Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with the USA Edition SAA Colt produced around 1984? Don Wilkerson gives a pretty good description on page 298 of his book "The Post-War Colt Single-Action Army Revolver 1976-1986". They were inlaid with gold and had checkered real ivory grips. Wilkerson says the work was done by Colt Master Engravers. The retail price at the time was $4995, which was a LOT of money for a gun in 1984. There were supposed to be 100 guns made, one for each state and one for each state capitol. The serial "numbers" were the names of the states and of the state capitols. There is one on Joe Salter's web site (and on GunsInternational Colt Single Action Frontier Six Shooter NEW YORK Commemorative), serial number New York, that was signed by Steve Kamyk and is listed for $4795. There was also one in the recent Rock Island auction, serial number "Providence" (https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...dition-providence-single-action-army-revolver) that sold for about $2600. No engraver was listed for that one.
usaedition6.JPG
- Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watch4Bear - Do you remember where you saw it for sale. I am collecting information on these revolvers. I wonder if all 100 guns were actually produced.

- - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
I once owned one for Annapolis, MD that Howard Dove did. I valued it high at $4500 because Dove did the engraving.
The guy that got it from me has had it for sale at many local gun shows for $7000 range if he has not lowered his price, recently.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I jist wish I could look at 5,000 dollars....even if the 5K was somebody else's! it ain't only dry on the desert Y'all! Nice SAA! I'll shoot my Buck25 Rugers and still have me some fun!?

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry - The gun in the photo in my original post has "H.M. DOVE ENGR." stamped on the left side of the butt under the grip panel. It also has a string of numbers after Dove's name that appear to be random. I showed it to Beverly Haynes at the CCA convention and she didn't know what the numbers meant. The serial number of the gun is "Richmond".

- - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
Bruce, I think those numbers were Howard's registry number with some engraving organization like the Engraver's Guild. I have those on a couple of guns Howard did.
Ken Hurst once told me what organization they were from, but I have forgotten.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
It's a very handsome revolver...a good example of "less is more" when it comes to embellishments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts