Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new grip screw and escutcheons for my 1908 from Numrich. They are protruding beyond the grip panel which does not seem correct to me.

I contacted Numrich and they said they sell a "ton" of these and are likely the correct part. They are paying for me to send them back at no charge as part of their customer service policy.

Does anybody know of a replacement escutcheon that sits flush?

IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3467.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
I recently purchased a new grip screw and escutcheons for my 1908 from Numrich. They are protruding beyond the grip panel which does not seem correct to me.

I contacted Numrich and they said they sell a "ton" of these and are likely the correct part. They are paying for me to send them back at no charge as part of their customer service policy.

Does anybody know of a replacement escutcheon that sits flush?

View attachment 541866 View attachment 541874
The escutcheons are longer than needed and are "square" cylinders. NOS Model M and N factory escutcheons come this way as well and need to be fitted. You need to take an old damaged stock, insert the new escutcheon, and carefully and slowly work it to the curved contour of the stock face with a file, finishing it with increasingly finer grits of sandpaper.

I'm sure my friend Mike Poulin is enjoying this thread with a smile on his face.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well with a little work u can make those work...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time to acquire a pair of old grips and start contouring these escutcheions. Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Time to acquire a pair of old grips and start contouring these escutcheions. Thanks for all your help!
I contour the Pre & 1st Series Woodsman escutcheion separate from the stocks. With a couple of simple depth measurements to understand the contour the task is readily accomplished and without any potential damage to the stocks or the need for a test pair.
Regards,
Tom Platt

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
I contour the Pre & 1st Series Woodsman escutcheion separate from the stocks. With a couple of simple depth measurements to understand the contour the task is readily accomplished and without any potential damage to the stocks or the need for a test pair.
Regards,
Tom Platt
I believe the radius on the surface of a Model N or M stock where the escutcheons are located is tighter that that on early Woodsman stocks. Therefore, I think a better contour/curve can be achieved on the new escutcheon by fitting to an old stock than by using high and low dimensions and filing from point A to point B.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
What tool/file would you recommend to use for contouring?

I use a small flat machinist's file 1/4" wide. When the contouring with the file has the escutcheon almost flush with the old stock, I remove it and, with sandpaper laying face up on a flat surface like a bench top, progressively smooth out the file marks with 220, 400, and 800 grit paper. You can hold both left and right escutcheons with your fingers rolling them with their contour when sanding. I usually thread a grip screw through the backside of a right side escutcheon and use it as a "handle".

joz

PM me your name and mailing address, and I will send you an old damaged stock you can use for contouring. Either a left or right stock will work for both escutcheons, it doesn't have to match left to left / right to right.

Al

1 - 15 of 15 Posts