Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt Viper in "Pristine" mint(Unfired, NIB)condition:

1)Desireability of?

2)Popularity of?

3)Value of?

4)Reliability of?

5)Is this a reasonably good Colt revolver, with it's aluminum frame? Any known problems?

6)Is this a fairly good Colt revolver to invest in, or not? If not, why not?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Desirability...HIGH, due to the very limited production, Colt collectors are AFTER this model.

Popularity...Due to the limited time it was made, (less than a year) it never had a chance to build a following.

Value of...HIGH, again due to the active collector interest.

Reliability of...Excellent, since it's just a Colt "D" frame revolver like the Detective Special, Cobra, and Diamondback.
In essence, the Viper is just a Cobra with a 4" barrel.
These small frame Colt revolvers were noted for accuracy and reliability.

Good quality/problems..Excellent quality, no problems. Again, these small Colt's were considered a step above all other small revolvers.

Invest in...Oh HELL, YES. Value is skyrocketing, and in coming years will be even higher.
If this is for sale and you choose not to buy it, you will have several members here demanding to know where it is so THEY can buy it.

If you buy this, DO NOT shoot it, and protect the box and all papers in it with the same care you do the gun.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dfariswheel:

Thanks, for clearly answering my questions about the Colt Viper!

The gun truly is in superb condition! However, the box slip cover is a little bit skinned up but the foam inside box is still in good shape!

I wasn't sure, if the Colt Viper would be considered valuable or not-mostly, because most of the Gun Trader books I have looked at, show fairly low prices for this revolver? Maybe these books just aren't up to date? I do know, that I have never run accross a Colt Viper before! Not in any Gun Shop or, Gun Show! Now, today, I saw one(For the first time)! Believe it or not, here in the State of Kalifornia!

Since you said that the Colt Viper was only made for less than one year, this makes me wonder why some Gun Trader type books, mentioned that this revolver was made between 1977-1984? Did production cease for most of these years-or?

What is your opinion, about the potential value of the Colt Viper, when compared to an equivalent condition, Colt Diamondback?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-12-2004).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In view of the Colt Viper being in demand by Colt "Snake" collectors, I'm wondering why, not too many people have entered any more comments, regarding this revolver, here in this thread? I would like to get some more input(Pro or, Con?)about the "Viper"?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
dfariswheels post covered it well. There's really nothing bad to say about the Viper, other than they are out of production, and the alloy frame is easily dinged. They are far from plentiful, but seem to be available, at least in this neck of the woods. I saw three at the last Hlliard PRO show, two of which have been displayed for several months. Asking prices have been in the +/-575.00 range locally, compared to much higher on the web sites. I paid 350.00 for a NIB Viper approx five years ago. NIB specimens will be scarce, so if you found one, I would advise you keep it NIB. As for desireability, I probably would not have one, except to complete my "snake" collection. The Viper was probably the second most difficult to locate NIB, with the Boa being the most difficult to find NIB.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you have a chance to buy a Viper, BUY IT!

I would think, from what I have seen that prices would outpace Diamondbacks buy at least $100.

As far as reliability, they are as dfaris said as high as any D frame and I doubt any one has ever fired one enough to come up with any known shooting problems, 'cause I suspect they became collectors items from day one especially to the "snake" collectors since they first found out they were only made for one year.

Again, if the price is not absolutely sky high, BUY IT and don't look back.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-13-2004).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as I said, I have a chance to buy a NIB Viper! However, I'm only disappointed in the fact that the brown Colt slip cover(Over the foam box)is not in the best condition! I'm curious just how much this "Inperfect" box would affect the overall value of this Viper? The gun is perfect though!

I just wanted to be certain, that if I were to buy this Viper, that it wouldn't turn out to be not very much in demand or(In other words)a dead item? Although I know that difariswheel, knows what he is talking about-I was surprised that my thread regarding the Viper, hadn't seemed to attract much interest from this forum? And, this gave me the impression that this gun evidently, didn't create very much excitement, in the world of Colt revolver "Enthusiasts"? If this had been an S&W M27, on the S&W Forum-there would have been alot of action regarding this revolver!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-13-2004).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Colt38, some us around here has discussed this very subject several times over, including pictures.

It's not that in this fourum's world of Colt revolver Enthusiasts, are not interested, it's just that some of us have talked this over quite a bit already.

That is why I didn't jump in.

My experience in this matter is similar to what ohiobuckeye said in his last post.

I just wish I had one in nickel.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I didn't jump in because dfariswheel covered all the questions you asked and ohiobuckeye put up the link where we all discussed the same subject.
Even though the box may not be in the best of shape, if the seller isn't asking a scalper's price then please do buy it. You can turn right around and get your money back out of it, or invest a short time period and make a profit. NIB doesn't necessarily mean the box has to be in excellent shape, just that it has the original box as part of the package.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
By the price(s)I've seen on Vipers,it must be due to "snake collectors",among Colt enthusiasts. These prices including the Diamondbacks,exceed those of the rarer Colts that are 25 years or more older. The Courier,Marshall,and rarer versions of the O.P. come quickly to mind. Interesting to me in view of the limited production(3000 Couriers & 2500 Marshalls). Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
majic, lonewolf and the others all gave you good advice.

Although I admit I like to have the original box too, I've heard from more than one source, the saying "I buy the gun not the box." To me the box is a tie breaker in the purchase of a side arm.

After rereading the wording of your posts I question why are you even buying this gun? The reoccurring message is investment and value. It seems to have no particular appeal to you other than it's desirability & potential for financial appreciation. If it's just another pretty gun in great shape with a tattered box, why not let someone else who already appreciates it add it to their collection?

If it holds nothing special other than investment, let one of the Snake Collectors snatch it up. To those folks it means everything. Something to covet, something to chase, and finally something to complete their collection.

So I say if you didn't know if you wanted it before your post, and you are still unsure after reading the advice/opinions the folks have already given you here, then let it go to someone who already has a high appreciation for this gun. Besides, if you think about it too long it will be gone. It may be gone right now!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WS23:

1)I do appreciate your advice, very much(And, of the other Forum members)!

2)Well, I do appreciate special and "Unique" things(Including guns)! I have only begun to try to collect a few good Colt revolvers. And, I admit, that I wasn't sure if the Colt Viper would be a good Colt to collect? So far, I have only obtained 1)A .22 Cal, Diamondback(Four-inch), 2)A four inch Model "357", 3)An Officer's Model Special! I thought that the "Pristine" Viper, could be a nice colt to add to this small Colt collection, next? However, although I knew of this gun, up until now, I hadn't really researched this gun-and, I really was depending upon this Forum, to give me some proper "Insight" about the Viper? I took the liberty, of having the Gun Shop, that has this Viper, to put a "Hold" on it, until this coming Saturday! I had hoped that I would have received plenty of input by then, to aid me in making the right choice, about collecting this Viper? It opened my eyes, when I learned from this Forum, that the Viper, was made less than one year, in 1977! This is a very good thing to be taken into consideration!

3)I wasn't really wanting to possibly buy this Viper, only from a "Profit" standpoint-but, It would sure be nice, should the time come that I wanted to sell it, that a profit(Rather than a loss!)could be made! I do like the Viper-as it is sort of different-and, is not a Colt that is commonly found(At least, I have never found one-until now!)!

4)Since I'm still interested in learning anything else, that might be known about the Viper-I'd appreciate it very much, if anyone can offer any other input, about this gun? I only have a few more days, to learn as much as I can, which will aid me greatly, in making a decision to buy(Or, to not buy)this Viper? This is a wonderful Forum and, it's very helpful, to gain knowledge about Colt's from the various knowledgeable(And, experienced!)Colt Forum Members!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well said Colt38. You have a nice collection of fine Colts and the Viper will be a great addition.

OK, you really need to buy this gun considering everything you have said.

You want the tie breaker for your individual situation? Well here it is:

You are from PRK (Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) as mentioned in one of your posts. As a resident, you have something commonly known as the "Approved List” or more accurately “Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale.” To get a gun on the list to be eligible for sale it must pass a drop test among other things. (I’m sure you know all this already, but not everyone on this forum knows of PUK repressive gun laws. So I explain it for their benefit.)

The Viper is NOT on the PUK approved list. So this means a dealer can not sell you this gun from his stock. As an example, your neighbor has a Viper and needs money. He goes to the local gun store and sells it to the dealer. That gun can NOT be sold in the PUK. It must either stay in the dealer inventory or be sold outside the state.

The only way the gun you saw can change hands in the PUK is via a PPT (Private Party Transfer) or on consignment at a dealers store (which is really a PPT). You can not purchase this gun from a dealers stock in the PUK.

So what do you think your chances of ever seeing that model gun available via a PPT anywhere close to you? Consider the relative scarcity of it as well. Oh yea, it’s NIB! So what are those chances now? Remember you can’t buy one over the internet either since it is not on your approved list it can not be imported into the state!

The way I see it you have one shot at this. You really have no choice but to buy it or you will likely never be able to buy another as long as you live in PUK.

Does that make it easier for you now?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WS23:

1)You are "Precisely" right! It's like a war zone, here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, among gun collectors and enthusiasts-because we are all shopping to obtain only PPT guns-and, the competition here is very keen! And, this is true, for all of the reasons that you have already given! I knew this already-but, I needed to read what you just wrote-to wake me up!

2)I'm going to go down to that Gun Shop tomorrow, and see if I can make a "Reasonable" deal on that Viper? After what you have said, and in rethinking what the other Forum members have said, I don't think that I will be suffering from buyers remorse, upon purchasing the Viper? I always like to be pretty well versed about any particular gun that I buy-but, in this case, I didn't have any more time(After this coming Saturday!)so, I appreciate all of the input from all of you wonderful Colt Forum Members-because, if you guys hadn't have responded so promptly(To my questions!)then I probably would have been "Undecided" and had passed on the opportunity to buy this Viper!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-14-2004).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm now the new owner of that Colt Viper that I have been talking about! It is a done deal!

I was tempted with a few other(NIB)Colt revolvers, whenever I entered the Gun Shop today, to make the Deal on the intended Viper! First, there was a 1964 vintage, Colt Detective Special. Then, there was a Colt Cobra! Lastly, there was a beautiful, 1969 vintage, Colt Python(2-1/2" barrel)! Since I could only afford to fit only one revolver into my budget today, it was very hard for me to make a choice? I would have loved to have had that Python, but, it was too rich for my blood(At this time)! I could have easily chosen, either the 1964 Detective Special-or, the Cobra? However, I felt that(In due time)I could eventually find one of these guns again(Including the Python)! So, in view of the "Probability" that I might not ever get the opportunity, to ever see(Or, to Buy!)another Colt Viper, ever again, I finally stuck with my original plan-and, purchased the Viper, without looking back? I do hope that I made the right decision? What do you fellas think? I did find out, that there were two other people in the Gun Shop this morning, that were trying to buy the Viper I bought, before I had arrived to cinch a deal! I'm lucky, that the Gun Shop personell were honorable(About holding the viper for me!)or else, it would have already been sold!

·
Registered
794 Posts
You already know what I think. You made the right choice without a doubt!

So how much was he asking for the Python snubby and the Dick Spec?

I take it that someone came in with a collection of Colts & put on consignment?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you think you can swing it (that is if it doesn't have one of those house mortage price tags) then look into putting the snubby Python on layaway. You usually don't run up on those to often either.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I second the motion for what both WS23 and Majic just said.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1)Thanks everyone, for the pat on the back!

2)Python(1969)snubbie: This was priced at $950.00!

3)Dick Special(1964): This was priced at $550.00! Another one(A 1967)was priced at $650.00!

4)Other Pythons: There were two more snubbies! One "Blued" and one nickel plated! I did not get the exact year models on these-but, they are both newer than 1969! There was another(Six-inch)"Blued" and one(Four-inch)"Blued", and one "Elite" model Python!

5)Diamondbacks: There were three Diamondbacks(All four-inch)and, one, was a .22 caliber and the other two, were .38's!

6)Colt Model "357": I did also notice a(Six-inch)Colt "357" with original box!

7)It would be a nice idea, if the Gun Shop would lay away that 1969 Python snubbie-however, here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, it is unlikely, that they would do this-as they wouldn't want to have to wait too long, to get their money, since they can sell all the Python's they get, relatively, soon! The same, would be true, for any gun that they have in their shop-as this shop, is not your usual type of Gun Shop! It is instead, a Collectible Gun Shop, that specializes in obtaining the older S&W's and Colt's(Etc.)(That we all, would want, and die for!)! I go there alot(Just to "Drool", sometimes!)! It's my secret hiding place!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-15-2004).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts