Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of both the Colt and the S&W forums, I noticed that there are significantly more thread/posts/members on the S&W forum than on the Colt forum and was wondering why. :confused:
To me Colt is better know to non-gun people, especially when talking the Old West, while to me at the same time Colt and S&W are synonymous with quality, Colt seems to hold its value better than a Smith (due to it's name recognition?)

Are there just less people interested in talking Colt? :bang_wall:

the Smith forum has 173,000 threads with 1.7 million posts and 96,800 members (10,000 active members)

I was just wondering since I love both Smiths and Colt's and have a large collection of Boston Police guns about equally divided between Colt and Smith ;)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I would hazard a guess (am a member of both forums). S&W still is a much larger entity and manufacturers current revolvers for the public. Colt lapsed in that arena and most members here are collectors and accumulators of fine old Colts (and S&W's and Merwin Hulbert and Webleys, etc) :) This forum has grown substantially over the past 2 years but grown it has. Most threads are collector, gunsmith and "what do you think this bad boy is worth?" or auction finds and sharing of such. Just my observation in the year+ as a member :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I do not own any smiths, but they are on my radar. I DREAM about thier 586 L comp.....even more than I dream about a python. I guess I will join when a smith comes home with me.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'm a member of both, but spend most of my time here. (Probably to much of my time) I have a few Smiths, but Colts are my passion. The Smith forum also has a Collectors only area and as posted above, they are still making them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am a member of both and own both, but I would venture to say that S&W owners outnumber Colt owners ten to one easily. JMHO :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am also a member of both forums, but over the last 6 months or so I no longer visit the S&W forum. I am on dial-up and the pages at S&W are so full of adds it takes ages for the topics to appear, then when you hit a topic to view another heap of adds start coming in, just wasting my on air time. I know I live in a communications backwater with no mobile phone coverage etc but its too much time wasting. I have to get my TV off a satellite service, installation costs only, no monthly fees. So one day I may go back and have a look at S&W forum and see if its any quicker, but am not holding my breath.

I own a number of S&W revolvers and wouldnt be without them. Love my Colts as well. My S&W psydo is Ballarat.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I know I live in a communications backwater with no mobile phone coverage etc
Does Australia have HughesNet? I too live in a communication challenged area and had to switch cell phone carriers to get a decent signal. Our option for internet is satellite or modem and HughesNet service, while not T1 or DSL, is certainly much better than reading the phonebook while waiting for a internet page to load ;)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
One thing I notice about the Smith Vs. Colt is the classifieds section. Every post over there has 1000 views and 9 posts in it. It is clear to see why the moderators crackdown as much as they do here. It is a chore to determine if the gun is still available or not and which of the posts are new vs. old listings with new responses. Colt Forum is much more streamlined in that respect.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gday MtnSpur, no we have nothing like that. We can apply for a sat broadband service, but users in my area report poor speed and frequent drop-outs so will not go that route. Its likely that within the next 2 years we will be hooked-up to the mega high speed national broadband rollout thats happening across Australia, but in the meantime its a waiting game. Have put up with it for 6 years now, so another couple is not going to hurt too much I guess. But at least this forum comes in extremely quickly compared to the S&W site. Probably saving me money to buy more old Colts at this time!!

Rgds
Bob

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
It might just be simple math: much more S&W firearms have been made lately than Colt. Even though the DA revolver is about dead in LEO circles, other companies appear to still sell them well enough to actually intoduce new models.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Actually, the Colt collectors are split up between several forums whereas almost all the S&W collectors visit one forum. For example, there isn't a lot of activity here about M1911, M1911A1 and pre-war Government Models. There are three other very active forums for those pistols.

Regards,
Kevin Williams

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I wouldn't know, after being on the S&W forum for around a year, my password no longer worked because I have a nonapproved G mail E mail, how mature. S&W Forum, you can keep it

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I am a member to both sites too. It must be a lot of different reasons added together. First there is a ton of smiths out there for every colt. There is a lot of posts over there of people wanting to know what they have just bought or inherited etc. The biggest differance that I notice is the varity of subjects in the lounge and a lot of them doesnt have much to do with guns. Thats not bad. I dont know the history of how long each site has been on the net.
On the smith site the owner forbids talk on politics. Yet somehow a lot does slip through. Actualy, I like it. I dont see much of it here and thats odd, as I havent noticed it being forbidden. The other site seems to have tons of ad`s. Since they started that it seems my computer has got some sort of virus where I can hardly navigate the site. Probley just a conincidence. I also notice the difference and have been wondering why too. I am also a member on the levergunner site. There they have a political section. I like that. I could be wrong, but I suspect the reason they dont want politics disgussed is they dont want to PO any advertisers or potential advertisers.
I dont have the slightest idea what it costs to run one of these sites or why someone would want to own one if it didnt pay off for the probley work involved in haveing one. I havent noticed pleas for donations here or on levergunners like I do on the smith site. In all fairness, it seems that regular members do the soliceiting for the owner. Yet they have a huge number of ad`s that colt and levergunner doesnt use and yet you dont see any donation pleas on their behaff. I have wondered a lot about that.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
S&W Form has a lot more members...

Go to any Gun Show and there will be a lot more S&Ws than Colt...

More S&Ws in use than Colts...

More people have S&Ws than Colts...

So...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to agree that the ads on the Smith site are distracting. Also that Smith having lots of current production guns, a vast number of the posts are about current guns.

I just bought 2 "new" Colt Police Positives, both BPD marked, one a first series with the 1905 patent date and the other a second series with the 1926 patent date. Now I have to get them lettered to see if they are indeed Boston Police.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've met some cool and really helpful people on the S&W forum. Great resource for all things Smith.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am a member of both sites and I own more Smith & Wessons than I do Colts. I do tend to hang out here more often as it appears to me the conversations seem more focused to collecting/accumulating, the history of Colt, some cowboy/old west topics, and of course assisting people in finding out what model/year Colt they have bought/inherited. Over the last few months the bulk of conversations at the S&W forum hover over "what if " shooting scenarios, "Will my gun be confiscated if I shoot someone?" scenarios, their line of plastic guns and the lock. It just got tiring filtering through all them posts.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Kind of like Ford and Chevrolet, just depends on which one you like to drive. They both supply satisfaction to the owner, and I suppose that is what it is all about.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts