Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Colt Woodsman Match Target manufactured in 1956. It is a series 3. It has what the customer is calling a removable "deflector" on the end of the barrel that just slides on and off. We cannot find any information about this accessory and are looking to identify it. Can someone please help.

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Muzzle Brake

Welcome to the Forum
That "deflector" is a muzzle brake that is used to help reduce muzzle flip when shooting rapid fire. I've never seen that style before but I imagine there were a few company's that made muzzle brakes for the Colt Woodsman but you don't see very many anymore. The one that I'm familiar with uses the rear pin on the front sight to secure it to the barrel. The one that I have is unmarked by the maker. I've never seen the one that you have.

IMG_0812.jpg IMG_0811.jpg

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
As per Blue Book of Gun Values: Muzzle Brake
A muzzle device (permanent or removable) or barrel modification which reduces muzzle jump and recoil by diverting propellant gases gases sideways or to the rear. Not to be confused with a flash hider or flash suppressor.
Varying aftermarket manufactures.

·
Premium Member
4,236 Posts
I've seen muzzle brakes like the one in the original poster's photos that fit Smith & Wesson K and N frame revolvers, but I don't remember (if I ever knew) the name of the manufacturer. The angled "deflector" is unusual.

- Buckspen

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Forum member “colt22dotcom” might be able to ID it. His website by the same name also has a lot of good information.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you.
The one pictured in your post is a 2nd Series Match Target. They were manufactured 1947-1955
The thread O.P's and mine pictured in Post#2 are 3rd Series Match Targets produced 1955-1977

Thought they were Series 2 or 2nd Model?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
2nd Series has the magazine release like a Colt 1911. 1st and 3rd Series have the release at the bottom of the grip frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts