Colt Forum banner

321 - 327 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Howdy all! I have this Woodsman that is basically a shooter with some family attachment. I recently acquired it. I cleaned it, lubricated, and took it out. Shoots wonderfully accurate! But alas, it has some issues.
#1) it decides to feed sporadically - every 3-5 rounds fail to feed.
#2) it doesn't always extract! (1/25 rounds)
#3) the magazine will not "fall" out like my other Woodsman or Huntsman.

But it is an amazing shooter! Wanting to give it to my 2nd oldest son - and holster recommendations would also be appreciated!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I would detail strip the slide and make sure that the extractor, and the tunnel for it in the slide are clean and the extractor flexes and moves freely. It may not be a bad idea to replace the recoil spring in the slide too. Disassembly of the slide can be tricky. Instructions from Maj. Rayburn's website are here: 22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman and there may be a video or two on Youtube as well. That old Woodsman looks like it has a lot of miles on it and may just need a really thorough cleaning and springs.
Those target stocks may be Ropers which are popular and valuable. They also may be the cause of the magazine not dropping free. Check the function with them off the frame and see if you can spot where something may be binding.
Pretty hard to wear a Woodsman out, I'll bet with a little TLC it will run like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you all for your PM's and suggestions! I did the HOLY COW version of disassembly as recommended. Took a little under 2 hours. It was incredible how much mung was in all of the nooks and crannies of that thing!!
Yes, it does run like a sewing machine when cleaned up! I never fail to marvel at how glassy smooth that action is, and how simple it is for anyone to pick up a Woodsman and be accurate within a matter of a couple of magazines.
My 9 year old has basically claimed it at this point, and after he put 250+/- rounds through it this afternoon - he shoots it like he owns it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

321 - 327 of 327 Posts