Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
461 - 480 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Got another King Woodsman. These have the King ramp/mirror front, one with a big square, one with a small circular front, and the neat adjustable King made for Woodsman that can be adjusted for windage or elevation, with locking screws on each adjustment. The one on the top has much more wear, some rust in places. Most King guns were modified to be used and show it. Trigger is fantastic of course.

The one on the bottom is in better condition but again, well used. The mag has probably the original owners name on it and the front strap has his driver's license number I suspect. Trigger guard is worn heavily. Maybe from putting it in and out of a holster 1000s of times?

The square one has a square rear, and the round one yep has a round outlined rear

Round from the rear:

Square from the front showing the adjustment marks.

Edit-
If you ever find yourself in possession of this type of King sight and want to adjust it the two smaller screws are lock screws for the larger adjustment screws. Took me a bit of tinkering to figure it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those are pretty sweet. Have you lettered any of them? What kind of weights are in the top one?
Thanks! I really love Woodsman, which I consider to be the perfect 22 pistol, and collect King stuff so they are special to me. The KST has a steel tube with mercury inside it. I didn’t know what it was at first and tried to open it, failing thankfully. It’s sealed well.

I haven’t lettered any of them. One day I’ll bite the bullet and get them done. I know King bought directly from Colt and resold guns and also people sent their guns in after purchase so a letter would show the former but King work done after the sale wouldnt letter I’d think. Maybe something else interesting would show.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
That's an outstanding example. I have always wondered if those Pre War/Post War Woodsmans that were assembled from remaining First Series parts were being sold at a discount prior to the introduction of the Second Series pistols, or if they were just sold to customers who were hungry for guns in that early post war period and Colt's kept the pending release of the improved models a secret until the old parts had been used up and the new guns were about ready to ship.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Cut down MT, King reflector front and rear, unusual Ropers that were just repaired.

A friend thinks this was a ranch gun, some type of working sidearm given the mods and heavy wear. Side of barrel shows a pattern of discoloration that suggests a leather holster or cloth was up against it for a long time. I agree with the working gun theory. The action had a thick layer of crud everywhere. Mag is 2 line which I suspect is wrong. Serial likely means 1st year.

Forum member repaired the grips and did a fantastic job. Lots of breaks in thin spots.

461 - 480 of 508 Posts