Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts

Colt Automatic Target Pistol .22 LR Serial Number 55070 - An early Model S "Pre-Woodsman" in very nice condition. This pistol belonged to firearms inventor Charles J. Jolidon as it was obtained by the previous owner directly from Charles J. Jolidon's son, Charles F. Jolidon.

Charles J. Jolidon was a designer of guns and gun improvements and held many patents in his name that were used by Colt and other firearms manufacturers. This Pre-Woodsman was accompanied by two original US Patents issued to Charles J. Jolidon: U.S. Patent 1310897 and U.S. Patent 1382197

Accompanying the gun is a letter from the Colt Historian indicating that they were able to find any shipping information on this gun (which is consistent with there being no VP (Colt's Verified Proof Mark) on the upper left flat of the trigger guard.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Nothing fancy about mine, just lots of sentimental value. A First Series from the 40's with replaced barrel and aftermarket grips. You can read more in detail on this Forum at this link: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/78479-colt-pilot-me.html

I have owned several Woodsman's over the years and consider them one of the finest and most accurate semi-auto rimfire made.

001.JPG

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well,

My preWoodsman is nothing unusual. Manufactured around 1920. All matching numbers. Original Diamond Stocks. Several magazines - 2 tone. It did come with a factory Bullseye Match Target 3 line magazine - which is really why I wanted it. Turns out finding a period-correct preWoodsman brass follower magazine, flat-sided, in mint condition has proven just as difficult (or more so) to find. Little original bluing left - but no rust, fortunately. What makes mine a bit unique is what it's attached to, as of just recently. A NIB N-S combination stock/holster. Pistol is a nice shooter, but a New-In-Box N-S is the kicker.

N-S Combination Stock & Holster.jpg Holster Stock.jpg N-S in Holster.jpg NS BRACKET.jpg Just for accuracy, NIB N-S is not my photo, but little difference from mine NIB just obtained courtesy of Major Rayburn. My preWoodsman is show in the NIB Holster. First photo is not mine but added because of the literature shown. I got no literature with mine, but it did come with I believe is the original oil paper. Last photo is my preWoodsman "shooter grade" in my other N-S, "Shooter grade" which is being refurbished at a well known local saddle shop. I am having the pistol retaining strap replace as it was worn through and pistol would not stay retained in holster. I am also having the entire leather reconditioned so as to "pretty it up" from a few scuff marks. Hope to have it back this week and will post how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,849 Posts
Here is a three digit number Pre-Woodsman. Near perfect condition. First year production. Still needing an oiler. Note the hole in the side of the magazine. This is the earliest version of the Woodsman Mag. Very rare.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Like your children or grandchildren, picking a favorite "Colt Woodsman" is hard because you are to love them all unconditionally and equally. Special are the birthday's celebrated for each and as such pictured here are two of my Centennial Birthday Boy's.

Foremost pictured and considered by many as the "Holy Grail" is serial number 1.
Rearmost pictured and playing second fiddle is serial number 7.

SN #1 & #7 038.JPG

More pictures to follow.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Note the hole in the side of the magazine. This is the earliest version of the Woodsman Mag. Very rare.
Very rare indeed. Hard to tell exactly when the change was made, since mags can be easily swapped, but my best guess, based on my observations, is around sn 1000.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
The box is real too! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have had 2 or 3 with the same type box and labels that were "one owner" guns. The first few thousand 2nd series guns were 6 inch Match Targets, so apparently they used this type box for the Sport for a while until they could make up some shorter boxes. I think it is the same box used for the government model.

Bob Rayburn

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Here is one of the Pre-War/Post-War (or is it Post-War/Pre-War ?) Woodsmans that was assembled from remaining parts in 1946 and just prior to the introduction of the Second Series models. I have the extended length brown plastic stocks too but I liked the pre-war style better. (edited to add: The Factory Letter shows this one shipped on 11/14/46)
The postwar/prewars are very interesting. One could build a collection based on them alone. Some have postwar blue, some have prewar type blue, and some are mixed. The boxes are interesting too. Hinged or two piece, and different sizes. Grips of walnut, some of plastic.

Bob Rayburn

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Like your children or grandchildren, picking a favorite "Colt Woodsman" is hard because you are to love them all unconditionally and equally. Special are the birthday's celebrated for each and as such pictured here are two of my Centennial Birthday Boy's.

Foremost pictured and considered by many as the "Holy Grail" is serial number 1.
Rearmost pictured and playing second fiddle is serial number 7.
Great guns Tom! Glad to see you go public with your Holy Grail. I have wanted to mention it many times but kept quiet to respect your privacy.

Bob Rayburn

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I sold my Woodsman collection a few years ago - over 200 guns. But I kept a few, including this factory engraved matched pair. They were shipped to the two brothers at Decker Bros Sporting Goods in Mason City IA on Feb 2, 1939, when I was 12 days old. Only about 11 pre-WWII Match Targets were factory engraved and this was the only matched pair. Both were cased, but one case was lost years ago. If anyone has it, or one like it, you could really have me over a barrel!

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,849 Posts
1 - 20 of 326 Posts