Colt Forum banner

261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Made in 1968. This is a very interesting Colt 3rd series Woodsman. I have the original shipping information for this pistol. According to the invoice it was shipped to the American Embassy in Guatemala, March 16, 1970, to G.F. Horne, American Embassy, Guatemala, APO New York,NY 09891. Condition is LNIB.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Doug (dkay62) I have the twin to yours . . . sort of. Mine's a '49 and when I found it it had a 6" barrel that had been threaded at the muzzel and a home made flash suppressor installed. Also has thumb rest wood stocks rather than the originals. That barrel was a complete Bubba job but the rest of the pistol was great, so I bought it. To make a long story short, I found a 4" Sport barrel on ebay for next to nothing and installed it just to see how much professional fitting would be required. Turns out nothing more was needed. Feeds perfectly and I've never owned a more accurate (or fun) .22 pistol or revolver. Gets me excited to go shoot it just telling you about it. I'm all in for $200.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Doug (dkay62) I have the twin to yours . . . sort of. Mine's a '49 and when I found it it had a 6" barrel that had been threaded at the muzzel and a home made flash suppressor installed. Also has thumb rest wood stocks rather than the originals. That barrel was a complete Bubba job but the rest of the pistol was great, so I bought it. To make a long story short, I found a 4" Sport barrel on ebay for next to nothing and installed it just to see how much professional fitting would be required. Turns out nothing more was needed. Feeds perfectly and I've never owned a more accurate (or fun) .22 pistol or revolver. Gets me excited to go shoot it just telling you about it. I'm all in for $200.

Jim...that is a great ending. I would like to see the before and after pictures on that one.

The 2nd gen guns are by far my favorite because of the 1911 style magazine release and the machined (not stamped) slide stop.

The gun above, like most of the Woody's I acquire, got a new recoil spring kit from Wolff and a thorough cleaning. Sometimes it is necessary to replace the mainsprings in them to get decent primer strikes too.

Took it to the range tonight and it runs like a sewing machine. The slide stays open after the last round every time. This group was shot at 21 feet offhand with Remington Thunderbolt ammunition.

LEPD 021820.jpg

1948 Woodsman Sport GIF.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1937 Woodsman. The first pistol I ever shot. Went from my grandfather, to my uncle, and finally to me a few years ago when I returned from overseas for the last time. I learned to shoot on this pistol when I was 10. Finally sent out for a letter. Since my family is from Boston I was wondering where it was shipped. Seems it made its way from PA to Boston sometime early in its life. Shipped on Sept. 15, 1937 to Snowden's, Inc. in Media, PA. 5 guns in the shipment.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My 1937 Woodsman. The first pistol I ever shot. Went from my grandfather, to my uncle, and finally to me a few years ago when I returned from overseas for the last time. I learned to shoot on this pistol when I was 10. Finally sent out for a letter. Since my family is from Boston I was wondering where it was shipped. Seems it made its way from PA to Boston sometime early in its life. Shipped on Sept. 15, 1937 to Snowden's, Inc. in Media, PA. 5 guns in the shipment.
Love Colts that have family history. Sweet Woodsman!

261 - 280 of 320 Posts