Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gentlemen trying to sell me a gun that he says was made in 1945 and was government issue. It was an engraved gun and i was wondering if Colt ever did any engraving from the factory or if it was engraved after it was produced. I have never saw another gun like this and it has my curiousity. Serial number of C 201XXX Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun

what do you guys think? what do you think the gun is worth?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
First off the serial number beginning in C is a commercial gun not issued by the government and it is called a "Government Model". Government issued guns are referred to as 1911 or 1911A1 The serial number goes to 1941 not 1945. Colt did provide engraving as an option however yours appears to be after market. The grips and probably the sights are after market. Better pictures would give us more info. Pricing is impossible without better and more pictures and descriptions of all the markings.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It's hard to tell anything from that picture. It doesn't look like factory work from what I can see. The only way to know for sure is to get a factory letter.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Check to see if it has the Swartz safety intact. Mfg date closer to 1940. If Swartz ( serial # C185006 - C215083 )consider purchasing it if the price is right. This pistol may have been returned from a foreign country like Brazil or Argentina. My feeling is not factory engraved.

For pictures and info on Swartz safety and foreign contracts consider Clawson's "Colt Government Models Commercial Series" pgs 55-66.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
The Government Model was probably manufactured in late 1946 depending on the full serial number, and everything Mike noted indicates the pistol has been thoroughly altered since that time.

Excuse me, I read the serial number wrong, and as Tedm indicated, it is a pre WWII commercial.

Try turning on the Macro feature of your camera, as it is focusing past the pistol. In this shot the box is in focus but the pistol is just a blur.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
these are the pictures that the guy gave me, again this is not my gun so the details that i can give on it and the pictures i can provide are limited. I am just trying to figure out if it is something worth me buying or not.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
You really need some sharp focused pix to tell anything about engraving. Pix of mine in the 1911 Nimschke item are marginal for engraving detail but quite a lot better. First rate engraving would much enhance its value over what little can be seen now.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the guy sending me more pictures tomorrow. He says that the gun was his grandads, his dads, and now his (and he is almost 50). I will post pictures for you guys soon. Thank you for all of your help so far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.