Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any one see the Viper for sale on GB? You gotta be kidding me $795.00 !!!. It can't be that rare. I have one in nickle with the box. (see previous posts) Its going with me to the next Gunshow . I am going to try to trade it for a Python . Who would of thought the Viper could command such a price.

·
Registered
794 Posts
acre5, I agree the Viper should not command such prices. And I don't want to go into the discussion of supply and demand and its effects on prices. Every one here has already taken that course. I doubt you will be able to trade it straight across for a Python in high condition.

My opinion for the high prices of this specific gun is simple. There are many hobbyists (collectors) who have embarked on a "Snake Collection." The Viper is perhaps one of the more difficult holes to fill. So the guys who seek a so called "Snake Collection" are not complete without the Viper and are willing to pay above their value to fill this hole.

My question for the snake collectors is if they are willing to pay so much for the Viper, what are they willing to pay for the elusive Boa? The last one I saw at a gunshow had an asking price $1200!!! So add that one (along with your Viper) to your hard to believe file.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There ya go! See that, the price has jumped $300 since this morning.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I may miss some here, but in alphabetical order:

Anaconda------1990 to present.
Boa-------------1985 only.
Cobra-----------1950 to 1981.
Diamondback-1966 to 1986.
King Cobra----1987 to 1998.
Python---------1955 to present.
Viper-----------1977 only.

Of course there were variations of some of these guns, especially the Python, but that is the basic "snake collection".

What did I miss guys?

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 07-06-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have seen exactly one Viper locally and that was at a gunshow. As I was caught up in our 30 day law the out of state dealer wasn't willing to work with me.
Being a one year production handgun they will command a premium. Just look at the prices for nickeled .22lr Diamondbacks w/6" barrels.
I once saw a cased set of Boas (4 and 6 inchers) for $2800. Way to rich for my blood.
I'm one of those "snake collectors" and have probably missed my best shot at the Viper. The few Boas I see pop up on the web always comes up when all my pennies aren't together.
One day when the planets are aligned just right, the moon is full, the tide is perfect, and the Devil places an order for an overcoat I will have all the "Snakes".

I might as well start a collection of the Colt bruins, but with my luck I'll never see another Kodiak or Grizzly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes DB68 you did miss at least a couple. Of the significant variations, don't forget the "Combat Cobra" and the "Cobra CCL."

The others were mostly variations of the Python i.e. Hunter, Silhouette, 38 Spec etc.

Good luck Majic on the Bear Collection. Only take 2 to complete! However, you are keenly aware that they didn't make too many of those either.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I also agree that the Viper should not command such high prices, BUT THEY DO. They were only made for one year in 1977 and are interspersed with the Police Positive Special and the Detective Special for a total of 52,500 guns of which I would bet a very small percentage of them were made as Vipers. I've seen exactly one in the last 15 years.
The Boa being even more scarce, had a total of probably less than 700 each of 4" and 6" barrels ever made in 1985. I would venture to say that in a very few short years, you will never see another Boa up for sale again in your lifetime unless someone breaks up grandpa's collection.

acre5, unless you really need the money, I would hold onto that Viper, it's better than money in the bank.
Just my HO.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments. I guess if they named the Magnum Carry "Copperhead" or "Hognose" they would skyrocket also.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
WS23
Yes I am aware of those but again they are just variations of the Cobra just as there are variations of the Anaconda and the Python. The only reason I listed the Cobra and the King Cobra is because they are two different "snakes". Usually "snake collectors" don't strive to obtain a copy of every single variation and barrel length, only us dumb Diamondback collectors.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
diamonback68,
That brings up a couple of interesting questions. How many Diamondbacks are in your pit, and do you have a group photo of them that you would consider sharing with us?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
beaverislander, I currently have nine, but two are duplicates. The duplicates are nice, but these are all 99%+ guns This is a picture of seven different ones.

Top to bottom:
2 1/2" blue 38,
4" blue 38,
6" blue 38,
4" blue 22,
6" blue 22,
Right 4" nickel 38,
Left 6" nickel 22.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 07-07-2004).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
diamonback68,
That is one nice group of Diamondbacks! Thanks for posting the pic, it lightened my day.
--------------------------------------------
acre5,
Sorry to have gotten off track on your thread, but I have often wondered what this pic would look like, and the time seemed appropriate to aske db68 for it.

[This message has been edited by beaverislander (edited 07-07-2004).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beaverislander, Not a problem , I always like to see and share pics of Colts! Revolvers or pistols . I wish everone would post a pic of their faverite Colt .

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Couldve(and SHOULDVE!!!)bought a Viper,no box,98%,for $200.00 around 1988-89 at a gun shop! But it was "too new" for me(just pre-1960s,mostly N.Services & E Frames-back then).Knew the gun was "rare",but didnt consider it "collectible". I still think that price for the Viper is WAY TOO HIGH. Its more than Marshalls & Couriers go for,which are older and considered 2 of the more collectible post war D.A.s. That said,If someone specialized in collecting "newer D.A. Colts",the Viper would be one of the "holy grails". I think some of the last D Frame snubs,such as the Agent and the Commando Special,are going to be "sleepers" in the future. There may be a misconception on the part of some gun enthusiasts(and dealers!!!) that Colt is TOTALLY out of business-and that ANY Colt has escalated in price. Bud

1 - 17 of 17 Posts