Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, if anything can be done to fit Colts plastic grips to the handgun of the late forties and early fifties. If they have to be replaced, is there a source.??? Police positives and etc. Thanks..........

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Steve,I am assuming you mean the factory "Coltwood" all reddish brown color,including the "medallion" and is the fit problem near the top where it fits into frame indentation? Sandpaper & files,or a Dremel,and trial & refit! This can be a common problem. After they fit the best you can get, a bit of rubbing compound & elbow grease will remove the roughness from the plastic. DONT overtighten the screw,or they can warp and/or crack (so can the "real" wooden ones by doing this). Franzite and maybe Fitz,made some "replacement" plastic grips for Colts,complete with silver colored medalions in the late 50s also,so if you want true replacements,make sure you see a photo pf the grips that you are buying,as eBay has had quite a few up for auction. Ironically,these plastic grips couldnt be given away 15-20 years ago,and Gun Parts(Numrich)was selling the originals for a few bucks. Then as postwar Colts started becoming collectible,many collectors started looking for the original grips that many first owners had tossed out.Good luck. Bud

·
Registered
81 Posts
Grips shrinkage is particularly notorious with the Franzite grips. I recently bought a pair for a Colt New Service and they were so shrunken that I couldn't even use them. This is the third time that this has happened to me with Franzite grips. I have also read other places that shrinkage is common with Franzites. I recommend passing on them, no matter how cheap they are.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ditto on the Franzite New Services & shrinkage(but seller noted this on the auction),but with a little "fitting",they fit one of my "O.P"size frames fime & the fatter size & stag "effect" help control the recoil!(It is a 4" ".357 Magnum"). The Coltwood ones that I had to fit,were on a 1951 vintage .22 Official Police,that were too big to properly seat at the top of the grip. Bud

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
May I know where rcwambold throws away the original plastic stocks (on a Colt forum, we at least ought to use the correct nomenclature - Colt called them "stocks," not "grips") that are so hard to find in usable condition? I may have found my key to early retirement!

Apparently rcwambold is not as concerned with correctness as most collectors. In my experience, incorrect stocks always devalue a particular gun. Colt made a lot of fine guns with plastic stocks and that is the way they should be left.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Aw, Steve ... I know you and I both are, "traditionalists." But, Holy Moses, I can't imagine anyone saying, "Yeah, it's a really nice gun and the price is fair - but I won't take it unless you can come up with some of those authentic plastic grips that make my Colt look like Matty Matel's Saturday Night Special." Throw 'em in the garbage, put on some wooden ones - or even RUBBER! and consider yourself well rid of them. It's like working to perfect the hernia transplant! Come on, Steve - it's a COLT! not a Hubley.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fully intend to retain all original grips (stocks)on all of my weapons, Colt or otherwise. My intent is to find a temporary "fit" to shoot with, on these early firearms. I have collected alot of nice weapons over the years, but I never aquired one that I could not shoot. Thanks for everybody's comments.....Steve B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts