Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

What would you say the value of the following would be:

Colt Viper 4", Blue, has box and papers. The "Book" states these were only made for one year (1977) and the top book price for NIB condition is $500.00 I have only ever seen a couple, so they "seem" to be a rare one. What would you pay for it?

Colt Lawman MK V 4", Blue, has box and papers. Again, the "book" states that these were only made from '84-'85, and the top book price is also $500.00.

What would you pay for these 2 quality pieces?

I went to the Colt Collector's show this past weekend in Louisville, KY and was very "STICKER SHOCKED" at the prices these folks were asking for their pieces, when I asked several of the vendors why things were priced so much higher than book value, I was told at this point for Colt Handguns you can just "throw the book out".

What is your opinion on Colt Prices??

Thanks in advance for any input!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Re: Pricing on Colts

Yes, I was there also. I believe the best way to describe pricing is the fact that the Colt name on a product will help it sell. People there are Colt crazy and will appreciate (meaning pay more)for a Colt product than the average gun show shopper. I believe I seen a viper there for over 1K? Now if someone were to pay that who would you sell it to? Very few gun people know of its rairity and most of the time rairity is because it was not the best seller at the time of production. The viper probably was pulled because of all the manufactures introducing plus P ammo. For a duty gun such as guard duty, I would rank it excellent due to its light weight.
I try to buy items with the thought of selling, even though I seldom sell. At the big gun shows such as national gun day in Louisville, one runs into enough Colt people that one seldom has to explain pricing on Colt items. At the smaller shows it is a different ball game. I have lucked out at the smaller shows (98% python $500).
Something to watch out on Vipers is that Gun Parts was selling barrels for these at very cheap prices a few years ago and it would not be unheard of people putting these on agents or cobras to make them into a rarer gun.
I agree that the book may be slow to trends but that works both ways. If one were to try and sell something above book, you would really narrow the field on potential purchasers. Maybe the best bet on the viper would be to see what response you get from the CCA allowing for the usual diffference between selling and buying. Buying and selling is a game, I try to enjoy and don't take it as life or death. Just my .02. Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Pricing on Colts

Hi Mike:

Thanks for your input, and yes the Viper that I'm speaking of was in Louisville and the gentleman wanted over 1K for it!! I was just surprised.

I have to agree with your post, I for one don't sell many of my finds, they stay in the collection.

We seem to do very well at auctions vs. the shows. I am from Ohio so we travel the state to the different shows, we have found some good deals at the shows, but like I said we have more luck at auction.

BTW: What and when is the National gun day that you mentioned?

Thanks again, Julie

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Re: Oops forgot to state what I would pay

I am a shooter, so the box is something I would have to store. I almost always buy guns that have been shot because I am going to shoot them and maybe alot. Both guns were to be service type guns meant to be used. The viper probably as a guard gun. The lawman (I sold a nickel 4in. Mk3 in 95% for $250 to a friend to get him hooked and to have a shooting buddy) was the last of the breed of 4 in. service revolver. I would pay more for a MK5 but MK3s are still to be found very reasonable. If someone would give you book price then great! The revolver is fading into history as a service weapon and for the short time used police trade-ins keep the market low on service revolvers.
I like both guns and a MK3 or MK5 action is less troublesome (early colt ads called it perma-timing action) than a positive lock so to me it makes a true service type weapon that is designed to be used with little maintenance.
Again on the lawman, I would rather buy a shooter for probably 1/2 the price and yes, they are still out there although one has to look just a little harder. Just my .02 Mike

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Re: Nation Gun Day

That is the name given to the big Louisville,KY Gun Show at the fairgrounds. The next one is in December. Ron Dickerson is the promoter. Funny, I have less luck at auctions than gun shows. It sure seems at auctions people get caught up in "winning the auction" and end up paying way over what one can find for sale but maybe that is just in the So. Indiana area.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I looked at the Viper at the louisville show too. In my opinion the $1,300 price was out of line. I also agree that "Colt Collectors" may be willing to pay more than at a general show. I've been looking for a viper for a long time but just couldn't see spending that much when there were NIB SAA's there for less.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Oops forgot to state what I would pay

[ QUOTE ]
The lawman (I sold a nickel 4in. Mk3 in 95% for $250 to a friend to get him hooked and to have a shooting buddy) was the last of the breed of 4 in. service revolver.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget about the Police Positive Special.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The Blue book does seem to be out of touch with prices on many of the Colt models. Increased exposure to a much larger customer base via internet access has been responsible for much of the price increase. Some of the increase can be attributed to Colt's decision to stop production on many handgun models and sellers are trying to cash in on the lack of new Colt handguns.
Also, the Viper prices started taking off when more people started trying to put together a complete "snake" collection. I live in the boondocks and still know of at least three locals working on finding all the Colt "snakes". The average prices I've seen on Vipers that actually sold recently, have been around 1K for genuine NIB, with the blue version around 900.00 and the nickel 1100.00. Very nice fired samples seem to go around 700.00. I've yet to see enough of the "2nd series" Vipers produced in 1993 to determine if they will show much price variation, as few people know they exist, and some think they are barrel swaps.
The Mark V guns seem to run a little closer to the Blue Book prices, with genuine NIB samples bringing an additional 100.00-200.00. The Boa is an exception in the MK V category with prices going through the roof.
"Everybody" has a story about various Colts selling for less, but "nice", "minty"(whateverthehell that means), "excellent", etc., just ain't the same as a genuine perfect NIB.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's opinions!!! Yes the viper I was speaking of was the one at the KY show and yes the price tag was way too high IMO.

The Lawman was at a local gun show here in Ohio and we purchased that one and I believe we got a good deal.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Hey buckeye count me as one who didn't know there was a second series of vipers. Where can I find more information about them. Do you have a reference?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thanks very much A1A. Now if I could just find one of these beasts.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
OOPS!..First let me correct a typo in my earlier post. The late run of Vipers was in 1993, not 1991.
To my knowledge there is no documented reference beyond my own notes. I purchased one of the late run Vipers in early 1994 and became curious when another one popped up on one of the auction sites and several forum members questioned it's authenticity. Several conversations and E-mails with Kathy Hoyt confirmed the 1993 manufacture dates of the guns in question, including mine. She could find nothing in the records to show why the 1993 guns were produced other than the memory of one long time employee that said it was a "cleanup" of parts that were found left over from the original production run. No clue as to how many were manufactured in the '93 batch. I kept my notes so I could put together a brief article to submit to the CCA "The Rampant Colt" Journal, but procrastination has kept it on the back burner. I was hoping to collect data on other late run Vipers, but none have surfaced lately.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm looking foreward to seeing it in the Rampant Colt some day. I'm also a CCA member and (this will be a shock)I love DFrames.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts