Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks that way to me.

Seems they are on a gradual, steady appreciation slope.

About six months ago I had to lighten the load by selling my 90+% GCNM with ivories and all the original box goodies.

It brought around $1200 shipped and took a while to even bring that.

Currently it appears that it would be gone within a day if not hours.

Honestly, I hope they keep appreciating.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Yes, I'm certain of it. I only started shooting but 5 years ago, of the 4 Colts I have (and shoot) collectively they have gone up about 30-40%. When you consider I USE them, it's like the value of my Camry was worth 40% more with 5 yrs and 80,000 miles more on the hoof than when I bought it.

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
729 Posts
Seems they are on a gradual, steady appreciation slope.

About six months ago I had to lighten the load by selling my 90+% GCNM with ivories and all the original box goodies.

It brought around $1200 shipped and took a while to even bring that.
I would have given $1500. :D

I think that Colts have increased in value (especially, those nice ones [90%+] and/or those that sold in smaller numbers). Or, they have done so around here.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Where would we all be if just two years ago we spent 100K on NIB hard to find Colts Diamondbacks, Pythons, 1911's ? We could have paid full retail and we would still be 50% up on our investment today. This is provided if we bit the bullet paid the price and just bought the best. Nobody likes to pay retail, but heres where paying retail was a bargain. You cannot find the items you could find two years ago,,, at any price.

John

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where would we all be if just two years ago we spent 100K on NIB hard to find Colts Diamondbacks, Pythons, 1911's ? We could have paid full retail and we would still be 50% up on our investment today. This is provided if we bit the bullet paid the price and just bought the best. Nobody likes to pay retail, but heres where paying retail was a bargain. You cannot find the items you could find two years ago,,, at any price.

John
And, John, when I get back up on the horse, I'm buying from you! :)

I stop by regularly and gaze thru the window of your candy store.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Everyone likes a bargain, but certain Colts need to be purchased when the opportunity presents itself. Provided the price is remotely in your budget. This does not apply to your run of the mill 92% 1978 .38 4 inch Diamondback but does apply to a 1968 2.5 inch Diamomback .22 new in the box. Look at the opportunity factor, and try to determine what just this opportunity alone is worth ? What are my odds of finding either one of these guns again ? What are my odds of finding either one of these guns again someone is willing to sell me ? It doesnt take much looking around to figure out whats out there to be had and whats not.

John

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hey John, My bit of advice for everyone is to not look back at where the values were 5 years ago but look forward and realize that the value 5 years from now will be again 50% higher than today. Realize that the 5 years ago in 5 years is TODAY!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hey John, My bit of advice for everyone is to not look back at where the values were 5 years ago but look forward and realize that the value 5 years from now will be again 50% higher than today. Realize that the 5 years ago in 5 years is TODAY!
Its hard for people to jump in the market when stock is up, thats human nature. But when history repeats itself year after year you have to get past the price of the stock and proceed. Like you said,, no future in the past. Put 20 years of historical Colt prices on a spread sheet, there are no ups and downs,, just ups. Wrap your head around that. Thats a solid foundation to make some sound decisions.

John

·
Registered
382 Posts
speaking as a newbie: been intimately involved in other collectibles, many factors influence a market. With Colt, you kinda know what you are buying, give or take a fake box or refinish.
They don't eat anything, and they don't take up much room, and they are nice to fondle, good old USA. I have made adjustments to what I am buying just in a short period of time.
Quick story: 1979 was heavy into "Hummel" Plates, Bells & figurines, buying and selling. Gentleman drove 500 miles to buy $3000 worth from me. He said to me "I have lost money on everything I have invested in, these Hummels are a winner" I immediately sold every piece I had. Hummels soon crashed, never to recover. No crystal ball, just a lucky guess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So are Colts going up in value, or is everything else going down?

Forget the gold standard, I say we return to the python standard :D

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Guns have intrinsic value because they can be used for protection and hunting for food (as long as you have ammunition). Things like gold, or Hummels, have no practical use apart from peoples desire to own them. Other tools also have intrinsic value. If the worst happens, things that are usable for survival will be priceless. To me, that makes guns different from other "collectibles." The appreciation is nice, but the intrinsic value is the most important to me.

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
729 Posts
Guns have intrinsic value because they can be used for protection and hunting for food (as long as you have ammunition).
Judge,
You made a great point, and I agree 100%. You forgot to mention that they are fun to shoot, fun to clean, and fun to look at (or admire the "workmanship").

My wife thinks that I am "nuts". I like rotating 6-7 guns around on the bookshelf in my office. It's because I get great enjoyment in "looking" at 'em. ;) I also like taking 3-4 to the range at least twice a month.

I've always accumulated old cars. That has intrinsic value (you can drive them to the LGS, to work, or to church). I'd buy three "junk" cars and make one good one (I enjoyed doing it). I'd buy the three for $6K and sell the finished one for $10K. Little did I know that I would end up selling the unused spare parts for more profit than I ever dreamed of.

One last thought. An old timer car guy (now I am one) once told me that "you make your profit when you buy it right". It's the best advice that I ever got. Nonetheless, I don't always buy strictly to "book value". I may see something that I think may find a future following among guys that like Colts (or S&W). It's something that I really like.

The only downside is that it is something that I will really enjoy owning...:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think all the shooting shows on discovery and A&E, and the newer zombie shows are also helping prices out. hopefully they will stay up.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Like you said,, no future in the past. Put 20 years of historical Colt prices on a spread sheet, there are no ups and downs,, just ups. Wrap your head around that. Thats a solid foundation to make some sound decisions.

John
I agree with John. I bought one of my simple, little Colt LW Officer ACPs for $429.00 LNIB in 1991 and still have it to this day. Now I see them going for upwards of $700.00 on AuctionArms. Great investment looking back. Wish I had had the Colt initiative and interest then that I have now. But ya know, I'm more of a collector than investor, so even if I had "bought low" I probably would still not be "selling high" today. I'm just a silly old fart. Gotta love them Colts!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I believe that Colt revolvers will continue to appreciate somewhat. I don't know if Pythons and Diamondbacks will continue to escalate in price like they have in the last couple of years. I personally doubt it. Regardless of what you are interested in and buy, you need to buy smart. You can loose money on Colts if you pay too much and sell too soon.

You cannot find the items you could find two years ago,,, at any price.
That's true for now. But that will change as collections are liquidated. They will be liquidated. You just have to be prepared when a buying opportunity presents itself.

Colt LW Officer ACPs for $429.00 LNIB in 1991 and still have it to this day. Now I see them going for upwards of $700.00 on AuctionArms. Great investment looking back.
Maybe doubling your money in 20 years is a good investment to you, but not me. But at least you aren't loosing money relative to your original price. I still say you need to like what you collect. That way when you actually sell something, you don't feel betrayed by the $$ not realized in your investment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts