Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. About a year and a half ago, I posted asking if anyone might have a line on where I could get a shoulder holster made for a 1960 Colt Woodsman Sporter. I wanted one, because belt carry can give me some back discomfort the next day if I carry more than a couple miles at a time, and I wanted to carry the Woodsman discretely under a jacket while walking in the woods.

Anyway, although I got some good suggestions here, none of them panned out, and neither did the other dozen or so leads I followed with other holster makers. The main problem, was that there wasn't a "blue gun" available to mold the holster, it wasn't your average job, and no one really wanted to spend the time and effort to help me out with a custom rig--until I contacted Adam's holsters in Michigan.

The owner, Luke Adams, listened carefully to what I wanted and why, and said he'd do some research to try to help me out. Long story short, he found a blue gun that would work well enough and put together the shoulder rig in the photo I've attached below. So, for anyone interested in a shoulder holster for a Colt Woodsman (or some other handgun requiring some custom work) you might consider giving Adam's Holsters a try.

Woodsman Shoulder Holster (edited).jpg

Oh, and ​Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
518 Posts
That was awfully nice of Mr. Adams to make you a custom holster. It's nice to know in a time when folks just want or need to crank out high numbers of whatever they're making that there are still a few folks out there that value custom service.

Nice rig and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can you share with us the ballpark cost of such a rig? Looks very functional and I too have a 1st and a 2nd issue Woodsman Sport in need of a quality holster......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the compliments!

Wolfchief, before I answer your question, let me say that there is "price" and then there is "value." Luke will not stop working for you until you are satisfied. This project was a bit of a learning experience for both of us.

First, the magazine carrier had to be sent back and tweaked because he made the carrier to accommodate Gen. 1 magazines, not realizing that Gen. 3 magaines, like mine, are slightly different. There was no charge other than my cost to ship the carrier. His solution to the problem was brilliant, and more importantly, looked first-rate.

A similar situation came up with the tie-down for the holster, which was too long for where the rig fit me. I paid to ship the tie-down to him, but Luke did the modification and got it back to me quickly and at no charge. Again, an ingenious solution that looked great.

I suppose I could have been a tightwad and insisted ​he pay my shipping costs, but I didn't because he is so professional, loves his work, keeps you updated, and will go to the wall to make things right for you.

One other thing I should mention. I've had two other shoulder rigs done for me by place in New York state. They're great rigs, but they use a softer and thicker leather for the harness. Luke Adams makes a harness with thinner, more rigid leather. It's tougher and a little less bulky. I've come to really like it, but it takes a little bit of getting used to.

All that being said, I paid about $350. It wasn't cheap, but an excellent value. I couldn't be happier and will have him do more work for me in the near future.

·
Registered
622 Posts
That is a Classy piece of work, and while some may think its expensive, I think its well worth the price............now, and for years to come.

Tom

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I think that that is an excellent value, and not at all too "expensive". What a beautiful rig! I think that you did very well, and if I were to need a custom holster, I will certainly keep this gentleman in mind.

Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us. I have first series I always carry in the woods, that shoulder holster looks superb.

Craig

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for those comments. When I found someone who would make one, I thought I should let folks know, because I didn't think I was the only Woodsman owner who'd be interested in a shoulder rig.

Reactions: colt03
1 - 12 of 12 Posts