Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a colt viper at the gun show sunday, it was one of the last two snakes that I did not have one of, the last now being the BOA.
the guns metal is easy 98%, but grips are rough, and i would like some suggestions on where to pick up a correct set to replace with, I have not ever truly noticed any at the shows but i had not looked untill sunday, I want to keep it original and not go with the black plastic, as i want it to appear presentable in a display with my other snakes,whereas this is an allow frame does it have a special frame desination and if so what is it called?
Where would you recomend thet i might seek a set of new replacements of the right size and fit?
thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
Potlicker:

I have seen these on Ebay several times! You can make a search under Colt Diamondback and you will find these exact grips as used on the Viper, new in the package! You will recognize them immediately!

Would you mind telling me, how much you paid for your Viper? I also own a Viper! If you'd like to Email me privately, I'd appreciate your doing so? You can reach me at: [email protected]

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 03-08-2005).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Congrats potlicker, great find!

Thanks to this wonderful forum, I'm now "snakebitten" and on a search for the one gun to complete my snake collection: a Viper. I was close to getting one recently but the seller copped out at the last minute

I'll get to the promised land eventually...

Search ebay, GB and AA (there maybe some others) and you'll find a nice set of replacement stocks.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The Viper is the exact same gun as a Police Positive Special (minus the alloy frame), so those stocks would fit your gun, too. Just look for the same timeframe (1977 or so).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Blokey:

What was the seller(That copped out!)asking for his Viper?

Here is a picture of my Colt Viper:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bushwackers advice is absolutely correct.

However, I do want to point out that most of the stocks on e-bay are not the correct stocks. Those are being advertised as Diamondback and Detective Special stocks are not the proper length for the Viper or Police Positive Special for 1977.

Take careful notice of the position of the screw relative to the bottom of the stocks on your PPS. Now look at the incorrect stocks being offered on e-bay and notice the screw appears closer to the bottom. This is because the e-bay stocks are shorter.

They are nice stocks, brand new, very pretty, and absolutely wrong for you gun.

·
Registered
807 Posts
WS23:

Thanks for correcting my mistake, regarding my suggesting the stocks on Ebay-as I should have looked at them more closely, to have revealed that the grip screw was positioned too close to the bottom of those stocks, making them too short to fit the Viper or the PPS! This was definately, an error on my part! I better start taking my Viper out of the safe more often(And, inspect it more closely!)so I can recall what my Viper really looks like? I'm getting old(I guess)and, I'm not as sharp, as I used to be! Very evident here!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Colt38, you were correct that they will fit! They fit nice and look good. It's just that they are not the same. I didn't so much want to correct you as to ensure potlicker wasn't off on a quest only to realize later that he followed the wrong lead and got the wrong thing. I could have misunderstood, but I though he wanted "right size and fit?."

That is no real fault of yours so don't be hard on yourself. How were you supposed to know? The easiest way to really know or gain this type of info is to have the two guns side by side for a stare and compare.

I am fortunate enough to be in such a position.
Besides, if it makes you feel any better, I made the same mistake many years ago. And we all are getting older with you.

I noticed you are now sporting a box with your Viper. Did you finally get the original from the dealer or did you just purchase a period correct box and manual? From what I can see the manual looks like it could be a 1979. But you were careful not to give us the full view, you sneaky devil! Your gun was DOM 1977 if I recall.

·
Registered
807 Posts
WS23:

Thanks, but you were right, to set the record straight, regarding the correct fitting grips for the Viper! You helped me in realizing my mistake-so I will also know exactly which stocks to look for, should I ever want to purchase these exact stocks at some future time?

No, the box in the picture isn't the correct one for the Viper! I had been hoping that my Gun Dealer who sold me the Viper, was eventually going to come through with the correct Viper box for me-but, this never happened? So, I'm going to have to start looking for one? If you come across one of the correct boxes, let me know? Yes, the manual is dated 1979-and, this is as close as I could come to the correct(1977)date! The Gun Dealer said that he will trade me a 1977 Viper manual, once he eventually gets one, for my 1979 manual? I'm still waiting, though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
Potlicker:

I have seen these on Ebay several times! You can make a search under Colt Diamondback and you will find these exact grips as used on the Viper, new in the package! You will recognize them immediately!

Would you mind telling me, how much you paid for your Viper? I also own a Viper! If you'd like to Email me privately, I'd appreciate your doing so? You can reach me at: [email protected]

Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would you mind telling me, how much you paid for your Viper?

i paid $150.00, to a person that came thru the door, with it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sorry Colt38 for not responding sooner, they block "offensive" (firearms, weapons) sites from the computers at work

Man, I have to learn to read posts before I respond!!! The seller was asking $950 for a NIB nickel Viper.

OK, call me crazy for offering to buy it for that price but that's what I wanted and I would have paid that much (or more) for it.

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 03-09-2005).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Blokey:

I have seen even the "Blued" Colt Vipers listed for up to $1,100! So, that nickel Viper was a good price(Based upon this)! I might put my Viper up for sale one of these days?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Blokey:

Yes, I'll let you know whenever I'm ready to sell my mint Colt Viper! If I were to get a pretty good offer, then I might sell it sooner rather than later?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Muley Gil:
Thief, Thief!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

muley i never price the other guys gun, it is up to them to tell me what they want. i did not offer him less than he asked, I simply paid him what he asked for it. he had just offered it to a dealer (junk gun's,lorcin and such) who said he would give him $125.00, and after he stepped from the table I asked him if my money was green enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts