Colt Forum banner

Colt Viper: Desireability of, popularity of, and value of?

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
Colt Viper in "Pristine" mint(Unfired, NIB)condition:

1)Desireability of?

2)Popularity of?

3)Value of?

4)Reliability of?

5)Is this a reasonably good Colt revolver, with it's aluminum frame? Any known problems?

6)Is this a fairly good Colt revolver to invest in, or not? If not, why not?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
dfariswheel:

Thanks, for clearly answering my questions about the Colt Viper!

The gun truly is in superb condition! However, the box slip cover is a little bit skinned up but the foam inside box is still in good shape!

I wasn't sure, if the Colt Viper would be considered valuable or not-mostly, because most of the Gun Trader books I have looked at, show fairly low prices for this revolver? Maybe these books just aren't up to date? I do know, that I have never run accross a Colt Viper before! Not in any Gun Shop or, Gun Show! Now, today, I saw one(For the first time)! Believe it or not, here in the State of Kalifornia!

Since you said that the Colt Viper was only made for less than one year, this makes me wonder why some Gun Trader type books, mentioned that this revolver was made between 1977-1984? Did production cease for most of these years-or?

What is your opinion, about the potential value of the Colt Viper, when compared to an equivalent condition, Colt Diamondback?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-12-2004).]

Discussion starter · #5 ·
In view of the Colt Viper being in demand by Colt "Snake" collectors, I'm wondering why, not too many people have entered any more comments, regarding this revolver, here in this thread? I would like to get some more input(Pro or, Con?)about the "Viper"?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Well, as I said, I have a chance to buy a NIB Viper! However, I'm only disappointed in the fact that the brown Colt slip cover(Over the foam box)is not in the best condition! I'm curious just how much this "Inperfect" box would affect the overall value of this Viper? The gun is perfect though!

I just wanted to be certain, that if I were to buy this Viper, that it wouldn't turn out to be not very much in demand or(In other words)a dead item? Although I know that difariswheel, knows what he is talking about-I was surprised that my thread regarding the Viper, hadn't seemed to attract much interest from this forum? And, this gave me the impression that this gun evidently, didn't create very much excitement, in the world of Colt revolver "Enthusiasts"? If this had been an S&W M27, on the S&W Forum-there would have been alot of action regarding this revolver!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-13-2004).]

Discussion starter · #13 ·
WS23:

1)I do appreciate your advice, very much(And, of the other Forum members)!

2)Well, I do appreciate special and "Unique" things(Including guns)! I have only begun to try to collect a few good Colt revolvers. And, I admit, that I wasn't sure if the Colt Viper would be a good Colt to collect? So far, I have only obtained 1)A .22 Cal, Diamondback(Four-inch), 2)A four inch Model "357", 3)An Officer's Model Special! I thought that the "Pristine" Viper, could be a nice colt to add to this small Colt collection, next? However, although I knew of this gun, up until now, I hadn't really researched this gun-and, I really was depending upon this Forum, to give me some proper "Insight" about the Viper? I took the liberty, of having the Gun Shop, that has this Viper, to put a "Hold" on it, until this coming Saturday! I had hoped that I would have received plenty of input by then, to aid me in making the right choice, about collecting this Viper? It opened my eyes, when I learned from this Forum, that the Viper, was made less than one year, in 1977! This is a very good thing to be taken into consideration!

3)I wasn't really wanting to possibly buy this Viper, only from a "Profit" standpoint-but, It would sure be nice, should the time come that I wanted to sell it, that a profit(Rather than a loss!)could be made! I do like the Viper-as it is sort of different-and, is not a Colt that is commonly found(At least, I have never found one-until now!)!

4)Since I'm still interested in learning anything else, that might be known about the Viper-I'd appreciate it very much, if anyone can offer any other input, about this gun? I only have a few more days, to learn as much as I can, which will aid me greatly, in making a decision to buy(Or, to not buy)this Viper? This is a wonderful Forum and, it's very helpful, to gain knowledge about Colt's from the various knowledgeable(And, experienced!)Colt Forum Members!

Discussion starter · #15 ·
WS23:

1)You are "Precisely" right! It's like a war zone, here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, among gun collectors and enthusiasts-because we are all shopping to obtain only PPT guns-and, the competition here is very keen! And, this is true, for all of the reasons that you have already given! I knew this already-but, I needed to read what you just wrote-to wake me up!

2)I'm going to go down to that Gun Shop tomorrow, and see if I can make a "Reasonable" deal on that Viper? After what you have said, and in rethinking what the other Forum members have said, I don't think that I will be suffering from buyers remorse, upon purchasing the Viper? I always like to be pretty well versed about any particular gun that I buy-but, in this case, I didn't have any more time(After this coming Saturday!)so, I appreciate all of the input from all of you wonderful Colt Forum Members-because, if you guys hadn't have responded so promptly(To my questions!)then I probably would have been "Undecided" and had passed on the opportunity to buy this Viper!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-14-2004).]

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I'm now the new owner of that Colt Viper that I have been talking about! It is a done deal!

I was tempted with a few other(NIB)Colt revolvers, whenever I entered the Gun Shop today, to make the Deal on the intended Viper! First, there was a 1964 vintage, Colt Detective Special. Then, there was a Colt Cobra! Lastly, there was a beautiful, 1969 vintage, Colt Python(2-1/2" barrel)! Since I could only afford to fit only one revolver into my budget today, it was very hard for me to make a choice? I would have loved to have had that Python, but, it was too rich for my blood(At this time)! I could have easily chosen, either the 1964 Detective Special-or, the Cobra? However, I felt that(In due time)I could eventually find one of these guns again(Including the Python)! So, in view of the "Probability" that I might not ever get the opportunity, to ever see(Or, to Buy!)another Colt Viper, ever again, I finally stuck with my original plan-and, purchased the Viper, without looking back? I do hope that I made the right decision? What do you fellas think? I did find out, that there were two other people in the Gun Shop this morning, that were trying to buy the Viper I bought, before I had arrived to cinch a deal! I'm lucky, that the Gun Shop personell were honorable(About holding the viper for me!)or else, it would have already been sold!

Discussion starter · #20 ·
1)Thanks everyone, for the pat on the back!

2)Python(1969)snubbie: This was priced at $950.00!

3)Dick Special(1964): This was priced at $550.00! Another one(A 1967)was priced at $650.00!

4)Other Pythons: There were two more snubbies! One "Blued" and one nickel plated! I did not get the exact year models on these-but, they are both newer than 1969! There was another(Six-inch)"Blued" and one(Four-inch)"Blued", and one "Elite" model Python!

5)Diamondbacks: There were three Diamondbacks(All four-inch)and, one, was a .22 caliber and the other two, were .38's!

6)Colt Model "357": I did also notice a(Six-inch)Colt "357" with original box!

7)It would be a nice idea, if the Gun Shop would lay away that 1969 Python snubbie-however, here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, it is unlikely, that they would do this-as they wouldn't want to have to wait too long, to get their money, since they can sell all the Python's they get, relatively, soon! The same, would be true, for any gun that they have in their shop-as this shop, is not your usual type of Gun Shop! It is instead, a Collectible Gun Shop, that specializes in obtaining the older S&W's and Colt's(Etc.)(That we all, would want, and die for!)! I go there alot(Just to "Drool", sometimes!)! It's my secret hiding place!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 10-15-2004).]

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Majic:

1)I'm with you, regarding the Colt Model "357", as I really like my "Engraved" one! Although I have never shot it, I enjoy holding and fondling it!

2)I truly like the "Classic" looks of the Colt "357"! There is just something "Neat about it! I believe mine was made in 1960?

3)I know where there is a Colt "357"(With a six-inch barrel)right now! It has target grips on it! And, is in the original Colt box! I'm partial to my four-inch "357" though!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
WS23:

1)I will give some deep thought, as to whether or not(Or, when?)I might reveal my secret hiding place?

2)You see, my mamma did teach me to share-but, I don't want to act to hastily, in sharing too soon? All of the "Potential" toys(In the toy box)might suddenly, disappear right before my eyes!

3)But yes, my secret hiding place, does sell guns out of State(And, over the internet)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.