if for that now. Based on the rise in Colt Woodsman values and the strong interest in US military firearms I am thinking these pistols could fetch $3,000.00 in decent shape. I could be way off and I am not interested in selling mine . . . just throwing out a number (perhaps foolishly).

"bsmally23" I would guess the military would have used these Match Target Woodsman pistols for marksmanship training and/or competitive shooting within and between different units and branches. They are really great shooting .22 pistols.

Take Care!
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
What was the military using these guns for?
In my opinion most were used for marksmanship training, but apparently not all. A few years ago I bought 3 or 4 that had military markings and had been chopped into about three pieces. A couple of them were threaded for a silencer, which suggests a use other than marksmanship training. ;-)

I salvaged some rear sights and some internals and resold the rest.

Bob Rayburn

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
The USCG pistols had the U.S.COAST GUARD engraved rather than roll marked or stamped.

MT_USCG01.jpg

There were also some shipped to the USMC and so marked.

98_S04.jpg

This one, SN 98-S, was in one of the very first shipments, all Match Targets, from the Second Series. There were later shipments, all Sport Models, to the USMC in the 13x,xxx-S range.

Bob Rayburn

1 - 20 of 41 Posts