Colt Forum banner

361 - 380 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well....sometimes the stars kind of line up. I picked up that 1949 MT I posted earlier not long ago, we rarely see them for sale here....and yet tonight, I score another 1949 Match Target, 4 digit S. With original box, and 2 magazines. I kid you not. I won't get it in my hands for probably 10 days or 2 weeks, because of transfer and shipping. It is only 183 off (earlier) from my other gun! 9472 S, and now, 9289 S!

I couldn't pass this one up either ($730 USD shipped. Seriously). Photo from the seller. When I get it, I will do a side by side with both of them. I'm pretty happy, maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket....

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Can you please post pictures of the inside of the box? Outside surfaces, too? Thanks. Great acquisition and great price!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you please post pictures of the inside of the box? Outside surfaces, too? Thanks. Great acquisition and great price!
I certainly will. Just completed the transfer with the Firearms Center here, expect transfer will be approved by tomorrow noon, and hopefully have it in my hands by middle of next week. And then I will see just exactly what I actually got, as the seller didn't send many pictures, and the quality wasn't the best. But I still had to do it. Hopefully I am not disappointed.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got this a few months ago. 1937s King Super Target.

This gun appears to have had all the upgrades, the full sight rib and under barrel weight but also a fully checkered front and backstrap. It came in a nice vintage custom case. It looks like they reblued one of the magazines when they redid the gun after checkering it.

The underweight tube contains a cylindrical weight ...tube inside it. And inside it are what feels like individual weights but it's got a screw that won't turn so it'll stay a mystery.

(The coffee mug is a gag from the show Silicon Valley)

Two King Woodsman and an Ace

·
Registered
48 Posts
The one with the weight system looks like the one that Gloria Jacobs used to set national records with in 1939.
King was very proud of that one.

Regards,

Tam 3

·
Registered
18 Posts
The one with the weight system looks like the one that Gloria Jacobs used to set national records with in 1939.
King was very proud
of that one.

Regards,

Tam 3
Here is a colt woodsman from 1932, I purchased it from Gander Mountain when they declared bankruptcy.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I got this a few months ago. 1937s King Super Target.

This gun appears to have had all the upgrades, the full sight rib and under barrel weight but also a fully checkered front and backstrap. It came in a nice vintage custom case. It looks like they reblued one of the magazines when they redid the gun after checkering it.

The underweight tube contains a cylindrical weight ...tube inside it. And inside it are what feels like individual weights but it's got a screw that won't turn so it'll stay a mystery.

(The coffee mug is a gag from the show Silicon Valley)

Two King Woodsman and an Ace
The Sport model (4-1/2" ) barrel could accommodate only one of the King weights. It could be a heavy metal cylindrical container filled with mercury and with a screw off cap, or a lightweight aluminum cylinder, or medium weight steel cylinder. The shooter could use the weight that suited him best. Those are the only types I have seen in any of my guns.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, my (second) 1949 Match Target showed up today. It is quite a bit better than the one I picked up a few weeks ago, in that the bluing is much better (but still 71 years old) and both mags are in better shape. The box is surprisingly good condition, but there is no paperwork. I believe it is correct, but would appreciate any insight. TC

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Nice looking 2nd Series Match Target. The box is period correct but the inside compartments with green felt is not factory.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The felt and compartment treatment might not be correct but that's a pretty groovy setup. The magazine "tray" is a nice touch, I'm liking it :)
Yep, someone who obviously loved their Colt MT Woodsman took the time to construct the felt lined interior for the box. It's a nice piece of period craft art. I made a custom interior for a walnut box purchased from Hampel's Woodland Products for my early post war .22 Conversion Kit and some accessory items.
Colt .22 Conversion Unit Presentation Case 3.JPG

361 - 380 of 398 Posts