Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I took a class to qualify for the enhanced endorsement for my Mississippi weapons permit. During the shooting part of the course the guy next to me was shooting one of the Kimber 1911's. His gun jammed 4 times in the 50 round qualification. My Colt Defender has never jammed in 3 years and over 2000 rounds fired. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I only own one Kimber, an Ultra CDPII .45 ACP. I've fired 2000+ rounds without a failure. Not my favorite, gave it to my wife. She loves it. I am a Wilson Combat fan and carry a "Bill Wilson" CQB daily. I also have a Tactical Supergrade with ivories. I have many Colt 1911's but I still like my Wilson Combat's the best. No comparison! The only problem I'm starting to experience is the pressure needed to rack the Wilson's. I have arthritis in my left wrist and it hurts. They have extremely heavy springs.

Reactions: meezer

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not really. I've owned a bunch of Colts since the Seventies, and five Kimbers. I've experienced excellent reliability with the Kimbers (and Dan Wessons and STI). The Colts of the last 10-12 years have also been very reliable. More CNC equipment utilized from what I've read. Back in the day, I had all kinds of reliability problems with my Colt '70 Series Governments, a Combat Government and multiple Gold Cups. It's good those original '70 Series Colts are considered so "collectible" now days because a fair number of the ones I owned weren't that good for actually shooting....ymmv

BTW, what does an "enhanced endorsement" do for you?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Kimber normally has a good rep, so it's hard to say what the issue may have been. My only Kimber is a Solo, and that has worked just fine. If your Colt is serving you well, then be satisfied with that; Colt is arguably the original, and will always command a premium.
I've a 9mm Defender that has a great trigger and has always gone 'bang' when requested.
Moon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It allows you to carry almost anywhere. The standard permit is very restrictive. Also if you ignore a no guns allowed sign with the standard permit it is a criminal trespass offense , with the enhanced they can only ask you to get off the property.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
My opinion is for shooting similarly priced Kimbers are better than the new Colts. I like the Custom Shop Kimbers which run about the same as the Gold Cups. For collecting the Colts will always do better when resold. I really like the upper end Springfields for shooting. My buddy has had a couple of Wilson's and a Les Baer (Cant remember models but I think all were in the 1800-2200 neighborhood new), but I was never that impressed with them for what they cost. Dont get me wrong they looked and handled like a really good gun, I just would rather buy a Custom Shop Kimber or nice Springfield and keep a few hundred in my pocket. I havent ever had a chance to handle/play with a High End Ed Brown, but if I ever decide to put out that kind of money on a shooter 1911, thats probably what I would go for. Just my little old 2 cents, and might not be worth that much lol.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
There is no telling if the guy's Kimber was straight out of the box new without benefit of cleaning the factory gunk off it? Some 3 years ago I took my renewal CHL range qualification and 2 people had spanky new pistols, one was a Kimber the other a Wilson. Both jammed more than a few times and held up the class enough that the instructor told them they had to wait until everyone else finished before they could complete their session. They were oh so proud of their shiny new toys until they failed. I'm betting this happens more often than not.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You cannot tell unless you have swapped guns.... could be more user-error than anything else

·
Registered
665 Posts
45acp vs 9mm..... the wife will shoot my 45acp, but hates the sharp recoil of a 9mm....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kimber vs Colt

Personally, I've owned both brands in various configurations. One commenter stated that Colts made over the past several years, haven't been the best - I believe he must have been talking about Colts made in the '70's and '80's, as Colt has made dramatic strides in putting the pistols together over the last decade or so. Over the past 10 years or so, Colt invested in CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) which enabled them to produce high quality products that were equal to Kimber, Smith, etc. As for the problem you noted at your CC class, it's almost impossible to say why your shooting partner's Kimber didn't run properly. It could have been the gun, the magazine, the ammo, and/or the shooter. As an aside, I had a Gold Match and a Raptor Kimbers (both full size), and they both ran like clocks and were very accurate (they both shot better than I could hold). I retired last January and downsized everything, including my modest gun collection. I'm down to 8 1911s, one Remington and seven Colts. I got rid of my last Kimber; a Solo, this past Spring - it was a great CC pistol, but it required three shipments back to Kimber to get it to operate properly - one shipment was due to peening on the barrel lock up lugs in the slide. Kimber did replace the slide and barrel; but by that time, I had lost faith in it. My carry gun is a Colt Cobra, which I had sent back to Colt for a refinishing and a trigger job - I do trust this revolver.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I carried several Colt Commander models in the past and never had any problems after they were broke in. The Colts never failed Me in a fight nor did they ever jam when the fight was ongoing. Most of the fights were on the Mexican Broder both at night and daytime. Some years ago I decided on a Kimber Custon Shop ccp 11. I found out I had to run a few hundred rounds in it before I felt I could count on it. I worn one Kimber out after 250,000 or so rounds thur it. The one I have now has had Kimber replaced springs in it after the factory shop told Me I should replace the recoil springs after ever 500 rounds. I had not had to use it yet in a shoot out. One Colt I had had a bad habit about throwing the fired case right back in my forehead.
All my 45s have night sights onb them as well as lazers.
I had an experence years ago that was interesting. There was a Mexican Bandito that liked to ride his horse with a silver mounted saddle across the river and shout across at the lawmen and also stand up in the saddle and display himself as he cussed across the border. It was said He never crossed the river, not once. Well one late afternoon a couple of mules were caught running thur the bambo dropping their packs as they run and running after them I came face to face with Mario, The dude with the big stallion and silver mounted saddle and the big hat. He pulled his 45 and open up at once as a catus next to me exployed as other shots hit the ground in front of me. The hat on his head flew up with the top of his skull in sidnside it with his long black hair spinning out as it flew up to land back on the ground. I picked up his 45 Colt 1911 to find the slid locked back and the gun was empty, He had fired all rounds at me from about 50 feets away and missed ever time. I looked at his 45 and it was a beauitful hand engraved gold inlaid gun with gold grips and the Mexican snake and eagle on them. Looking at the gun, I saw engraving of nude women on the top and sides of the slid and later learned they were of his wives. The inlays were gold inladed and must have cost a lot of money. I stuck the gun in my belt and we got the hell out fast before others showed up as dark was near. A few days later we were sitting around under a misquite tree talking when my friend ask if I had shot the gun? I said no and he said lets get it out and see how it hits. Both Me or him could hit a damn thing with it. The Old bandit had spent a ton of money on the 45 getting it engraved and nice grips but not one cent on getting it to hit right. That was his big mistake. It cost him his life. I think I still have his gun out at the ranch somewhere.

Texas Man

I have hear good things about the Springfeild.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Colt Combat Elite and a Kimber Compact (Model II I think)
Both have had an occasional issue. My experience with 1911 "jams" is either FTF (failure to feed) or FTE (failure to eject)
My Colt sometimes experiences FTF on the last round and I have isolated the failure to one of four Colt mags that I use. I have marked it and stretched the mag spring. I "think" it is fixed.
My Kimber had a FTE issue "right often" and I called Kimber to complain. They instructed me to ship to them.
It left with an external extractor and came back with an internal extractor. Outstanding customer service! ...and zero FTE since I got it back.
As info, there is spirited debate on the 1911 forum on external versus internal extractors.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
The Old bandit had spent a ton of money on the 45 getting it engraved and nice grips but not one cent on getting it to hit right. That was his big mistake. It cost him his life. I think I still have his gun out at the ranch somewhere.

Texas Man.
Man I would love to see pics of that one!!! (especially with the facinating story behind it:))

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I carried several Colt Commander models in the past and never had any problems after they were broke in. The Colts never failed Me in a fight nor did they ever jam when the fight was ongoing. Most of the fights were on the Mexican Broder both at night and daytime. Some years ago I decided on a Kimber Custon Shop ccp 11. I found out I had to run a few hundred rounds in it before I felt I could count on it. I worn one Kimber out after 250,000 or so rounds thur it. The one I have now has had Kimber replaced springs in it after the factory shop told Me I should replace the recoil springs after ever 500 rounds. I had not had to use it yet in a shoot out. One Colt I had had a bad habit about throwing the fired case right back in my forehead.
All my 45s have night sights onb them as well as lazers.
I had an experence years ago that was interesting. There was a Mexican Bandito that liked to ride his horse with a silver mounted saddle across the river and shout across at the lawmen and also stand up in the saddle and display himself as he cussed across the border. It was said He never crossed the river, not once. Well one late afternoon a couple of mules were caught running thur the bambo dropping their packs as they run and running after them I came face to face with Mario, The dude with the big stallion and silver mounted saddle and the big hat. He pulled his 45 and open up at once as a catus next to me exployed as other shots hit the ground in front of me. The hat on his head flew up with the top of his skull in sidnside it with his long black hair spinning out as it flew up to land back on the ground. I picked up his 45 Colt 1911 to find the slid locked back and the gun was empty, He had fired all rounds at me from about 50 feets away and missed ever time. I looked at his 45 and it was a beauitful hand engraved gold inlaid gun with gold grips and the Mexican snake and eagle on them. Looking at the gun, I saw engraving of nude women on the top and sides of the slid and later learned they were of his wives. The inlays were gold inladed and must have cost a lot of money. I stuck the gun in my belt and we got the hell out fast before others showed up as dark was near. A few days later we were sitting around under a misquite tree talking when my friend ask if I had shot the gun? I said no and he said lets get it out and see how it hits. Both Me or him could hit a damn thing with it. The Old bandit had spent a ton of money on the 45 getting it engraved and nice grips but not one cent on getting it to hit right. That was his big mistake. It cost him his life. I think I still have his gun out at the ranch somewhere.

Texas Man

I have hear good things about the Springfeild.
I'm ready for the hard cover copy! You write it - I'll buy it pard!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I own a Kimber Tactical Entry 2 which I love and is accurate as _ _ _ _. Never have had a single malfunction other than one time when it didn't like a particular brand of ammo. Other than that one episode it has been flawless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The point of the thread is to question if Kimbers are over priced and over rated as I have been told by a gun shop owner who sells both and also what I saw at the range

1 - 20 of 35 Posts