Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RC: I don't have any recent experience with Colt's repair efforts to report. I do have a pal who sent a '60s Government Model back a couple of years ago with an ejection problem. It was repaired quickly and correctly and my pal shoots it with no problem now. As far as factory guys appearing on Forums like this, S+W historian Roy Jinks has in fact appeared on the companion S+W Forum on occasion in the past. However, I think that Roy pretty much confines his web 'appearances' to the private SWCA site on YahooGroups. He posts there on a daily basis and is readily accessible to SWCA members. (He answered a question for me by email on Monday of this week that saved me from buying a bogus K-38.) I have also seen a S+W factory guy posting on the S+W companion site, in reference to the .500 revolver. I have never seen a Colt guy on the web. From a practical standpoint it must be realized that there is literally no profit for a firearms manufacturer having employees on the web answering questions about old guns. New guns are different because someone might actually buy one and generate some profit. The most expensive part of any business is usually personnel. From the manufacturer's standpoint, there is little to be gained by having an employee (usually a union employee) spending time on the Web. Sad but true. Charlie

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a Python that I want to send in to have refurbished but I'd sure like to hear from someone that has done so.

I can have it done locally but would it be on par with what Colt would do for me?

I agree that you never hear anyone say anything first hand about Colt's service.

Joed

·
Registered
265 Posts
rcwambold,

I've had a Colt Magnum Carry since 1998, when I bought it new. It never shot as well as my Smith 649. Instead of a group, it shot a pattern. It wasn't just me as other shooters had the same problem.

In February, 2003, I wrote a letter to Colt and explained the problem I had with it. I told them that the 649 shot better than the Colt. I received a very prompt reply which told me to send it in & it would be fixed.

I shipped it and got a phone call from Colt the day it arrived. A few days later, I received a letter acknowledging receipt of the gun. Within a week, I got another call requesting authorization for repair and arranged for payment. I was told it would be ready in 35 days.

Thirty five days later, the gun was delivered. It now shoots about the same as the Smith.

I had to pay for shipping and some polishing that I had requested. There was no charge for re-doing the crown and smoothing the action.

Overall, I was satisfied with the service and am now satisfied with the gun.

It was a complete turn around from my previous contact with Colt in `85.

It would have been nice if they had split the shipping costs, but they are suffering financially, so I can't really complain.

This experience restored my faith in the company and I'd buy their products again if they produced something that I am interested in. I wish their product line had more depth. I have no interest in 1911's, AR-15's, or stainless Pythons. I can't afford a Peacemaker and really have no use for one,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 11-29-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
There IS a Colt employee that posts online.

He infrequently posts on the 1911 forum. http://www.1911forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26

His ID is "Mark1648" He may post here too, but I don't recall seeing him here.

Lets put a few dogs to bed:

1. ALL Colt pistols are made in America.
Colt occasionally had guns made overseas, but NOT their main guns like revolvers and the 1911 pistols.
Colt had a .25 auto, and the black powder models produced overseas, assembled and finished here. There were a few others over the years.

This business of the Italian produced black powder revolvers has mutated into everything being made in China from sand mold castings.

2. ALL Colt handguns are made from forged and milled main parts.
There are NO cast frames.

It's no secret Colt is struggling.
After the Colt Industries corporation yo yo presidents, the now you see it-now you don't product line, the devastating strike, and the bankruptcy wars, Colt was left in sad shape.

All the old skilled people were gone, and it takes years to develop that kind of talent and skills.
On top of this, Colt is strapped for operating cash.
They'd like to offer new models and other revolvers, but they're operating on a knife edge.
Introduce the WRONG item, and it fails to sell well, Colt could be pushed over the edge.

They're trying. Give them time, and buy a new Colt to help out.

Another "dog story".
NO, Remington 870 Express shotguns aren't being made with cast receivers either.
All Remington shotgun receivers come from the same forging operation, and are milled from the block.

I heard this canard this week at a local gun store. The "expert" was angrily informing everyone about these cheesy cast frames Remington was turning out.

No doubt the cast frames are also being produced in Outer Mongolia, (or maybe on Mars).

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 11-28-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Gentlemen: There've been several threads dealing with sending guns to the Colt factory for service and varied opinions about doing so. Can someone lay this to rest? Has anyone among us done so RECENTLY!? Like, in the last year? We've got descriptions of Super Good to crappy attitude and only current stuff to anything to anything supplied with parts. FWW, I, for one, will state flat out, if there was a company with my name on it, I'd want to do the best repairs in the world or quit the business - totally. (Damn, Sam ... why don't we just ad Colt to the Hammond, Bethlehem Steel, Mack Truck, Packard/Studebaker/Stetson list of magnificent American anachronsims!) In fact, doesn't it strike anyone else as super strange that no one ever appears on these pages as a Colt representative? By golly, if there was a Wambold gun company I'd make my presense WELL KNOWN in these pages. Or at least, have someone do it for me. I've read about, "maybe's," and, "we think," this guy or that who appears, "now and then," MIGHT work for Colt. Well, I've never seen a thread signed Roy Jinks on the S&W pages and no Sam Colt authorized spokesperson here, either. I think they're ALL made by japs in somebodys sweatshop in Korea or China and we get a buggy ride whenever we buy anything but a Ruger.(And I'm not in love with them, either.) I've about had it with Colt. I don't want to collect antiques and I'm failing to see the beauty of only buying guns older than I am in order to get a good one. (Signed, disgruntled in Kansas.) Talk to me. Over?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The most recent work done, for me, by the Colt shop, was returned less than a week ago. I had the timing adjusted on a Trooper Mark V and had it renickeled, and it was absolutely perfect. A few months ago, I had them fit a new trigger, rebound lever, and hand to an OMM that had been converted to a short cylinder, wadcutter only, target revolver, and had them reblue it. I had to locate, and supply, the obsolete parts, but again, they did a magnificent job. They even assisted me with a list of suppliers for obsolete used and NOS Colt parts. Prior to that, I have had Pythons, and Diamondbacks refurbished, by Colt, and have never been disappointed, but I have been amazed, by the magic they were able to work on a couple of pieces they did for me. I have never experienced anything but the most courteous treatment by Colt employees, very good turnaround time, and absolutely beautiful work. As someone said earlier, the small shops may show a good example, but consistent quality is difficult to maintain. The polish job determines 98% of the final blue results, and Colt has the master craftsmen to do consistently fine work. I have nothing but admiration for Colts customer service, and the work they have done for me, over the last 20 years. The prices are reasonable, and the results are great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had to send my det spec back to colt after they changed out the cylinder.they paid for shipping both ways on the return and smothed her up.no charge to me but the first time i sent it.not bad concidering i bulged a chamber with a hot reload from a friend of a freind!
as far as im concerned,this sort of sevice,(5 or 6 years down the road)is unheard of in any other industry but the gun industry.can you imagine asking a ford or chevy dealer to fix a blown engine on a 5 year old car that you never changed the oil on.oh yes and i want it at no charge!say what?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had repair work done over the years by the Colt Factory. I have never been displeased by their work. In the case of a OP I returnerd for timing problems. They not only fixed the problem but it now has a better action than Pythons. Given the explanations cited above about their financial circumstances I can understand why they no longer service all their previously made revolvers. I do not understand however, why they do not relocate the company to a lower cost area to save money. So many corporations have moved south or west and have benefitted from lower labor costs as well as lower costs for plants. I don't see how they can continue to compete against businesses that have a lower cost per unit/product structure. In fact we may be seeing a company in its final death throes unless somebody buys and relocates it. Another American institution will bite the dust. A real shame as it made in my opinion the finest of firearms once upon a time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
I do not understand however, why they do not relocate the company to a lower cost area to save money. So many corporations have moved south or west and have benefitted from lower labor costs as well as lower costs for plants. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I moved from the midwest to NW FL 5 years ago, I don't buy the lower cost other then wages. Everything here is more expensive then what it was back in OH, I think a lot of companies are finding that out.

Joed

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
joed said it, material cost, fuel, lumber etc. (or cost to run a plant) are about the same or higher here due to transportation costs. About the only savings is unskilled labor, in general, because they have few to no unions down here. I doubt if unskilled, non union labor, would be able to run a highly artistic plant like Colt.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
24 Posts
As dfariswheel stated, Mark 1648 posts on the 1911 forum. Last spring I purchased a NIB SAA that started to burn off the nickel on the face of the cylinder after only a couple hundred rounds. Even though it is a 1911 forum, I posted a waranty question to Mark, and he replied promptly and stated that Colt no longer does nickel because of the EPA and the problems with peeling recently. They now send it out of house. He also said that if I contacted customer service, they would take care of me. Well, I sent my gun to Colt, and they recieved it on 11/11. They sent a letter stating it would be repaired at no cost, and returned by 12/11. So far no gun, but I am happy that they stand behind their product and have a courteous employee on a forum. I am sure I will get it back by the appointed date, and that it will be a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
I do not understand however, why they do not relocate the company to a lower cost area to save money. So many corporations have moved south or west and have benefitted from lower labor costs as well as lower costs for plants. I don't see how they can continue to compete against businesses that have a lower cost per unit/product structure. In fact we may be seeing a company in its final death throes unless somebody buys and relocates it. Another American institution will bite the dust. A real shame as it made in my opinion the finest of firearms once upon a time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A couple of thoughts come to mind on this.

The first is that while a company can move and achieve lower operating costs the respite is merely temporary. RCA has proven this in multiple moves from Camden NJ, to Bloomigton IN, Memphis TN, and finally Ciudad Juarez Mexico. At each location the company had to build facilities and more importantly train the workers. In the case of each US facility it wasn't long before labor unrest caused problems. In the case of Memphis it took less than five years before the plant had to be closed. I think that by the time they got to Mexico the lesson that you can't run away from labor costs sank in.

More specifically to Colt, the last 40 years have proven the it is the employees and their skill that is most important. The manufacture of quality firearms of the type that Colt produces just cannot be done effectively with unskilled labor. So unless you were able to get every employee to pick up and move to the new location there would be a loss of the skilled labor pool with a probable increase in warranty repairs followed by a loss of sales due to poor word-of-mouth. These things could easily offset any reduction of up-front costs resulting fromt the move.

Besides, I understand that Colt accepted some money from the State during the height of the storm and part of the agreement is that they stay in Hartford so they can't move even if they wanted to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
smith and wesson are up north (north east)they seem to be doing better.as stated above running away from labor costs lead to "well right now they fleeing mexico and the hot spot is china.were to from there?the moon?
make a great product(in this case re make)and they will beat down the door to buy it.thats the lesson lerned or should be.
they are making great products right now.better than ever except maby in the finishing dept ie.blueing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Colt's Customer Service has always taken care of me! My Magnum Carry went "OUT OF TIME" after tens of thousands of rounds. I sent it in thinking No Big Deal, I'll pay what ever it costs! I sent it in on a Fri. Next Day FedEx. One week it was back at my door, NO CHARGE. It was clean, and even looks like the finish had been Jazzed up. GREAT SERVICE!

And Paul Zamsky in the Custom Shop always takes care of me, weather its custom tunning or a High Polish Job on a stainless 1911, I get Fantastic Service. Great Customer Care!

·
Registered
535 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCollector1911:
Colt's Customer Service has always taken care of me! My Magnum Carry went "OUT OF TIME" after tens of thousands of rounds. I sent it in thinking No Big Deal, I'll pay what ever it costs! I sent it in on a Fri. Next Day FedEx. One week it was back at my door, NO CHARGE. It was clean, and even looks like the finish had been Jazzed up. GREAT SERVICE!

And Paul Zamsky in the Custom Shop always takes care of me, weather its custom tunning or a High Polish Job on a stainless 1911, I get Fantastic Service. Great Customer Care!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Scamper,
I may have misread your post, but S&W doors are holding firm and not being beaten down. The used market for their products is strong, but the new market has fallen off as they have lost customers due to politics, internal locks, and their limited finishes offered. There's even talk of S&W's stock slipping in the market. With the overall handgun market today being semi-auto driven, S&W doesn't even come close to the leaders. They have joined the others by jumping on the bandwagon replicating a Colt and have gone in partnership with another manufactor (Walther) to try to boost their sagging pistol market

1 - 16 of 16 Posts