Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
Due to the fact that a lot of these have been counterfeited with varying success, you need a genuine expert to evaluate the gun.
Some counterfeits are nothing more then antiqued Italian replicas, some are so well done it takes a real expert to determine whether it's a fake or the real thing.
Over the years, a LOT of fakes have appeared, and some are extremely well done.
Because of the value of an original, this is at the level of faked paintings by the Masters.

Point is, due to the extreme potential value, which can range up to over $1,000,000 with a bare minimum of over $150,000, an experts services are required to authenticate and assign a value.

My first stop would be to contact the Colt Collectors Association to ask their help in finding an expert.

Home Page - Colt Collectors Association

Other sources of finding a genuine expert, are the big auction houses that sell extreme high end firearms.
Examples are Sotheby's, Rock Island, Christy's, etc.

Another possible way is to ask your insurance agent about an appraiser. Most bigger insurance companies have access to real experts on various valuable items to help in insuring them for the proper amount.

The key point is, due to the potential value, you need a real very high level expert to actually look at this gun to determine if it's the real thing, and to assign a valid value.
Posting this on a internet forum is not an effective method any more then posting pictures of a possible Rembrandt painting on a forum will tell you anything of value.
This is something that has to be physically examined by a reputable expert who will spend some time inspecting it under virtual laboratory conditions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The barrel rollmark on the gun in the photos is not correct for an original Walker. A simple search will yield photos of what the correct rollmark is. I direct your attention to the spacing between "New" and "York".

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMHO this item needs a serious detailed inspection by an expert as mentioned earlier. Civilian sn 1081 is not in my references as a currently known existing Walker. If the screws are metric it is not real and is based on an Italian repro, but I wouldnt want to be responsible for buggering a screw if it were an original. That said the modern 2nd and I think 3rd gen Walkers had non metric screws. At the Parade of Walkers back in the day, a lot of suspected Walkers were brought in and inspected by experts. Not many were genuine.
Good luck and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree with the respondant who wrote that you need to have the gun-not photos-examined by a recognized expert. My first suggestion would be John Gangel of Little John's Auction Service in Orange, CA. or Herb Glass, Jr. in Bullville, N.Y. It will cost you a few bucks, but their assessment of the gun will be spot on amd recognized throughout the gun collecting community. There are other Walker experts out there, but these two are the top.
The real danger in appraising a Colt Walker is not in recognizing an outright fraudulant gun, but one that is a mixture of original and reproduction parts. There are several such fraudulent pieces out there, much to the distress of their owners. That is why it is of paramount importance that you have the gun examined by someone in the trade who everyone respects.
I think I know because I own a genuine Walker. I purchased mine from the TGCA Parade of Walkers show a few years ago. The sale was brokered by the late Robin Rapley. Please feel free to contact me privately.

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
An internet forum seems a strange place to bring an exceedingly rare and desirable antique revolver for authentication. Could this be testing the waters for anything obvious before it goes to an expert to be validated.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
An internet forum seems a strange place to bring an exceedingly rare and desirable antique revolver for authentication. Could this be testing the waters for anything obvious before it goes to an expert to be validated.
I didn't know we were authenticating the gun. I presumed the owner had already done that. The poster was just idly pointing out the stuff he was aware of.

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
I didn't know we were authenticating the gun. I presumed the owner had already done that. The poster was just idly pointing out the stuff he was aware of.
The title was Colt Walker real or fake.

"This is a link to our drop box with pics of a "real" Colt Walker Civilian that belongs to one of our clients. We are trying to authenticate it. What do you think?"

The post did say "we are trying to authenticate it", and also "What do you think".

What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I don't know if this helps matters or not, but...

I am not saying this Walker may not be original, and it very may well be, but here is what I know...as this very gun was offered for sale to me two or three years ago for $65,000. There are too many variables here...so I did not exactly reach for my wallet. It was purchased by the man who offered this firearm to me at a flea market in Saylorsburg, PA in the early 1980's, maybe it was 1982. I cannot recall what the seller paid for it, or if he even told me what he paid for it. He offered it for sale at an auction house at some point after he bought it and before it was offered to me for sale. He said he got mad at the auctioneer and pulled it from the sale before it was offered for sale. I do not know the auction house or the auctioneer. Something about his story made it seem suspect, such as the fact that the auctioneer had his doubts. That alone made me pass on this one, although I might have missed the bargain of the century. The owner said he was offering it to me for $60,000, as he had come down over the years from an original 6-figure price he had on it. I saw the seller at the Saylorsburg flea market a year or so after he offered it to me for sale and showed it to me at that flea market, and I asked if he still had the gun. He said that he had finally sold it and he got $12,000 for it. A VERY odd price! Either the biggest bargain of this century or last...or the most overpriced fake out there.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
As further proof of my claim:

Check out post 73 below:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/70696-colt-investing-question-8.html

I write about looking at Colt Walker 1081. This is, without a doubt the firearm before you today.

I wrote about it BEFORE this was addressed by the original poster.

The original poster is in Kingston, PA, about an hour from where the seller offered it to me for sale at the Saylorsburg Flea Market.

Just the facts. Not saying it isn't real, but...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.