Colt Forum banner

341 - 360 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm kinda disappointed in all you Woodsman fans. Not one mention or comment on my latest pistol. Did nobody notice the side plate? The dealer had it marked at $399, and when I fondled it I mentioned the crooked side plate and slide stop/release didn't work right. I handed it back and he played with it it, too. He hem'd and haw'd for a minute before asking If I'd give $299 for it. Well, yeah..... Even knowing it is a reblue and wearing Huntsman grips and a 3rd series mag. As soon as I was home and pulled the grip, I could see that the spring was not captured. Pulled the pin and aligned the spring, loosened the plate screw and slipped it into position, re-tightened, and everything works great.....

See?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
$299? I'd be buying all day long. I see two others of yours with trigger shoes. I like them - anyone else ue a trigger shoe?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Did I ever tell you that I liked the Model S? The rope and wire was made by a close friend who ranches in Colorado - and given to me after I invited him to the Denver Colt Collector's assoc annual show then out to dinner with the jefas. The glazed plaque on the right is of a 1903 Model M made and given to me by my youngest son, Andrew, for my birthday almost 20 years ago. Andrew was murdered in August 2019. Both are priceless to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I scored a decent shooter grade 1949 Woodsman Match Target a week or so ago. It's been a shooter, and has an honest 71 year old patina, bluing on front and back strap and trigger guard is faded. Grips are very good still, and it shoots like a dream! Really liking it. The thumb style mag release and locking open on empty mag are preferred to my 1954 Challenger and 1975 Match Target. The only down side is the magazine's aren't compatible, so I only have the one series 2 mag. (If anyone has a spare one or more please contact me! Having a hard time finding any)....anyway, the '49 is a beauty! I don't see the MT very often up here, especially a series 2, so I wasn't going to pass it up for $500 USD....

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Wow , Ypu didn't buy it you stole it !

Nice find.

Craig

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you gents. When I saw the 4 digit S serial number I didn't dicker, just said I will take it.

Edit: I did a bunch of reading today, and then got looking at the mags I had for the Challenger and Series 3 (1975) Match Target I have. The older Challenger mags didn't have the slot cut in them, but the later Series 3 mags did...they hadn't engaged when I first tried them in the Series 2 MT, but I had tried them with the slide closed. When I locked slide back and inserted them (quite) firmly, they did engage, and slide then closed no problem, and mags ejected properly! So I believe they actually will work, going to try them tomorrow. That gives me 4 mags I can use in it. Good enough!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

Colt Automatic Target Pistol .22 LR Serial Number 55070 - An early Model S "Pre-Woodsman" in very nice condition. This pistol belonged to firearms inventor Charles J. Jolidon as it was obtained by the previous owner directly from Charles J. Jolidon's son, Charles F. Jolidon.

Charles J. Jolidon was a designer of guns and gun improvements and held many patents in his name that were used by Colt and other firearms manufacturers. This Pre-Woodsman was accompanied by two original US Patents issued to Charles J. Jolidon: U.S. Patent 1310897 and U.S. Patent 1382197

Accompanying the gun is a letter from the Colt Historian indicating that they were able to find any shipping information on this gun (which is consistent with there being no VP (Colt's Verified Proof Mark) on the upper left flat of the trigger guard.
I have a 2nd Mofel Woodsman Match Target that was ordered in December of 1948 and received in late January of 1949. Fortunately, I got a bunch of provenance records with the gun. The serial on my MT is 22xxx-S. The original owner ordered a set of Sanderson target grips in 1954 and they are still on the gun. Your gun was probably made in 1950 (early as you surmised) but it would not be a "Pre-Woodsman. Sounds like you got some great provenance with your Colt also! Happy shooting!

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I have a 2nd Mofel Woodsman Match Target that was ordered in December of 1948 and received in late January of 1949. Fortunately, I got a bunch of provenance records with the gun. The serial on my MT is 22xxx-S. The original owner ordered a set of Sanderson target grips in 1954 and they are still on the gun. Your gun was probably made in 1950 (early as you surmised) but it would not be a "Pre-Woodsman. Sounds like you got some great provenance with your Colt also! Happy shooting!
Thanks for the response. My gun is much earlier than you think. There is no “S” in the serial number of my gun, so it’s an early pre-WW2 example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thanks for the response. My gun is much earlier than you think. There is no “S” in the serial number of my gun, so it’s an early pre-WW2 example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sorry about the confusion, I thought your original post mentioned the -S.

341 - 360 of 398 Posts